drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » the concept of sample substitution
Go to the bottom of this page the concept of sample substitution
Author
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2792.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

here, i guess is the right place to write a little bit about a concept that came to me just as i was publishing one of my tracks on soundclick. When I found out one of my tracks had copyrighted samples and that it is not welcome to use them as they are, i thought "hey, why not swap it for something similar that is not copyrighted"

the idea is very simple but i find its impact quite staggering.

when producing a new tune, we, the producers almost always use samples - and these are very often either copyrighted or low quality or just do not sound interesting and original anymore because of their overexploitation (think amen break).

the way i approach it is:

find a sample (eg. a drumloop or a bass sequence)
create a new, empty project and load just the problematic sample.
adjust the project's tempo to match the sample
and now just try to recreate the sound within the sample with your one hits/synths:

for example if you have a drum loop, write your own sequence using one-hit drum samples that follows the original loop. The goal now is just to bulid up a "copy" of the original - try to match the groove and frequency response.
now, when finished, render the project (of your new, hand-made loop) to a file, open your song (the one using amen break) and just make your slicers/samplers/granulizers/whateva use your version of the loop instead.

As a result, you should find yourself astonished, how much more 'personal' your tune became when fuelled by your own, rather than "recycled" samples.

or, alternatively, why not swap just the snares in a "ready made" drumloop?
11-04-2009 13:51
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

That's a very interesting technique!! Bigup

It's a great solution if you want to release something on the web to get rid of any copyright tainted samples.

If you match the timing and 'sound' of your self made sample as close as possible to the original you can drop it in without having to make too much changes to the mix.

There are also some tools to make this easier if you are dealing with audio files rather than samplers or slicers. On Protools there is Sound Replacer and Massey DTM which works perfect to replace one shots. On VST you have Drumagog.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
11-04-2009 20:10 Homepage of thechronic
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i take usually 4 different drum brekas, layer them up chopping them up, and eq, compress, fix bad sounds from the orginal, and layer on more snares one hits, and kick one hits, eq that again and compress again, and it sounds new, unique, but it's all previous drum breaks.

i'l take old school 7's breaks and even other durm and bass breaks, and it all sounds thick and original, takes a lot of work, to find the right loops, and to get it all going on the hit right, but with slicex, it's easier now. ... i dunno,

and then all other samples, like quotes, just record it yourself. but scripts have copyrights, so you cannot do exactly the same quotes word for word. get a pitchshifter, or voice changer, and you'll have some crazy sounds.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

20-04-2009 21:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
Acoustiks Acoustiks is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2700.gif

Registration Date: 28-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

For Drum and Bass, I don;t think anyone has anything to worry about with copyrighted samples.

For my drums I usually start with a kick. Then find a few of the best snares I can find. Usually 3. One to improve on the other snare's faults. Then add another snare. But for a light "shuffle", and a hihat under it. Then i'll layer maybe 2-3 loops max. I keep effects to the minimum.

Most times I'll leave the sample as is, besides a low end cut. I chose my sample for what it is, not add countless effects to it.

Create melody, then bass.

This process has worked so far in evading copyright. Drummer
22-04-2009 23:52
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » the concept of sample substitution