drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » My Song - Commuters
Go to the bottom of this page My Song - Commuters
Author
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Hello, anyone got # a few minutes spare? Would you mind listening to this song i recorded in Cubase today. I work at a train station for a living and made a song about commuters.

youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNPe5qukfzQ

touched-02.mp3 - 10.48MB

download link:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/623048024ce4c8cc/

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Glim Big Grin

__
My Sounds

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Glim: 06-07-2009 20:05.

06-07-2009 18:07
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

Big Grin Catchy and funny. Big Grin I guess that is you on vocals? You've got a decent voice mate, I like it. Definitely heard worst 'pro' singers! Mix-wise, it's ever so slightly muffled and perhaps a little quiet. I would be tempted to increase the high-mids and highs a touch and crank the volume up (if that's possible). Other than that, it's pretty much spot for me.

Really enjoyed that. Any plans to send it to anyone? Could imagine someone like Chris Moyles liking this.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
06-07-2009 19:36 Homepage of Tomos
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

Cheers Tomos!

I turned down all the vocals just before the mix down, i know what you mean about the muffled feel, i'm new to using Cubase, and i can't get the hang of the midi channel yet, dont know how to apply eq to it like i do other audio channels, some more 'googling' needed on that one.

Someone else mentioned Moyles but i don't think it'll get through the door.

Definitely gonna remix the levels then, i always have my vocals too loud so i thought i'd turn them down on this one, but maybe if i tweak them up a little and increase the mids on the piano and bass guitar.

Big thanks for listening mate, you're opinion is very much respected.

Big Grin

edit: spelling!

__
My Sounds

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Glim: 06-07-2009 19:48.

06-07-2009 19:47
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

haha this is wicked mate, well put together lil tune, sounds like u really put some time into writting the lyrics Bigup

listening to it actually reminds me how much i appreciate my car as i look back on my days living in london and totally getting sucked into the commuter lifestyle (used to be 5 hrs daily at one point Shocked )

good stuff mate, enjoyed the listen! Big Grin

__

06-07-2009 20:19 Homepage of Ketz
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

Real nice mate. Really enjoyed that Big Grin

my advice, chuck in loads of reverb, some distortion some chorus, render, split the frequencies, more distortion, play backwards.... And you will have a terrible reece Wink

That track reminds me of good mate who plays mandelin and does odd gigs. Except, he does songs about people in his local pub. When he plays other pubs, he gets confused looks from the punters when he says 'Track about Bill, hasn't left that bar stool in fifty years'.... Huh

What station you work?

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by brucifer: 07-07-2009 03:59.

07-07-2009 03:13
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

I haven't listened to your song, i just read about your level/EQ problem... Tongue

you can not apply an audio effect to MIDI-data (or a MIDI-channel) , what you probably mean is apply the effect to the instrument channel. An instrument channel has the basically the same channel strip as an audio track, it just represents your instruments output(s).

And as a cubase-junkie, I strongly advice you load instruments with F11 (so you can share your instrument with different MIDI-channels and assign more than 1 stereo output.

About EQ: a human voice takes only a small band of the spectrum, and there are also EQ-presets in Cubase to get you started to see the right bands/frequency's . So if you had a good 'wide' recording of your voice, you could cut a lot down of your voice (band-pass 500-3500 Hz for example) And still hear/use it. (And have YOUR unique sound Wink ) afterwards you can fatten it up again where needed. Cutting down seems sometimes harsh, but it's a good and easy way to 'sculpt' your tune to perfection. Imagine if you do it right (often with multiple processing & EQ'ing) you can always achieve your desired clean result. Just don't cut the essential harmonics and dynamics of your sound( so you can beef it up later on your stereo or mixer). There are loads of tricks to do this...

Also use group tracks, so you can seperate common bands and 're-route'. I couldn't imagine making a project without grouping...

sorry for not listening, but i hope this may be usefull to you...

cheerz

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 07-07-2009 12:30.

07-07-2009 12:16
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

Massive thanks for taking the time to listen to it lads and thanks for the comments.

@ Ketz - mate i know what you mean about the 'commuter lifestyle' narrowly avoided it myself and now i see people day in day out who are just wasting away in a job that is slowly eating away at them!

@ Brucifer - i work at southampton central, i subscribed to your page, lookin forward to checkin out some of them tunes!

@ Saikonutta - cheers for the tips, as you can tell im a newbie with cubase, but i'm already hooked. I'm going to try making a track the way you suggest, gotta get the hang of this midi thing. I'll also have a play around with some of the presets in the dynamics FX section too.

Thanks again chaps Drummer Big Grin

__
My Sounds
07-07-2009 14:10
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » My Song - Commuters