drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Program to find key/scales
Go to the bottom of this page Program to find key/scales
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Are there any good programs anyone knows about that I can type all the notes of a riff I've just played in, and it will tell me what key the riff is in?

preferably a free one for macs would be good! thanks

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
17-06-2009 13:08
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

eyes and ears Big Grin just put all the notes on top of each other next to your melody in this order, key, tone, key, semitone, key , tone, key, tone, key, semitone, key, tone, key, tone. so you will have a midi not on all of the following keys, D,E,F,G,A,A*,C,D. this is a d minor scale
then just highlight all of these notes and transpose them up or down till your melody fits into the scale. whatever the bottom key is on will be you keyscale Wink
17-06-2009 14:47
Evasive Action Evasive Action is a male
joeuk

images/avatars/avatar-2839.jpg

Registration Date: 25-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

there are websites that can show you different scales and chords on a keyboard, so you could use that to determine what key you have used. not automatic but still useful here is alink to one i find useful

http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm
17-06-2009 14:49
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by demure
eyes and ears

completely agree on this Happy

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
17-06-2009 18:30 Homepage of baz
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

guitar pro can do this pretty good, since you don't need to save anything in guitar pro you can just use the shareware version. it allows input through tablature writing, midi file, clicking the notes on a guitar neck / piano keys, so it will do.
Also it's very handy to find out how some tunes are played, there's tons of Guitar Pro files on http://www.ultimate-guitar.com

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
17-06-2009 19:28 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

pianoworld all the way http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/vpc/piano_chords.htm

you type in a chord it will invert it for you even. very useful to find different sounding chords of the same nature.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 17-06-2009 21:51.

17-06-2009 21:50 Homepage of Halph-Price
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by demure
in this order, key, tone, key, semitone, key , tone, key, tone, key, semitone, key, tone, key, tone. so you will have a midi not on all of the following keys, D,E,F,G,A,A*,C,D. this is a d minor scale
then just highlight all of these notes and transpose them up or down till your melody fits into the scale. whatever the bottom key is on will be you keyscale Wink

what do you mean in this order, key, tone, semitone, key tone?

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
29-06-2009 16:51
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

You mean:

see a pattern in something random?

there will be algoritms available that give you "a" solution of what it "could" be;

but in fact your random notes could be in "whatever" key;

It's more interesting to study some (really, you don't need much!) music theory and simply improvise on your "chord". This would mean you don't need to look up 'a' possible solution given from a program, you just got a step further as elektronic music producer.

The possible solution the program gives you, will be right, but in most cases there will be a zillion other soultions for your chord too, which I haven't seen in any software yet. Wolfram Alpha comes close to this, but that's it I think ...(correct me if im wrong)

Also, creating a cool dissonant with such a program is unexistant...

If you want to be limited (in chord progression / harmonics): use a program

If not: read a bit about music theory, music is to cool to let a program decide which chord must be used...
29-06-2009 20:06
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

tried to tell these guys, look at Note Intervals, and how every note in a scale or not even in a scale, in whats called a chromatic scale (which is every note on the piano) you just find out how those relate and you can understand how every scale will sound.

also, this thread is covered here already.

Chord progression tool

i went to town explaining intervals and chords here...

Chords/music theory

this one i describe the darkest scale possible and WHY it's so dark explaining the intervals again

Scales

this link has a chart under the Just Interval section showing the relations of notes if you understand that minor sounds sad, major sounds happy, and perfect/unison/octaves sound strong and resolved. with this, you can just pick 2 notes and know without playing them, how they'll sound together. how to make them fit with the next notes is the trick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 30-06-2009 16:28.

30-06-2009 16:17 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Program to find key/scales