Go to the bottom of this page analog sound
Author
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

easy peeps,

i keep reading posts about people running thier soundcard through an analog desk to give it a raw analog feel and sound? no one metions what desk though, so my question is, what desk and how much would a desk cost me ( bearing in mind im a broke ass taxi controller ), and is it really worth it? is there any other eqipment that can be used? ive heard people mention guitar stomp boxes etc..............any veiws on this subject or any ideas are very welcome.
i hope you understand the question, im not really that up on hardware.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by the moneyshot: 13-05-2009 11:35.

13-05-2009 11:33
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

you just answered your own question Wink

let the output of your soundcard flow through 'analog chains', it really doesn't matter:

bad cables, bad headers, EMI, broken amp, your cat chewing on the cables, ....

all the stuff you don't want to have when you want produce 'clean', recreate it with simple cheap hardware techniques (creative annoyances?) , or use software if you d6n't want to make your hands dirty....(and use theoretically UN-random algorhytms..)

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 14-05-2009 18:41.

14-05-2009 18:31
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Have you tried voxengo plugins??

I recommend their Varisaturator, Warmifier and tubeamp fx plugins if you want to add a little warmth but keep it all in the box

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

14-05-2009 19:05 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Dethworm Dethworm is a male
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

your not gunna get analog sound unless your using analog equipment...simple as that. Whether it be a shitty four track u find at the thrift store or even a reel to reel machine ha ha its not going to have that analog warmth.

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
20-05-2009 22:25 Homepage of Dethworm
JsinnKonkrete

images/avatars/avatar-2836.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2009

This is a fun field to go really experimental into. Visit a thrift shop pick up an old receiver and run your sound through it. Not gritty enough take out your baseball bat (or cricket bat depending on what side of the ocean your on) and beat the hell out of it. Then plug it up again. People build their own "boxes" to run their sound through that do all sorts of wonderful things to the sound.
02-06-2009 16:53
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

the more important part of the whole mix is not as much what you run it through but the I/O of the converter from Digital-Analog. and vice versa. just running it through a Digital-Analog-Digital will do the exact same thing. it's not the desk as much as making ti an actual electrical signal.

So what this would do would is give the analog sample rate. electrical signals have infinite sample rate. Also it takes the harshness of high end of synths out of the mix, and replaces it with a smoother meshing. It can go either way SOMETIMES, but ultimately it's better then the digital squeal. I notice it quite a lot. Most people can't notice that high end sound as much, I notice.

Good converter was something like Lasie or Leslie, I forget. Still, that's the little known fact of what's important, but usually the I/O converters are use to go to and from a desk. So it seems it's the desk, but that's just running a cable out of the computer and back in, it shouldn't add any sound to it. if it did, the only sound it would add is noise, with the increase of impedance.

So you do get analog sample frequency by running it through a Digital-Analog converter and back. I use Voxengo VST's shit for simular effect. i.e. Warmafier and Insert.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 02-06-2009 18:19.

02-06-2009 18:13 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » analog sound