drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Reason's Thor Vs Ni Massive / Albino 3
Go to the bottom of this page Reason's Thor Vs Ni Massive / Albino 3
Author
joeuk

images/avatars/avatar-2839.jpg

Registration Date: 25-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I'm only using reason but i have dabbled with creating sounds in Massive and Albino 3, what are people's thoughts on these synths and their relative merits / downfalls? I'm a novice when it comes to synthesis and i guess im wondering if there are things that can be achieved more easily using different synths?? Or is it all about getting to know the soft synths in Reason better. I;m familiar with the theory that ist not the software but the person using it that matters. Any thoughts??
30-05-2009 13:08
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

when it comes to synthesis i think understanding the fundamentals is really important (basic waveforms, filters, lfo's, routing etc), also try not getting lost in the sea of VSTs, pick one (be it thor in reason or massive / albino, z3ta etc) and just try to get familiar with it, theres a thor reece tutorial on u tube thats been really informative

once u get the principles u can apply em to any synth, as each one has its own intricacies Big Grin

but yeah don't underestimate the power of Reason u can make sick sounds if experiment long enough!

__

30-05-2009 14:12 Homepage of Ketz
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

thor all the way its a beast Big Grin clearly though my opinion is hugely biased take it with a pinch of salt Big Grin
30-05-2009 14:15
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

A synths power comes mostly from its openness,
there's many synths that allow you to set up some basic things, but have special 'auto-this' buttons... Such as auto-fatness, auto-warmness, all that kind of stuff.

That's really handy, it is, but when you really want to create sounds, these buttons are basicly an effect that you can turn on or off. It removes the sea of opportunities you encounter while making the fatness or warmness, and removes your understanding of what wave you are really creating and why it sounds the way it sounds.

The main objection to using those very limited synths is of course that other producers will frequently recognize the synth and say that they can do it as well, which of course makes your song less awesome :p

The weird sounds, the wicked sounds often come from that sea of opportunities between what you have in mind and where you start shaping the waves.
You have a target, which perhaps isn't so creative, but you bump into all kinds of sounds that in the end may shape your entire song.

That's why I like FM8, but I'm not very good at it yet though

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
30-05-2009 14:40 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Yeah i think thor is very good personally.

Massive is too as is albino but what makes them all very good is their inherent flexibility and ease of use.

I've not had much of a go with FM8 but it does sound really sweet and its pone of those synths where happy accidents can occur!

BUt once you get used the way in which FM synths work you can really start crafting some awesome sounds.

I think an FM synth should be the next thing for reason!

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

30-05-2009 17:42 Homepage of D2o
Travis_Huckins Travis_Huckins is a male
Rogue Ai

images/avatars/avatar-3425.jpg

Registration Date: 18-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.25

Thor has fm oscs so it can create fm sounds but maybe an all fm synth would be better for fm sounds.

__

Rogue AI-Death Star

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Travis_Huckins: 30-05-2009 18:16.

30-05-2009 18:16 Homepage of Travis_Huckins
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Travis_Huckins
Thor has fm oscs so it can create fm sounds but maybe an all fm synth would be better for fm sounds.

yeah i know that but its not full FM synthesis.

Would be nice addition i reckon that and an additive synth

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 30-05-2009 18:19.

30-05-2009 18:19 Homepage of D2o
halfinch
Tourist

Registration Date: 12-03-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
don't underestimate the power of Reason u can make sick sounds if experiment long enough!

indeed

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by halfinch: 31-05-2009 10:38.

31-05-2009 10:37
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
I think an FM synth should be the next thing for reason!

2nd

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
31-05-2009 12:17 Homepage of cynik
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i am a hardcore vst junkie and i use FL, but even seening the tutorials for Thor and using Reason before, Reason has some GREAT sounds synthesis to it. and Thor can make MAAASSSSIVE REECES. ...

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

31-05-2009 13:10 Homepage of Halph-Price
Evasive Action Evasive Action is a male
joeuk

images/avatars/avatar-2839.jpg

Registration Date: 25-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I'm going to keep trying with Thor as it obviously has the potential to be a really powerful synth, I just seem to lack method when i'm using a synth, i know about waveforms and using lfos and filters but always seem to end up with similar sounding results! not bad i guess but frustrating! Anyone got any patches/presets they wanna share so i can get a look at how other people program the synth? I have some of my own i can post up somewhere in return if anyone can help out. Oh and dont worry i'm not just looking to to steal people's hard work, i'd rather make my own sounds anyday, just need a little point in the right direction!

safe
01-06-2009 09:56
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

i could give you a couple of patches but they are a little bit standard really but would give you an idea how i go about it Big Grin pm me Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by demure: 01-06-2009 17:34.

01-06-2009 17:33
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

Ez,

I use both FL (w/ Massive) and Reason (w/ Thor of course), and I'm much more impressed with Thor (+Scream 4 Distortion Drummer ) for making nasty basses, I haven't been able to shake the same sort of basses out of Massive but that's not to say it's not possible. I've always used Massive for leads, really.

As I am sitting here, thinking about Massive and Thor, I am realizing how similar the two really are. They both have multiple oscillators with a lot of possibilities for each (Massive has sick osc presets Drummer ), and there are a lot of capabilities for sound morphing and modulation because you can assign LFOs to almost every parameter on either synth. I think the question is, are you going to move to a DAW with VSTi compatibility or are you going to produce with Reason? Because Reason has everything you need, and if you want to use VSTs, then Massive is one of the best you can buy. I'll send you some of my bass patches to get you started with sick basses on Thor, if you're interested.

Cheers
09-06-2009 05:35
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

ill take some of these patches ...................................brow
09-06-2009 05:43
Doin' it for the love

Helpfulness rating: 

Check your PMs. Drummer

I was going to post the .cmb patch for everyone but I can't attach because of the file extension. Red Face
10-06-2009 12:51
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

yooooo send me them combis too!

we could ask chron to include .cmb in the allowed attachment list

otherwise, you can rename its extension to, say, .zip and we can rename it back to cmb upon d/l

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 10-06-2009 14:58.

10-06-2009 14:57 Homepage of cynik
Doin' it for the love

Helpfulness rating: 

Good idea, next time I will do that.

I should see if Demure likes my combi patch before I get everybody's hopes up. Big Grin Haven't even posted any of my tunes here yet or anything, I don't know how my production skills are compared to everyone else. But from what I've heard in the music section.. you guys have a lot of talent and really fresh ideas.
11-06-2009 01:18
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

i think we should rename the thread the reason patch bank personally and have a patch of the week competition Tongue and the reese was cool not too much modulation a nice patch to build on

Attachment:
zip Basic Reese edited demure.zip (2.11 KB, 856 downloads)
11-06-2009 02:16
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

fuck thats loud, but sounds bad Devil

__
11-06-2009 20:42 Homepage of cynik
Doin' it for the love

Helpfulness rating: 

It's that extra tube distortion. Drummer

Just wanted to give Joeuk a little something to get him started (with the basics), Demure gave it that sickness I was talking about. Devil

I agree about the patch of the week thread. As far as this thread goes, I think we've proven Thor can make some nasty sounds (to anyone with Reason that can listen to them Big Grin ).. anyone out there got any Massive patches they'd like to share? Maybe results speak louder than words. Drummer
11-06-2009 21:29
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Reason's Thor Vs Ni Massive / Albino 3