drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » hi guys
Go to the bottom of this page hi guys
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 22-07-2009

hi guys i have been without the internet for a year now just come back online forgot my username/password so i have had to create another.
anyways i remembered my doa and have been there for the past week with my production ales and woes, i see some of you on here are doa heads and thats cool but when i ask production related questions however trivial i always get posted replys with criticism (i even had one guy rant and rave about my use of the english language punctuation and grammer Confused )
well my main reason for this thread was to get some insight. whilst being offline i also did not have the use of a pc to hone my producing and kinda went off the game but now i am back and willing to learn as i am trawling how many sites for musical knowledge, but i feel i am being jerked around when i ask about simple things, i have read some of the threads here and have seen that you guys deal patiently with midnoobs like me, so enough of that heres some questions.
(i am mainly gonna ask for explanations)

1)i hear this a lot but never got explanations RE-SAMPLE i kinda get the jist in what it's saying it's how we doing it that i get stuck with.

2)a question that i can't work out with bass i like most all types of dnb when i make a bassline i cant get my head around how i can achieve the sound i want for instance i want a growl type bass so i make a growl sound it has bass under do i eq out the bottom so it's just a mid n high sound then make a sub to go under it, or leave it as it is but eq off the lower end up to 50hz and just tweek the other bands (i know this might sound stupid to some and may have to explain further later on)
or a reese i would use 3x osc but say use 2 of the oscs both saw do the normal detune stuff till im happy but then im stuck on what to do next with it fx wise.
plus if any of you have some good ways to make decent bass sounds in fruity not how you make your bass but near enough say to a certain producer eg dillinja clipz noisia etc etc so that i can tweek in my own style

3)EQ the bain of my life im trying to learn and i ask questions on doa but to no avail. i hear the sayings cut low end, high end, boost here do this etc etc and it's fine as i kinda get what your sying but putting into practice is another thing, i have a pic of a sub that i had eq'd and asked about but with no response.
http://www.4shared.com/file/118722691/53..._sub_setup.html
what i was asking is had i done this right obviously i wouldn't have thought that you could tell without seeing the spectrum of the hit i don't know.
plus whats a good spectral analyzer for fruity that i can see what freqs are the loudest etc.

4)THE BUS not my local down the high street again i kinda get what its used for i think that it is for a group of sounds in the same catargory (drums bass percs etc)to be further processed together rather then individual so they sit more tightly. my question is in fruity what and how are we bussing sounds is it the sends??? im lost..

i aint gonna fill this thread up straight away as i feel there are more questions that i will pick your brains about later but all responses are greatly thanked upon by myself i just want to learn i dont want quick fixes but there are things that i get stuck on, i like vid tuts that teach as you go but all links are appreciated too..

once again thanks for your patience and your knowledge
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
22-07-2009 21:44
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Wow Mrs Rowling, that looks like book nr 8 in the harry potter series... Big Grin

Maybe it's a good idea to split things out in different threads because this way things will get complicated.

For nr1. Resampling or bouncing simply means that you save a part of your track as WAV file and then reload it. This comes in handy to save CPU load because all the effects and things can be taken off after reloading the sound.

Tired now Sleep

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-07-2009 23:03 Homepage of BattleDrone
Krisch Krisch is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2727.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

Still nr1

Yet another twisty bass 'tutorial'
22-07-2009 23:21 Homepage of Krisch
dannyb1
Tourist

ahh ok so you mean go to export as - wav and then take out the part of the track from my pattern arrangement and reload it into where you would see the automation points, and fill in the gaps that i deleated in the pattern part. im having a guess that's right but what happens to say if it was my bass and it plays out over 4 bars and i had fxs and a unique automation on it would it lose that automation and fx's and just record the wav plain or record all the events, plus how would i get it to record over the 4 bars and not just one. hold up im gonna take a stab and say when i export do i do it in pattern mode to record the 4 bar loop.
sorry i do waffle a bit.
and just another thing with resample/bounce is that say for a bass and i think i might be answering my own question here or starting another that you do 1 instance of your bass in low 1 in mid and 1 in high resample then layer them together, no sorry different question iim trying to get onto LAYERING.
il ask about that later.
thanks for now

Drummer
22-07-2009 23:36
dannyb1
Tourist

quote:
Originally posted by Krisch
Still nr1

Yet another twisty bass 'tutorial'

very nice thank you i could not understand the first post but the second worked because i could relate to fls, will read it some more and try make sense of it and ass around and try and use the method.
my main urggggh on that was the use of filters and eq i more or less know about eq but when you say take the bottom of this out at around 50hz and hit this spot and boost here it gets kinda confusing as i will use a eq in fruity wether it be the para, 7 band or what if you said cut from 50 i would have the first eq at 50 and turn it or drop it to 0 actually if you look at the photo you would know what i mean it's what i did to a sub cut around 70 gains around then cuts at 120.
again im sorry if you feel like im jabbering on but i think i know some of this but it's putting it into practice and getting the guidance of people who know.
link to sub setup pic
http://www.4shared.com/file/118722691/535fa694
22-07-2009 23:57
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

wow! thats a lot of stuff u need answers for man lol if i were u i wouldn't try n take everything at once - its is a hell of a lot with dnb production. ideally just start putting everything u already know into practice, try to make a tune and then upload it to this site and u should get feedback on what areas in particular u are lacking. also just try tackle each issue one by one would probably help avoid information overload!

can't really answer all ur quesitons and in full either but here's some responses i came up with:

1. as for "resampling" BD pretty much nailed it. u are asking if u would lose ur automations if u export, well you won't unless u bypass the fx (just solo the channel/s that you need so u r exporting exactly what u intend to). to get it to record over 4 bars instead of 1 just adjust ur loop points when u are exporting out of FL - simple

2. with bass there are endless ways of putting them together u just need to experiment and see what method works for you the best. when it comes to processing distortion and eq are really good tools to help sculpt ur sound, try playing with things like saturation, chorus / flange / phaser in different combos to get a variety of textures. also start experimenting with lfo filters and envelopes to help inject more movement into ur basses.

3. EQ - use ur ears! (easier said than done but over time u will develop a better hearing the more u start to eq all the sounds in ur mix). all it is is taking out the frequencies you don't need and boosting the ones you want to stand out more. can't download ur sub sample as i've rinsed my download limit lol but what i would normally do is make sure the sub is peaking around the 50hz region, cut at 30hz as don't need anything below that and also make a sharp cut around 80hz (where the kick will normally sit to allow it to come thru better) thats about it, subs are simple sounds so best not to overcomplicate ur approach to them

anways, welcome back to the forum, i'm not suprised at the doa response tho lol they tend to be like that on there Big Grin ez!

__

23-07-2009 00:01 Homepage of Ketz
dannyb1
Tourist

cheers mate the dumb thing is i probably know what im talking about in some instances but am fart assing around the fact. i will put a link on to one of my tracks along with a pic of what i interpreted as cutting a sub with eq and filter although thats another thing i need help with filtering where and why.
like i keep saying SORRY i have some knowledge in what im doing it's just a case of why am i doing this to achieve this and how Spliff

track link
http://www.4shared.com/file/118303959/a3...tonmaster2.html

pic link
http://www.4shared.com/file/118722691/53..._sub_setup.html

i think its enuff of me wobbling on for tonight need a fresh head as i am gonna put my efforts into finishing what ive already started but feel like going back to the drawing board with it and starting again.
Devil

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dannyb1: 23-07-2009 00:26.

23-07-2009 00:23
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » hi guys