drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » ???Sends, Returns and Busses???
Go to the bottom of this page ???Sends, Returns and Busses???
Author
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

Ok I know I'm going to sound like a super noob but can someone please just explain Sends, Returns and Busses on a mixing board or in programs. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fundamentals. Thanks in advance.

Riv

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
20-05-2009 22:43 Homepage of Dethworm
Krisch Krisch is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2727.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

Send: is an output on a mixer used to feed an fx (or fx chain)
Return: is an input where the (processed) send signal can "return" to the mixer
Bus: im not sure in this one but i think it used to make sub-mixes eg. you can send all of your separated drum elements to bus1 instead of directly to the master then you can adjust the entire drum track's level by adjusting bus1 level.

Hope it helps.
EZ

ps.: also hope its correctBig Grin
20-05-2009 23:26 Homepage of Krisch
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

A bus is like a path where you can route audio to. Some typical cases are the stereo mix bus and aux send busses. You can take the audio back out of the path at another point so you can e.g. feed the stereo mix to an external output connected to your speakers, and an aux send to an internal effects plugin.

You also have a number of generic busses which you can route wherever you want to. For example you can route all your drums channels to bus 1 and 2, and then make a new audio track called 'drums' with these busses at the input, and you can control the level of the entire drumkit with one fader, and put effects and dynamics on the entire drumkit.

All this stuff is typically set up in the I/O section of your channels. You can pick an input, and route audio to aux send busses, generic busses and the stereo mix bus.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
21-05-2009 10:23 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

sends and busses do my head in. generally it should make for a better production but I tend to overdo em most of the time, especially using fxes

the NYC technique works quite well though, hit you up over skype later for that bro

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
21-05-2009 11:38 Homepage of cynik
halfinch
Tourist

Registration Date: 12-03-2009

hey cynik,do you have msn messenger ??
24-05-2009 12:14
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » ???Sends, Returns and Busses???