drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Copyright Issues???
Go to the bottom of this page Copyright Issues???
Author
myspace.com/ anarkyproductions

Registration Date: 02-08-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.50

safe peeps,i aint got a clue about copyright n was wanderin-im workin on a tune wiv sum speech samples off the film 'human traffic' n was wanderin wots illegal:
1)to sell the music wiv sample in(wudv fort so)
2)jus to play the music(not sure)
3)to rip the audio of the dvd in 1st place(if so everyfin iv jus sed is a lie! Huh )

n how the fuk on this earth wud an amateur producer like me even get the rites 2 the sampleConfused if thats wot required).

newayz ne help wud be great.ez

__
Spliff
08-09-2009 17:22 Homepage of Anarky
Punchinello Punchinello is a male
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2915.jpg

Registration Date: 07-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

if i am right?? u r allowed to use a sample if the new ur track turns into something completely new. a track of its own... (they used to be "some seconds 4 free" but if i remember right that has changed)

thats what i do:
if u r making music for urself u can use whatever u want. when u r starting to give the stuff around, starting to sell the stuff, then u got to b careful!!!!!!

imagine someone using ur stuff whithout asking 4 ur permission.
.. in the end u ARE using stuff somebody else did.

p.diddy who took the sample from the police, u remember???
(are u wanna make ur own music or not!?)

i made a remix 4 fun of "wir sind helden". i asked them if i may put it online but not 4 download. they said they r fine.

best way (thats what i do) is to write an email (if this is possible) to the guys u want to take a sample from and ask 4 their permission.

audio from dvds is (if i am right) has copyright too. again i am working on a new track where i am using some dialogue. im not making money with it yet, so im cool with it. but if i earn some maybe ill might have to take the dialogue out.

about JUST playing music:
u have to pay gema. or u should. every club manager knows that...
WE ALL KNOW THAT!!! ;-) if u r djing, etc.

BUT i guess some from this forum might have more specific knowledge.

last but not least...
imagine someone would want to do with ur music what u want to with somebody elses music...

KIND REGARDS,
chris

__
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." (Lisa Gerrard)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Punchinello: 08-09-2009 17:57.

08-09-2009 17:57 Homepage of Punchinello
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Elf It's okay to write normal english too...

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
08-09-2009 18:19 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

ez matey, if u put it into perspective, dnb / jungle is a whole genre that is based around sampling, not only breaks etc etc but also there is a large number of tunes out there where famous vocal speech samples (not to mention musical scores from movies) have been ripped by big dnb artists, with no credits to the original source.

end of the day its underground music, especially for unknown artists i wouldn't worry about it at all. the owners of the original material would only start worrying if u were makin a large amount of dosh of their backs which in pretty much all cases won't happen Wink

*imo ofcourse Devil

__

08-09-2009 18:56 Homepage of Ketz
Liquid Funkateer

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah watch out for creeps like Deadmau5 who sue people using his loops that ship with FL Studio though...

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Crispy Liquids: 08-09-2009 19:04.

08-09-2009 19:04 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

funny......... iv just done a track n sampled human traffic!

the part where hes on the phone to moff, NICE 1 BRAVVAHHHHH!!!!!

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

08-09-2009 19:55 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i wouldnt worry bout copywrite issues with dnb tbh.....the original owners of the work you have sampled from will probably only take notice if you start raking in the cash from the track with the sample, and with dnb thats unlikely Tongue

take the verve - bittersweet symphony for example, it samples an orchestral version of an old rolling stones track, the verve didnt clear the sample, made loads of money (went to no.1 didnt it?) and subsequently had to pay every single penny they made to the rolling stones.....so unless your track hits the big-time, im sure you'll be fine..... Drummer

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
09-09-2009 00:18 Homepage of Sephiroth
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
there is a large number of tunes out there where famous vocal speech samples (not to mention musical scores from movies) have been ripped by big dnb artists, with no credits to the original source.

Yes I agree. For example, in "Body Pump" by Drumsound and Bassline Smith, they use a song written by Thomas Newman, who did the soundtrack for the Shawshank Redemption, which was a very popular/successful movie. They literally ripped half of the song and stuck a breakbeat over it for their intro.

Donny has used sounds from Call of Duty 4, Limewax uses a LOT of sounds from Quake 3 in his songs, Audio's Warehouse uses a voice sample from System Shock 2 I believe. If you've ever listened to any dark DnB you'll also know a lot of big names use voice samples from horror films.

And as far as I know none of them have actually gotten clearance to use the samples.

Anyways, the point is like Ketz said, jungle and DnB have always been about sampling. Taking something existing and molding it into something new. If you make the sample unrecognizable then it is hard for anybody to claim copyright on it, but if you use a voice sample things could be much trickier.

The easiest way around using voice samples that are under copyright is just make your own!

However, I think a lot of good tunes (think about Bad Company - The Nine or Ed Rush & Optical - Alien Girl) don't use ANY (recognizable) vocal samples. So I don't think it's vocal samples that make the tune good.. if you can make a good, memorable tune without vocal samples, I think you're well on your way.
09-09-2009 08:23
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang

Audio's Warehouse uses a voice sample from System Shock 2 I believe. If you've ever listened to any dark DnB you'll also know a lot of big names use voice samples from horror films.

yeh i think he did, you can get the sample pack for system shock 2 from dnbwiki.com.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
09-09-2009 19:37 Homepage of Sephiroth
Liquid Funkateer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
yeh i think he did, you can get the sample pack for system shock 2 from dnbwiki.com.

Many, many of those links are down though mate. Unfortunately. Knownothing

__
09-09-2009 19:55 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Copyright Issues???