drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Question #020 (cynicism)
Go to the bottom of this page Question #020 (cynicism)
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.
-General Patton

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
-George Carlin

Cynicism is humour in ill health.
-H. G. Wells

What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
-Oscar Wilde

Cynicism is that blackguard defect of vision which compels us to see the world as it is, instead of as it should be.
-Ambrose Bierce

Cynicism - the intellectual cripple's substitute for intelligence.
- Russell Lynes

I'm cynical about cynicism. I don't believe that most cynicism is really about knowing better. When I see someone being cynical, my first thought is that they're trying to show off their sophistication and assert superiority over the naive.
-lesswrong.com

Discuss.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 09-07-2009 23:19.

07-07-2009 23:28 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

cynics are there to remind us that to glorify as well as slate are useless

me

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
07-07-2009 23:32 Homepage of cynik
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

wat

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

08-07-2009 15:03 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

ahhh who gives a flying fuck about those haters, lots of hate in those quotes

its not about being a smartass, for the sake of sounding smarter than others etc. its a way of mental survival in this fucked up world

__
08-07-2009 15:11 Homepage of cynik
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

So how does the mass majority survive? there's arguments of realist seem cynics when compared to optimists. but cynicism has a negative context to it. which isn't good.

I am not a moralist, I enjoy more of the philosophies that are immoral. Sun Tzu and Machiavelli. Combat is immoral. There's no wrong or right, only winner or losers. It's basic law of nature. The owl isn't right or wrong for killing a mouse. Only a winner or a loser. Success or failure. Survival of the strongest has zero moral connotations.

My favorite quote there is the Gen. Patton. It is not a 'hater' quote. It simply says, you talk about yourself when cynical. Carl Jung explains this AFTER Patton does, in his description of The Shadow archtype.

Anyways, into the psyche of cynic, shows someones that is critical of others from a moral stand point. This exposes oneself. to comment on what is lacking int eh world, is not talking about the world. You see the world as you are, so one would be explaining what THEY are lacking.

It's better to understand oneself. That's something cynicism doesn't really look at. Cynicism seems to just look at what's wrong with the world. It's not healthy, nor productive. It's still thinking the world is separate, and independent. I get more annoyed by anyone that wishes to go back in time to how things use to be. It's a novel idea, and there's a place for it, but it's not practical.

We progress, and it's neither good or bad. Cynics seem to see evil out there in the world. It's a fallacy. We move forward through animosity. Through struggles, because of the need for war.

I test your beliefs right now. I call an attack onto it, not because I think I am right, but because I see a flaw. When logically thought through, there is short comings. At least, in my perspective. You obviously have some investment in the cynical way of thinking, but it's neither healthy nor beneficial IMO.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 08-07-2009 15:57.

08-07-2009 15:55 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

Shocked gone too far man, too far

youre probably right about most of this. I was just entertaining you, sorry, and the nick "cynik" sounded cool so.... Shocked

__
08-07-2009 17:43 Homepage of cynik
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

Cynic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about the ancient Greek school of philosophy. For the current understanding of the word cynic, see Cynicism. For other uses, see Cynic (disambiguation).
Statue of an unknown Cynic philosopher from the Capitoline Museum in Rome. This statue is a Roman-era copy of an earlier Greek statue from the 3rd century BCE.[1] The scroll in his right hand is an 18th century restoration.

The Cynics (Greek: šÅ½¹º¿¯, Latin: Cynici) were an influential group of philosophers from the ancient school of Cynicism. Their philosophy was that the purpose of life was to live a life of Virtue in agreement with Nature. This meant rejecting all conventional desires for wealth, power, health, and fame, and by living a life free from all possessions. As reasoning creatures, people could gain happiness by rigorous training and by living in a way which was natural for humans. They believed that the world belonged equally to everyone, and that suffering was caused by false judgments of what was valuable and by the worthless customs and conventions which surrounded society. Many of these thoughts were later absorbed into Stoicism.

The first philosopher to outline these themes was Antisthenes, who had been a pupil of Socrates in the late 5th century BCE. He was followed by Diogenes of Sinope, who lived in a tub on the streets of Athens. He took Cynicism to its logical extremes, and came to be seen as the archetypal Cynic philosopher. He was followed by Crates of Thebes who gave away a large fortune so he could live a life of Cynic poverty in Athens. Cynicism spread with the rise of Imperial Rome in the 1st century, and Cynics could be found begging and preaching throughout the cities of the Empire. It finally disappeared in the late 5th century, although many of its ascetic and rhetorical ideas were adopted by early Christians.
08-07-2009 20:05
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

So, the Cynics were primitive communists. Cool.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
08-07-2009 21:36 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
Shocked gone too far man, too far

youre probably right about most of this. I was just entertaining you, sorry, and the nick "cynik" sounded cool so.... Shocked

it is a sick nickname. could also be seen as scenic as in a beautiful view...

and @maud'dib, i lol'd

but as the quote wiki article says, most cynics today are called Christians. Now you see where this hate comes from. Devil If you were nicked Stoik or Emprilistik, it wouldn't have come to this.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 08-07-2009 22:27.

08-07-2009 22:25 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Well, Christianity is, in essence, quasi-communism. The thing is, the authentic Christianity has nothing to do with today's or anyday's church. As it goes with most other religions and their temples/institutions.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
08-07-2009 23:19 Homepage of Muad'Dib
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

well put muad

__
08-07-2009 23:27 Homepage of cynik
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
The thing is, the authentic Christianity has nothing to do with today's or anyday's church.

What is 'authentic' Christianity? This?

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
09-07-2009 00:12 Homepage of Tomos
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Not that i'll ever be able to comment (soberly) or with authority on subjects like this but i do want to take a minute to say, this is one amazing site where dnb (some petty damn good quality) gets uploaded to share with fellow budding producers and at the same time occasionally, very deep and to be honest, important topics are brought up for discussion and sometimes people get the chance to see things differently, and that doesnt happen in many other mediums of communication elsewhere in life...

Some of you who get really involved in topics that us 'simple folk' aren't to bothered about makes me wonder if you have too much time on your hands..

Its the flip side of communicating on the net, forum's like this and suchlike, everything, normally, get's taken out of context..

How about you just all come round to my house and i'll open a nice bottle of Babycham i've been saving since 1984, no wire's will be crossed then..

muahhaa

sorry, continue..

__
My Sounds
09-07-2009 00:56
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah, i got too much time on my hands. that and most fo the blokes here, being songwriters, are quite well thought.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-07-2009 01:11 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

hahaaa nice slapper by old Glim Devil

thats it, I quit internet philosophy

__
10-07-2009 00:11 Homepage of cynik
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

why dont we put heads together and write antagonistic letters to our governments demanding answers about society etc, i kind of dnb.be protest, Devil
10-07-2009 00:40
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i believe in affirmative action. let's help Iran?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-07-2009 01:04 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

here's another thing about cynicism. it's cynical. that's easy. life is not fair. that's a law. some could blame chaos theory, or the law of entropy. it's impossible for things to get better, overall. but it's this very reason that life is so shitty one should be optimistic. I am a real pessimist, skeptic and cyinc at heart, maybe just a realist. but it's because of how bad i see the world i can appreciate and understand the NEED to NOT by cynical. It's too damn easy. It's like going to McDonald's and pointing out the flaws, not to mention cooperate structures of it. This doesn't change anything.

Only through wishful thinking/optimisim/affirmative action can one HOPE to change anything. it's more important to look at the world and see what you wish to see, then just see how it is. we know it sucks. everyone does, past a certain age of maturity. that's part of maturity, is dealing with bullshit. when you start to deal with this BS, that's what defines your level of maturity. cynics is what we become if we let it drag us down.

it lacks imagination, i guess is what i mean. there's nothing creative about being a cynic, unless you include other things to be cynical about... to see the silver lining of something is to think outside the box.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-07-2009 18:02 Homepage of Halph-Price
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
but it's this very reason that life is so shitty one should be optimistic. I am a real pessimist, skeptic and cyinc at heart, maybe just a realist. but it's because of how bad i see the world i can appreciate and understand the NEED to NOT by cynical.

That's a good point actually.

It's good to be cynical, sceptical, maybe even pessimistic, but cynicism alone won't make you change anything about the situation which you are cynical about. At some point, you need to combine cynical attitude with positive action and actually do something affirmative that is going to help towards reducing the reasons that cause your cynicism. Logically speaking, the more you dislike the world, the more you should want to change it. I suppose you could call these people 'positive cynics' (I know that sounds like an oxymoron).

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
10-07-2009 19:26 Homepage of Tomos
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

awwww but I try to be less cynical, I do, my reactions were much worse in past. choosing it is really a critique on myself. so could it be having the avatar is to accept who you are even if it is a bad thing and especially if under circumstances its something hard to shake off

why? because Im tired of the fake. faking all around you from the minute you open your eyes so much of everything is a fucking lie. so sick of it

__
10-07-2009 21:14 Homepage of cynik
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Question #020 (cynicism)