drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » what frequencies do your basslines hit
Go to the bottom of this page what frequencies do your basslines hit
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

In my opinion, if you synth a sine wave, it will have no audible harmonics at all. Any harmonics that can come off should be from the mixer engine of your program or your speakers.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
20-05-2009 21:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I think what Clifford (the big red dog) is trying to say is that some synths oscilators dont start at the zero point every time you hit a note so quite often you can get pops and clicks when the midi notes goes on or off.

This is why i filter my sine wave subs when I use a synth to generate them.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

20-05-2009 21:26 Homepage of D2o
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Faulty synths Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
20-05-2009 21:27 Homepage of Muad'Dib
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

well no not really Wink

__

20-05-2009 21:42 Homepage of D2o
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

that is strange i was using a lowpass to get rid of clicks in massive when using a square wave on the lfo on the amp control with a sine wave bass....(still got your breath?) but is encouraging to know that other people get clicks also.

do you find massive is quite clicky and poppy? and the legato/glide doesnt work very well i find.

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
21-05-2009 11:09
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
Clifford (the big red dog)

ROFL

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 21-05-2009 11:47.

21-05-2009 11:47 Homepage of cynik
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
well no not really Wink

Alright now, you wanna make a pure sine wave, and the synth shows it's synthing a pure sine wave, and it still has audible harmonics and distortions - and that's not a faulty synth?

__

-Bene Gesserit
21-05-2009 12:11 Homepage of Muad'Dib
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
well no not really Wink

Alright now, you wanna make a pure sine wave, and the synth shows it's synthing a pure sine wave, and it still has audible harmonics and distortions - and that's not a faulty synth?

Not really, an audio file will do the same if it doesn't start/end on a zero point.

Personally I'd use envelopes to stop them popping and clicking, but eq can work too.
21-05-2009 14:12
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
well no not really Wink

Of course not.

Most sine waves on synths are not actually PURE sine waves.

And just because a synths oscillators don't re-trigger every time you hit a note doesn't mean its faulty.

And anyway i never said about audible harmonics and distortions i was talking about clicks and pops which are neither.

You seriously need to get that chip on your shoulder looked at.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 21-05-2009 19:01.

21-05-2009 18:58 Homepage of D2o
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:
well no not really Wink

Of course not.

Most sine waves on synths are not actually PURE sine waves.

And just because a synths oscillators don't re-trigger every time you hit a note doesn't mean its faulty.

And anyway i never said about audible harmonics and distortions i was talking about clicks and pops which are neither.

You seriously need to get that chip on your shoulder looked at.

I didn't quite get the zero-point start issues in your conversation, so I kinda missed the point. I wrote a reply yesterday with the discovery of my confusion, but my net denied me posting it. :/

Gonna give the chip on quality control check - sometimes it makes me act strange.

__

-Bene Gesserit
22-05-2009 11:23 Homepage of Muad'Dib
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

Helpfulness rating: 

haha

no worries, all is good.

To be fair my explanation probably wasn't all that good

__

22-05-2009 12:06 Homepage of D2o
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
that is strange i was using a lowpass to get rid of clicks in massive when using a square wave on the lfo on the amp control with a sine wave bass....(still got your breath?) but is encouraging to know that other people get clicks also.

do you find massive is quite clicky and poppy? and the legato/glide doesnt work very well i find.

Well, if you use squareforms to modulate, dynamics imply clicks and pops, it's the nature of a square.

no, I never have clicks, unless i create them

To make sure if it is Massive and not a configuration error, just make some simple waves and check your output

And "glide" works fine for me Smile

Make sure you have the latest version of Massive

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 22-05-2009 13:30.

22-05-2009 13:25
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

it's not a faulty synth, digital, or analog synths can do this, were they would interrupt a wave in mid oscillation. for subs, the oscillation is almost down to a cycle per second. you can almost hear them individually. I don't know of a synth that cut's off at zero point. actually with analog synths it can end it not as a type of squarewave but mroe like a triangle wave and even oscillate for a bit. it's just the size of the wave makes it an issue.

generally if you have a normal melody going on, that's above 1khz, you don't notice any stops that are non-zero point. but even if it's not an issue there's no reason you can't low-pass a sine wave if there's no other harmonics, maybe it's pointless, but if there is a click, at least no one will ever fucking believe you.

it's the same choice of doing this, or just not taking extra effort to mix your track and hope everything goes the way you want it to. i usually do fucke dup basslines so i don't want to hear the sine above 100hz, usually, so i'l have 2 eq's layerd on to increase how much it reduces it, just so when i take the basline on a trip up the octabes, it won't start screaming in a pure sine wave at 1khz like a TEST TONE from the emergency broadcast channels

Halph-Price has attached this image (reduced version):
1238982017595.gif

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 23-05-2009 16:23.

23-05-2009 16:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
GeeZZ
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 31-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

i think the clicks and pops are to do with notes ending/starting abruptly ie going from off to -6db for eg. you can minimise and somtimes compleatly erase them by adjusting your attack and release times, ie. make them longer, but most of the times spesh with sub you dont wana do this cos it can make your notes overlapp n sound nastie, best solution eq them lo-pass @ 100 for your sub also a sine wave does still give off SUM harmonics? i know this sounds wrong (to me anyway) but if you play a note you dont get a straght line at 50 hz for eg. do you, u get sum action above an below?
13-01-2010 08:27
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » what frequencies do your basslines hit