drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Let's talk about Reverberation, baby
Go to the bottom of this page Let's talk about Reverberation, baby
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Hello there chums,
I use the free reverb Ambiance by SMARTELECTRONIX for general purpose, and the CLASSIC Reverb for very cold reverbs.

it's presets, and it's sound and it's easy of use, is better then any other reverb I have heard. True, TreuVerb is probably great cuz it's waves, but the presets are limited, so there's a lot more work involved in making a good reverb sound. I like to find a preset I like, then just tweak it to fit. That and TrueVerb doesn't have a Freeze button. Ambiance has a variation button even, just to help give a different taste, so it doesn't sound so stale.

not to be stuck with this opinion, what's your preferred reverb?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 14-06-2009 18:08.

13-06-2009 20:40 Homepage of Halph-Price
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I use FL's reverb, especially the first version. Same here, I take presets and usually tweak the Low/High cut/dampening.

What do you guys use your reverb on?

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
13-06-2009 20:49 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Liquids
I use FL's reverb, especially the first version. Same here, I take presets and usually tweak the Low/High cut/dampening.

What do you guys use your reverb on?

the way you're suppose to reverb is to have one set to full wet in a send tack, the put a little on everything to give it a cohesive sound. usually i roll off the bass from the reveb because that just clouds upt eh mix, and takes away power from teh bassline.

also the technique of using reverb is to add it in until yuo notice it then dial it backa bit.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-06-2009 21:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
Travis_Huckins Travis_Huckins is a male
Rogue Ai

images/avatars/avatar-3425.jpg

Registration Date: 18-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

I usually use the RV7000 in reason 4, I never need to use the presets as I think it is easy to program. I also like it because of all the reverb types it has and that you can gate it.

__

Rogue AI-Death Star
13-06-2009 21:52 Homepage of Travis_Huckins
napster55 napster55 is a male
Snitch And Chemist

images/avatars/avatar-2768.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2008

i hardly ever use reverb, i tend to mod delay everything by like a few milliseconds with minimal feedback so it just paces out sumtimes with a temposync left right pan depending on what.. prefer that then having reverb damping the sound unless you get it right by all means will sound good im not too good with reverb units so i tend not to mess with em much.. they will come in handy with me 1day but until then Smile

__
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SNCDNB

-SNITCH-

-AIM - SNITCHDNB
-MSN- DUKES21_3@HOTMAIL.COM
14-06-2009 01:42 Homepage of napster55
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by Travis_Huckins
I usually use the RV7000 in reason 4, I never need to use the presets as I think it is easy to program. I also like it because of all the reverb types it has and that you can gate it.

Same here. Really like the one in reason. All about using shit loads and using the gate Wink Actually, quite like to use the delay in the RV7000 and cloud it up a bit.

I don't use as much reverb, because certain people where complaining about it Devil , my thing now is multi band compression and moving filters. Just love it Happy

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
14-06-2009 03:55
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

When I write shit in FL, I use the Fruity Reverb 2. I like the interface better than the original Reverb. In Reason, the RV7000 is a lot better I think, gives the user many more options, you can make really complex, detailed sounding stuff.

I only use reverb in very small, small amounts, and almost exclusively on the mids of bass (neuro sounding bass, makes it sound really nice.. keeps it from being too dry, but the reverb is hardly noticable) and sometimes on the lead/pad if there is one. If the reverb is noticable, I think it sounds really cheesy. So I wet the signal if I need to (saw waves can sound pretty dry eh? Teeth )

To be honest, I haven't ever really had much success using a reverb with drums to make them sound more cohesive. I prefer using EQing and good samples/layering, every time I try and reverb drums you either can't hear it and it muddles the mix for no reason or its too obvious and makes it sound like crap.

Maybe Halph will educate me on the art. Rinse
14-06-2009 12:20
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

love reverb

the verb in reason is pretty sweet really.
Its really flexible and easy to use.

Reverb as a whole though is a dark art and can take a long time to master.

I do know some good tricks and tips but i've just been for a skate in the baking sun and can't be bothered to type it out just yet Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

14-06-2009 12:35 Homepage of D2o
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
not to be stuck with this opinion, what's your preferred reverb?

Epicverb is my preferred reverb.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=show&id=3587

That and reaper's reaverb.
14-06-2009 15:05
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I use the FL's Reverb, both the first and the second. They are quality.
Also, been using TrueVerb.

I've noticed that reverb is particularly hard to manage for a gutar, for example. While it sounds great for the high-octave notes, it muffles the sound on the low/bass strings. When you filter it out for bass, you don't have reverb for those strings, and when you turn it down, the clean sound of the high strings (E, B for ex.) passes through and I can't hear it enough. Big Grin
But I've mastered guitar reverb at the end of the day. Had to. Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
14-06-2009 15:07 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang
When I write shit in FL, I use the Fruity Reverb 2. I like the interface better than the original Reverb. In Reason, the RV7000 is a lot better I think, gives the user many more options, you can make really complex, detailed sounding stuff.

I only use reverb in very small, small amounts, and almost exclusively on the mids of bass (neuro sounding bass, makes it sound really nice.. keeps it from being too dry, but the reverb is hardly noticable) and sometimes on the lead/pad if there is one. If the reverb is noticable, I think it sounds really cheesy. So I wet the signal if I need to (saw waves can sound pretty dry eh? Teeth )

To be honest, I haven't ever really had much success using a reverb with drums to make them sound more cohesive. I prefer using EQing and good samples/layering, every time I try and reverb drums you either can't hear it and it muddles the mix for no reason or its too obvious and makes it sound like crap.

Maybe Halph will educate me on the art. Rinse

GOLDEN RULE OF REVERBERATION:
LESS IS MORE

roll off the low end of reverb, always, you do no need the 300hz and down area reverbing, you don't really hear it. it's not natural to hear deep reverb. not unless you're in an opera hall, but if you need the opera house reverb, then you're not doing dance music.

it's that low end of reverb that muddies the mix up.

secondly, i do my mix with the drums isolated, kick,snare,hats,drum break. I have the reverb on a send channel with a eq rolling off the bottem end of the reverb.

i use SEND CHANNEL to feed reverb to everything, obviously.

to the KICK to give it very little (5-10%), SNARE gets a bit more (10-15%), HATS get a lot more (30-50%), and the drum break, is usually not even noticeable (5-10%).

the key to using good reverb like this is, you crank up the reverb on the instrument, wihle listening to the WHOLE mix. then turn it down, more and more until it sounds like good reverb on it. then turn it down about 5% more.

with mixing, if you can JUST hear it, it's doing SOMETHING.

for leads i'll have a bit of reverb (10-15%) and pads or stuff that should be floating int eh mix i'll give A LOT (30-50%).

i find my mixes sound so much better with it.

i'll admit I LOVED the reverb on reason, that's what I like, very simple easy to use reverbs. no fucking, settign the diffusal decay, and the materials a room is made out of. If i was doing post-production for movies, or re-dubbing a preformance, and had to match the studio or location the person was in before, I would appreciate that sort of control more.

as it stands, I want sometihng that's just got , 'BIG ROOM' and a knob for dry/wet, and size.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

14-06-2009 16:40 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib

I've noticed that reverb is particularly hard to manage for a gutar, for example. While it sounds great for the high-octave notes, it muffles the sound on the low/bass strings. When you filter it out for bass, you don't have reverb for those strings, and when you turn it down, the clean sound of the high strings (E, B for ex.) passes through and I can't hear it enough. Big Grin

how did you master teh guitar reverb, it is hard, I always wondered why there was so many fucking guitar reverb sounds... but with a guitar recording, maybe not filter out ALL the low end ont eh reverb, just us a low shelf, and get rid of a bit..

really the guitar has 2 instruments to work with, the precussion of the strum, and the string of the sustaining note. so you should always hear the verb on the initial transient. maybe not on the string part, but guitars can muddy up the mix with the low end anyways. if it's noticable, again, just a low-shelf EQ on the reverb, keep some of the signal. it's good enough if you just notice it...

i'd be intereted to hear the mix. guitars really are hard to mix.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 14-06-2009 16:44.

14-06-2009 16:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:

Know what you mean brov. It is an art form really.

I went in to my local music shop to buy a copy of reason 4 the other day. They didn't have it, but I was with in two seconds of buying a 3/4 size ESP electric guitar and mini Marshall Stack! All for the equivalant of 400 quid. Was so tempted. Really miss my guitars back home. I used to jam to DNB before I fucked of to NZ and bought a laptop... Still tempted to splash out.

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
14-06-2009 16:46
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by brucifer
quote:

I've noticed that reverb is particularly hard to manage for a ghttp://rapidshare.com/files/244469738/test.mp3utar, for example. While it sounds great for the high-octave notes, it muffles the sound on the low/bass strings. When you filter it out for bass, you don't have reverb for those strings, and when you turn it down, the clean sound of the high strings (E, B for ex.) passes through and I can't hear it enough. Big Grin

Know what you mean brov. It is an art form really.

I went in to my local music shop to buy a copy of reason 4 the other day. They didn't have it, but I was with in two seconds of buying a 3/4 size ESP electric guitar and mini Marshall Stack! All for the equivalant of 400 quid. Was so tempted. Really miss my guitars back home. I used to jam to DNB before I fucked of to NZ and bought a laptop... Still tempted to splash out.

http://rapidshare.com/files/244469738/test.mp3 this is guitar on a laptop. use the guitar rig 2, FENDER sound. pro-53 for the synth for it, sounds pretty good. I tihnk I used that setup int he 300 song, can get a lot of variables in the mix for sure.

but i guess this is something, these things always ad there own reverb, but there not actually a reverb.

the most common reverb for guitars is slap back, or spring or plate.

it's basicly, what muffin man said he uses, instead of verb, a tight delay unit. it doesn't muffle because it doens't reverberate as much. reverbs are delays but so close together. to be honest, delay is used as much as delay is, and is noticed as much (or as little). the delay unit could be talked about in here as well, because really, it's a form of reverb....

but still, guitars, a nice solution is the spring/plate verb, and thoes things are just an analog delay unit.

sorry for being so chatty, I am bored at work, and normally I post late at night, which is early in the morning for you chaps I think.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

14-06-2009 17:16 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

working with reason you dont need anything else than rv7000. tight precise control, responsive eq and a very accurate gate feature. that little thing deserves a vst for the non-reasoners too!

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
14-06-2009 18:14 Homepage of cynik
Doin' it for the love

Helpfulness rating: 

Big ups, Halph, gunna start playing around with that. Rinse

Cheers
15-06-2009 00:09
SiUnit SiUnit is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2844.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

Reverb choice is an interesting topic! Especially when considering how people perceive space. Early reflections (i.e. first order reflections) are critical in perception of a sounds environment. Most people will use a giant reverb to give a large sense of space, when in reality reverb tail has minimal impact. A great little mix trick I have learned is to use 2 busses, one for early reflections and one for reverb tail. That way you can use the early reflection bus to give the listener a sense of space, and use the reverb tail selectively to stop it muddying the mix!

I use space designer or altiverb for my reverb tails, I'm a big fan of convolution reverbs! Any old crapverb will do for my early reflections. The key is adjusting the room size so that the reflections are resonating at frequencies close to the fundamentals of your main drums so they thicken up the sound. People instinctively go for the lushest sounding reverb, which solo'ed will sound epic but in a mix maybe too smooth or diffuse. Sometimes a rubbish 'digital' reverb will sound dense by itself but might me more audible, and therefore easier to perceive in a complex mix situation (like most dnb).

A bit of a heavy post lol, just dont get me started on compression! Big Grin

__
---//FAT BEATS!\\---
15-06-2009 06:30
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by SiUnit
Reverb choice is an interesting topic! Especially when considering how people perceive space. Early reflections (i.e. first order reflections) are critical in perception of a sounds environment. Most people will use a giant reverb to give a large sense of space, when in reality reverb tail has minimal impact. A great little mix trick I have learned is to use 2 busses, one for early reflections and one for reverb tail. That way you can use the early reflection bus to give the listener a sense of space, and use the reverb tail selectively to stop it muddying the mix!

I use space designer or altiverb for my reverb tails, I'm a big fan of convolution reverbs! Any old crapverb will do for my early reflections. The key is adjusting the room size so that the reflections are resonating at frequencies close to the fundamentals of your main drums so they thicken up the sound. People instinctively go for the lushest sounding reverb, which solo'ed will sound epic but in a mix maybe too smooth or diffuse. Sometimes a rubbish 'digital' reverb will sound dense by itself but might me more audible, and therefore easier to perceive in a complex mix situation (like most dnb).

OH WOW, nicely put. that's quite interesting. I guess I have done the same thing too, except I just put a Reverb on teh track that I want a longer tail on. Your way makes more sense though. fuck.

yea, I was told by experinced mixers, the 2 units of fx they can never have enough different types of (in teh analog world at least) is Compressors, and Reverb units.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-06-2009 08:38 Homepage of Halph-Price
Doin' it for the love

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
Originally posted by SiUnit

OH WOW, nicely put. that's quite interesting. I guess I have done the same thing too, except I just put a Reverb on teh track that I want a longer tail on. Your way makes more sense though. fuck.

yea, I was told by experinced mixers, the 2 units of fx they can never have enough different types of (in teh analog world at least) is Compressors, and Reverb units.

Unfortunately in the analog world, you can't just load up copies of the same VST. Big Grin
15-06-2009 15:00
SiUnit SiUnit is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2844.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang
Unfortunately in the analog world, you can't just load up copies of the same VST. Big Grin

It doesn't matter your using hardware or software the technique still holds! You can can record the output of the reverb unit to your sequencer, whether it is a DAW or old school analogue tape, then play it back as a track. Then readjust the parameters of the reverb and redo your send levels and voila! 2 Seperate reverbs! Big Grin I do this all the time when using hardware sequencing systems such as Radar with single Lexicon 480L

__
---//FAT BEATS!\\---

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SiUnit: 15-06-2009 18:09.

15-06-2009 18:07
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Let's talk about Reverberation, baby