drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Remixing
Go to the bottom of this page Remixing
Author
Blazed Bandits

Registration Date: 20-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hi all,

Been a while, ive been secretly inventing my syle and im finaly getting prettty good now. Id like to remix some orignal drum n bass tunes however cannot cleanly sample some of them. Ive heard others remix original tunes and its almost as if the authors sent them wav files of sounds andor sequences. How do i go about getting this? you know like high contrast does some remixes of tunes some are boot leg, how does he get the sounds i mean its the original but with dnb layerd on it. But he hasnt done it by canceliing becuase it sounds to clean. Any websites samplepacks etc to help?
Cheers
25-08-2009 23:56
wrm
orchestral/idm/deep/liquid/experi/mental

images/avatars/avatar-2659.jpg

Registration Date: 13-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

You shouldn't do a remix of a track without the artist's permision (except if it is a remix contest) - if the artist is fine with your atempt at doing a remix he will sent you all needed samples for the remix. Doing a remix by sampling the original tune is a solution too, but, you won't be able to get out the sounds you want cos there is usually a break or a bass line over them let's say. I think the same goes with bootleg tracks you talk about. I am not sure which track from HC you mean but I think he got the samples from the artist right away (he has a big name in dnb industry and making a dnb tracks from let's say a pop tune is an honor for some artist IMO).

If u want to have a go at remixing some tunes search for accapelas on the internet. They are free for use (I think) - like Beastie Boys offer they accapelas on they web. And look for remix contests (Lynx & Kemo did a contest for their tune lately).

Hope it helps, wrm

__
___ Visit MYspace ___
26-08-2009 10:11 Homepage of wrm
2k20

Registration Date: 23-08-2009

if your using protools there is a way to strip the orig track down. its a pro tools OLNY plug in so lets move on from that and into the real world.

you have a few options and i will give you the best one first. while reading this remember one thing, as your doing a 'remix' you dont want it to sound the same 100% at all so your not looking for a perfect result in the sampling. after you add some eq and distortion it wont sound the same anyway so its not a big problem as long as you get 90% or more. well, thats how i see it anyway......

best option - adobe audition 3 (AMAZING TOY!!!)

in audition you will find.........
1) nice eq to edit your sample and save a diff file name
2) noise reduction. LEARN THIS WELL! highlight the 'bad' area, capture profile (button), select all file (button), remove noise. you can set the % of reduction and you can undo. remove 85% first time to test. *** select the beat as the noise and it will remove the beat all through the track and so on.

second option - WAVES EQ (10 band or more)

just using a STEREO 10 chan eq you can get the things out you want out. maybe add a few eq's into the chan to do it in stages. after your finished export the WAV and go in for your next sample. this way you can free up the 'power' of your computer to write the track later.

there are more options but these are the only 2 i would recomend. get ADOBE AUDITION 2 and ALL WAVES PACKS and you will find your music production moves on in one big step. if your using reason let me know as there is one more option there that is nice too.

REMEMBER - half the process of production is getting the right sounds. dont be afraid to spend a few days getting the sounds right. i do it all the time. i spend over a month getting the samples from OMAN by the PRODIGY to start the remix. check it out below.

http://www.jukeboxalive.com/audio_play_o...25&skin=2299027

any questions feel free to email me. i do have the software i talked about and far far far more sexy toys if your interested.

lukeis2k20@yahoo.co.uk

Luke Wilson
from UK but living in Malaysia
26-08-2009 18:40
c0rksteria c0rksteria is a male
Blazed Bandits

Registration Date: 20-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

Wicked boys, brilliant. none of you held back in repsnses either both thourough and very helpful. Much appreciated, very much appreciated.
27-08-2009 12:05
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

You can basically remove anything you have seperate:
if you have a bassline + vocals, and you have the same bassline without the vocals as well, then you can get just the vocals alone too.

The idea: If you have a sine, and you add the same sine but with the phase inverted, you'll get no sound (sine + sine inverted = 0)

How to do it: Position the bassline with & without vocals at the same spot, and make it so one's phase is inverted from the other. FL Studio has a "Phase Inverter" in its list of effects by default, since it's a rather basic tool, it's likely that other DAW's will have it too. Use this to try to cancel the bassline out and keep only the vocals.

Why this won't work 100%: If compression or other effects were applied to a channel featuring both the bassline AND the vocals (such as the master channel), you'll have a problem since effects like compression will behave differently if the vocals are present.

After this, you can only give it a go and try everything that could possibly help. When equalizing, notches can always chance the sound a great deal.

Every case is different of course, and you can spend a lot of time getting it only slightly like you want it, or be pretty happy about it in just a few minutes.

Good luck!

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
29-08-2009 11:35 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Remixing