drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Do you rather work with samples or VSTs?
Go to the bottom of this page Do you rather work with samples or VSTs?
Author
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
well not exactly, more scandinavic. swedes and such

Oh i just did a google search and quoted the wiki page haha

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

25-06-2009 12:45 Homepage of D2o
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
quote:
Originally posted by cynik
well not exactly, more scandinavic. swedes and such

Oh i just did a google search and quoted the wiki page haha

yeah? I said Swedes cause Reason comes from Sweden lol

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
25-06-2009 12:55 Homepage of cynik
deulcore
Tourist

Registration Date: 13-03-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Ok it's a bit late but, better than never, innit ? Big Grin

I use sample i found on the web or sampled from vst for my drums. These days I start to make my own drum kit by layering and lightly effecting each sound until it sound right. then save all of that to use later.

Even if it's long and sometime boring process, i found highly satisfying to use my OWN samples. There's a lots of waste tho, like sound i thought were cool but i almost sure i will never use them... Just be sure of what you really need.

I like creating FX, Hit, or short spacey sound I can use sporadically in my trax.

I almost only use vst's for synth, bass, lead part. I found frustrating to save a wav. then realise that I need to tweak this or that a bit more. But of course the CPU is burning....

I use FL, Reason for a while. I started with Ableton few weeks ago cause i'm attracted to the live side of it.

So now, i think, i have to change my tactic, and sample everything as .wave file to be able to play them.

And for the thing using vst, using sample from sample pack......

In my native language, french, we say something like : Doesn't matter what shape the bottle is from the moment you get drunk with it !!!

Only creativity make things sounds different. Devil
18-08-2009 07:11
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

Use what ever makes you happy. Some funny arguments on here Big Grin

I usualy use reasons synths, but I'm getting into samples again. The challenge is twisting them into something else, I'm finding that great fun at the moment.

I suppose, you could compromise by making your own synth sounds, sample them and then morph them into something else... Red Face

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
18-08-2009 08:28
Dethworm Dethworm is a male
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

In the beginning I did all my own programming on Thor and Malstrom and refused to load anything into the Dr. REx or NNXT...now I grew up a bit and realized that you can get way better sound quality by combining some nasty sampled bass sounds with some bandpass filtered thor sound. I also just splurged and bought one of those digital hand help samplers and I have been getting some nasty weird sounds from all around...like cymbal hits through megaphones and contact mics on railroad tracks...all types of bizarre metalic vibes. I find a good Wav then put it thru recycle and make is a REX2 file then load that bitch into the NNXT and reverse and timestretch. It also really helps to know about synthesis...onece in a while ill sample from my Moog LP or Moog Modular Brain...I also know a dude who has a MiniMoog and Voyager not to mention Arp Odyssey with the Big BRother ossilator attachment. Pure heaven in the dungeon

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
21-08-2009 15:32 Homepage of Dethworm
wrm
orchestral/idm/deep/liquid/experi/mental

images/avatars/avatar-2659.jpg

Registration Date: 13-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by brucifer
... but I'm getting into samples again. The challenge is twisting them into something else, I'm finding that great fun at the moment.

Exactly, I love working with samples. Its much more fun...

__
___ Visit MYspace ___
24-08-2009 23:46 Homepage of wrm
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

been reading stuff n i was wondering if addative synths are able to manipulate wavs as presets

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

24-08-2009 23:49 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
2k20

Registration Date: 23-08-2009

why not write loops in one file (saving that file for corrections later on) and then sample your own samples??

this way you can get your samples the way you want and copyright free but then keep going with the track and not find the restriction of the PC

OR just use a mac G5 8 core
OR just use reason and audition 3 (the way i do it)

http://www.jukeboxalive.com/audio_play_o...25&skin=2299027
26-08-2009 18:46
GeeZZ
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 31-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

[quote]Originally posted by Muad'Dib
[quote]Originally posted by Seven Gun

FL Studio's "Smart Disable" is one of the best functions I've met quote]

amen

i use all vst's like sum1 sed part from drums n odd fx occasinally i get/make a loop :melodic or break and work from that if it inspires me.

i can see the creative piont in samplein crazy stuff (fart down a mic) but re samplein 2 me has allways seemed like lookin 4 happy accedents, i work better wen i visualise wot i wana do first then try recreate it, 4 this best way is vst 4 me then i can go back an edit my synths ect. with synths like massive and multipule vst's u can put fx anywere in the chain u like. jus seems like u more controll this way an purposely do woteva u want.

but i notice more n more that otha producers re-sample over n over to get there sound so its sumfin am gonna do more of in futer i have read the wicked re sample tut on here b interesstin if any1 got any diff re samplin tips /ideas
09-12-2009 01:07
kamenlidel kamenlidel is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Both of them Big Grin

Supporting each other
12-12-2009 22:05
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Do you rather work with samples or VSTs?