drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » punchy kick & snare sample???
Go to the bottom of this page punchy kick & snare sample???
Author
unregistered
hi everyone!

i am looking for some punchy kickdrum & snaredrum samples.
"drum n bassy" ones

does anybody know a good site?
im not looking for millions of samples. just a few good ones.

cheers,
chris
01-09-2009 00:49
fantasque
unregistered
by clicking samples... sorry, guys.
sometimes im so blind.
01-09-2009 01:08
Troubledb

Registration Date: 03-09-2009

hi im new on here & this is my first post. but after reading what you want i thought i would share my experience. if you get a normal kick (whatever sample it maybe) eq it so that you boost around 100hz & remove anything below 80hz (leaves room for sub). export this & then drop it back in replacing the original. add a touch of distortion. nothing major just enough to give it a better kick.export this & replace the original. then for snare i usually have at least 2. boost first snare around 200hz & do the same as you did with the kick. export & add back in to the mix replacing original. then create a group & add kick & SD. compress a touch so you get that nice punchy feel. 2nd snare needs to be thinned out & cut off at about 250hz maybe a touch more. apply low in the mix with the other SD. this adds a bit of crisp to it. job done. hope this was useful.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Troubledb: 03-09-2009 11:59.

03-09-2009 11:59
Tukon

Registration Date: 05-09-2009

check FAQ

__
Myspace
05-09-2009 16:48
Anarky Anarky is a male
myspace.com/ anarkyproductions

Registration Date: 02-08-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.50

best samplepacks going especially 4 drums is the vengeance packs-i got v3 n for single drum hits i use nuffin els.also alot of the samples r so nicely made that no eq'in is even nessacary sumtimes, but wen it dus cum 2 eq'in ther r rough guidelines but it always depends on the frequencies on the sound ur actually usin.for breaks n stuff u wana go 4 d&b specific samplepacks-david carbones masterclass,ez rollers pro pack r cupple i use.

__
Spliff
06-09-2009 00:29 Homepage of Anarky
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

also remember u can make ur own custom kick n snare shots with multiple hits, each eq'd separately to give them that "punch"

__

06-09-2009 08:52 Homepage of Ketz
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

Good suggestions so far,

Another thing I would suggest is looking for things that you might not think of sampling for a kick. I have looked in a lot of DnB sample packs and they all have really flabby, quiet breakbeat kicks that are hard to make punchy (but are good for genres like liquid). One thing that I like to do is use kicks that sound like they might belong in a club tune, kicks sampled from a dance sample pack or the Vengeance series. Unlike some trance and house kicks, the clubby ones are usually higher up on the frequency spectrum to allow room for subbass and they are very punchy. Layer a snare and a break and you've already got the drums sorted out.

Mistabishi has said in his MasterClass tutorials that he uses samples of things like footballs being punted or a basketball being bounced.. use your imagination!

With snares you either need good samples from acoustic sets if you're lucky, or just layer snares together that have parts you like. For example, if you find a snappy snare that sounds good but is too thin, layer a thick, crunchy snare with a better tail underneath the first snare and EQ them so they sound like one snare. Presto.

Knowing how to pick good samples is another different subject however..
08-09-2009 04:10
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

After posting all of that I realize maybe perhaps I didn't answer the question.

I have the Vengeance Essential Club Sounds 2 sample pack which has a mixture of hardcore, club, trance, tekhouse etc. one shots, loops, and synth samples. I suggest getting this or something similar that is FULL of 1 shots. I also recommend the samples posted in the Samples section of this website, there is a lot of good shit there that's been posted by your fellow Dotbe crew.

You'll also want some break packs, which you can find again in the Sample section and practically anywhere on the net (DOA has break threads all the time). Even sample CDs if you can get your hands on some, there are a lot of good CDs out there.

Infact, even if you just had good break samples, you can cut very nice kicks and snares from them and use those as your one shots.

Those are some ideas for where you might want to look for your samples, which I believe answers your question?

Another point you might want to figure out while you're looking for samples is what makes a kick or a snare punchy. And the answer is simply layering. No sample pack is going to have the perfect kick and snare for your needs, you often need to combine sounds.

So the anatomy of a punchy kick drum:
-One kick hit that hits at around 100hz, this is what gives it the THUD, however by itself it usually sounds like shit.
-This is why you layer a second kick beneath the first, to give it low end presence. This fills out the kick, makes it really boom. Just make sure it doesn't go so low that it interferes with the sub bass. If your break already has a decent kick in it, it might only need one kick on top of it to complete the equation.

For the snare drum, it's basically the same as kick drum. You are looking for a snare that has a lot of "snap", that sounds like a whip being cracked. This can be higher up in the frequency spectrum towards 200hz, just be sure to layer another snare beneath it that gives it a tail. White noise is sometimes also used behind a snare for this purpose. Often a lower snare is used, one that sits around 120hz close to the snare. Maybe a pitched tom could do. This simply fattens the first snare, as we did with the kick drum.

Its the same principle, making both elements punchy. It's finding those samples that you can combine together with other samples. Now that you know what you kinda want to do with your samples, you might have an easier time finding the right ones. And finding them is as easy as browsing the sample section here on dotbe. Wink

Finally you'll probably want to route both your kick and snare to the same mixer channel and slap a little bit of compression on there to tie them together. To get really good drums, you want them to sound like they're from the same kit. And in the same space as the rest of your instruments. The compression helps give that illusion. Might want to compress the break there too (that's up to taste), but I wouldn't recommend compressing the cymbals much.

Anyways most of this stuff is already in this thread or on the board already, I'm just summarizing it. Bigup Let me know if you have any questions.
08-09-2009 08:29
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » punchy kick & snare sample???