drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » what frequencies do your basslines hit
Go to the bottom of this page what frequencies do your basslines hit
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I tend to go for basslines with a lot of note D in them, cos I find thats pretty much the lowest you can go.... but I was listening to a couple of tunes of mine in the car yesterday and it cant really reproduce those low frequencies too well...(maybe round 50 hz), so as a result I didnt really get any bass in the car although there was loads of bass comin out of my home system.

So I may start havin my basslines a bit higher. Im about to put some commercial stuff through an analyzer just to check where those bass notes are hitting.... but im sure a lot of dnb does have very low bass.... is it just me!?!?

I was using a plain sine wave btw, and Im always torn between using that and using a bit or square action, because i do like slightly higher harmonics, but i can just feel the power of the bass moving away. and yes i know about layering. dont sound the same.

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
16-05-2009 10:08
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i was reading something the other day about low-end processing using tools like the waves maxx bass....cant remember where the article was now Roll Eyes but ill have a search and try and find it again.....things like the waves maxx bass process the bass signal by adding harmonics that the ear will associate with the fundamental frequency, so using it on your sub bass for example, the maxx bass will add harmonics that are related to the fundamental frequency and the human ear will relate the added harmoics to the sub bass's fundamental frequency, making it more audible to the human ear....good for using on your bass should the track be played on a radio or any other medium with a narrow bandwidth....are you splitting your bass too....i.e. processing the sub bass and mid-range bass's separetly? you try distorting the sub bass slightly to again add harmonics to it.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
16-05-2009 13:40 Homepage of Sephiroth
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

i suppose it depends on how u made the sub bass in the first place, be it a single sine wave, or a low passed reece, ur not going to need anything below 30hz, sometimes when my subs aren't coming thru a very subtle boost around 50hz helps bring it out a bit more, also as Seph said a touch of tape distortion can give it more character and make it more audible

__

16-05-2009 13:54 Homepage of Ketz
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

waves rbass works a treat with subs.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
16-05-2009 15:01
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
... but I was listening to a couple of tunes of mine in the car yesterday and it cant really reproduce those low frequencies too well...(maybe round 50 hz), so as a result I didnt really get any bass in the car although there was loads of bass comin out of my home system.

So I may start havin my basslines a bit higher. Im about to put some commercial stuff through an analyzer just to check where those bass notes are hitting.... but im sure a lot of dnb does have very low bass....

You should have a sub for support on the low end, but you need low mids too in your bass. Subs alone is not enough and they don't have character so if everyone did it this way all tunes would sound the same. Layering is the solution.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
16-05-2009 17:33 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

when i do my seriously low sub basslines, it's always the same, at least 2 seperat tracks, one is a low low sine wave with EVERYTHING above 120hz filtered out, and then whatever type of other synth, usually the same as the sine wave synth, s they sync a bit, with everything below 200hz filtered out.

then mix together, compress, add my nuts.

true bass only comes from sine waves, since all sound is made of sine waves.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 16-05-2009 23:01.

16-05-2009 23:00 Homepage of Halph-Price
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 

using keys f and g is good becaus ethe low notes are generally the strongest in terms of sub power.
16-05-2009 23:05
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by techlogix
using keys f and g is good becaus ethe low notes are generally the strongest in terms of sub power.

want to expand on why that is? Wouldn't that make F# the godlike bass note?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

16-05-2009 23:11 Homepage of Halph-Price
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

frequency is not directly related to pitvh, they are still 2 different things

i can play f# with a piccolo & with a synth and both make them sound bassy, just by playing

it's the (relative) pitch you play that will deceide if it's bassy, mid or hi

this also depends of the octave,scale and dynamic of the pitch

and the other elements in the tune

asking which frequency is like

asking directions to your undefined goal

Finding the right pitch is hard, not much people can effectively interpret or 'recreate' true harmonic content...

Interpreting an analyzer a breeze, if you know what you see. Undefined frequencies are mostly unwanted i guess...

Experimentation & practice is my advice Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 17-05-2009 00:54.

17-05-2009 00:49
Uberchile Uberchile is a male
www.myspace.com/uberchile

Registration Date: 14-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

on the theoretical side to bring out the fundamental waves you could layer the direct harmonics over the top i.e n=2,n=3 waves.

so iff the bass frequenciy you were using was 60hz layer 120hz and 240hz over it i.e just double but probably reduce the volume of the higher frequiencies as they go up so:

100% 60hz + 50% 120hz + 25%240 etc.
(make sure all the waves are in phase!!!!!!!!!)

this is in theory from what i know about wave superposition from AS level physics but yeah...

and each note has its own fundamental frequency

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-UC-

__
www.myspace.com/uberchile
17-05-2009 11:37 Homepage of Uberchile
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:

i dont really know why that is haha but i do know that it works for me Big Grin unfortunately i dont get to "into" frequency and such and cant see the point in frequency analysers nowaday Big Grin so i may be missing the point somewhere, but f sharp is also good, i find that d is pushin it to its extremes really im not sayin use only these key signitures either but when you make a bassline etc make sure that the sub is transposed to the most powerfull note it can so if your bline has a low note like a c transpose that up 12 semi tones, this is how i generally do it anyways and i try to have f, f sharp and g as my lowest notes in the bline. sometimes i will push it to a d but then the bass starts to sound tired Big Grin
17-05-2009 15:27
DJ_Rx
Tourist

Registration Date: 07-05-2009

quote:
quote:

Because F on the on the lower octave hits round 40Hz and G roughly on the 50Hz, pretty much the lowest feqs you can _easily_ use in our DNB track. I kinda favour G because It gives me few lower notes to go down with in my productions. D on the other hand is right on the lo-sub edge round 35Hz and It realy doesn´t sound good on basic sound system. This means you have to include the upper octave round 70Hz in order to get some more weight to the notes and you don´t have any lower note reserve as they go below 35Hz.
17-05-2009 20:42
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Rx
quote:
quote:

Because F on the on the lower octave hits round 40Hz and G roughly on the 50Hz, pretty much the lowest feqs you can _easily_ use in our DNB track. I kinda favour G because It gives me few lower notes to go down with in my productions. D on the other hand is right on the lo-sub edge round 35Hz and It realy doesn´t sound good on basic sound system. This means you have to include the upper octave round 70Hz in order to get some more weight to the notes and you don´t have any lower note reserve as they go below 35Hz.

winrar

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

17-05-2009 22:31 Homepage of Halph-Price
DJ_Rx
Tourist

Registration Date: 07-05-2009

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Rx
quote:
quote:

winrar

... Roll Eyes

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DJ_Rx: 18-05-2009 08:45.

18-05-2009 08:43
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
when i do my seriously low sub basslines, it's always the same, at least 2 seperat tracks, one is a low low sine wave with EVERYTHING above 120hz filtered out, and then whatever type of other synth, usually the same as the sine wave synth, s they sync a bit, with everything below 200hz filtered out.

and why would you filter out everything above 120 hz from a pure sine wave, which has no harmonics?

and also i do distort my subs sometimes, but the point is that a pure sine wave is the strongest bass, as soon as you distort it it becomes more like a square wave which is feels less powerful

__
18-05-2009 11:44
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

the 120Hz sine wave WILL always have higher & lower harmonics, it's almost impossible to narrow the quality of you EQ/filter that perfect...and you will ALWAYS have certain noise /artefacts

1 sine wave with no harmonics isn't musical, it's more a static abstract representation of something nearly inexistent

Distotrion on sine is a common method to 'add' harmonics (they're already there in your 'sine'(minimal), so filtering them out is not that stupid if you want to use/process them later...)
18-05-2009 13:42
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
quote:

and why would you filter out everything above 120 hz from a pure sine wave, which has no harmonics?

and also i do distort my subs sometimes, but the point is that a pure sine wave is the strongest bass, as soon as you distort it it becomes more like a square wave which is feels less powerful

good question, the answer is a pure sine wave that stops mid refraction or rarefaction becomes a SQUARE wave. not a nice sound. it may seem pointless to filter the basslines, but it just helps eliminate any problems the synth might create. It's a little trick I was taught by an experienced electronica artist.

also, if you play them at the same time as me, if you hit a few higher notes, you'll not have a super loud sine wave coming out at 500hz.

seems redundant, but it does stop other harmonics from entering.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

18-05-2009 16:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

i have absoloutely no idea what your talking about

__
20-05-2009 11:21
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

x2
20-05-2009 12:19
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

I also hi cut my sub-sines @ about 100 - 120hz because I dont want those high frequencies there. Obviously. Tomato

..I use 3xOsc and it creates a click or something to the sound and I just try to get rid of the click with cutting the sine. Teeth

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
20-05-2009 12:26 Homepage of Puzzle
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » what frequencies do your basslines hit