drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » SONGWRITING RESOURCES: Internets
Go to the bottom of this page SONGWRITING RESOURCES: Internets
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Beyond writing music, I now got a mic and am trying to write songs. Songs are music with lyrics, by definition. It's pretty sweet, but to sing isn't a talent of mine.

So, here's what I have been doing to get past that whole hurdle of having no singing talents at all. (Not having talent hasn't stopped me yet, but it just makes me more creative I find. I don't have it as easy... Big Grin or maybe, I gots it way to easy... meh.)

First, I look up a scale using this AMAZING website
Piano Chords and Scales made easy
Keyword in there is EASY. there's even a spot you can copy and past the scale, for reference when making the music after.

Second, I use this awesome vst
GSnap
which I just found recently, but it works better then Antares AutoTune5 for Auto-Tuning... Antares AutoTune5 is good for, after going along and setting pitch to linear line. but that's after you record.

The best part of GSnap is the the attack and release of the auto tune and you can set notes in midi.

Beyond all of this I have found a good random generator for lyric words that will just blow peoples mind, because they are unusual. Good for song names too!
Naque Random Words
words like:
# docility
# entresol
# fenced
# improvable
# nonius
# pendulous
then just dictionary whatever works.

For easy rhymes I use
Write Express Online Rhyming Dictionary for Poetry and Songwriting
but there's a lot of rhyming dictionaries, this one works better for lyrics. the other options work well for songs.

Don't listen to anyone that says using a dictionary for writing songs is cheating, you still choose the words, and what context there in. you can sing someones else song and completely own it (johnny cash -hurt, marylin manson - sweet dreams) it's not the words.

I think that's it, if you got any other resources that work well for music or songs show me them, I always am looking for more. I suggest you guys bookmark those links though, you never known when you need it, maybe not now, but sometime maybe. Maybe with another artist, so it'll help to have it on hand right away.

I don't use all of these all the time, but i could pump out songs none stop suing these resources. No more writers block. Other good techniques is to just find a bunch of rhyming words, then fill in the rest of the lyrics, or just make up gibberish then see what sort of lyrics fit in after.

-Piano Chords and Scales made easy
-GSnap
-Naque Random Words
-Write Express Online Rhyming Dictionary for Poetry and Songwriting

::EDIT:: I feel weird telling these, because there kinda trade secrets for me

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 09-05-2009 17:22.

08-05-2009 17:46 Homepage of Halph-Price
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

The random word -site is a nice find, I always have trouble thinking of a good track title. Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
08-05-2009 20:16 Homepage of Puzzle
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

to be honest, that one has the most uses, and really doesn't fit into the song writing as much as just it's awesome random words.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-05-2009 17:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » SONGWRITING RESOURCES: Internets