drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » more writers block
Go to the bottom of this page more writers block
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Hi people.

I am having some serious writers block, I think this the worst yet. I am not really looking for tips about what to do about it, though those are welcome.

I am just wondering if anyone experiences it in the same way that I do, and am basically looking for some comfort that I should not give up producing all-together!

I often start to make a great tune, but these days do not really bother to finish them, because after working on a tune for a couple of days, I leave it for too long, then come back and can't bring myself to finish it because I am not 100% happy with the mixdown...

I am now at a stage where after sitting down every morning for a few weeks and trying to write a tune, nothing of any significance really happens.. past a nice little riff and drum loop. Even making new synth sounds and stuff seems impossible!

Please give me some comfort that I am not the only one this happens to !

I think I will leave my computer for a while, and then come back when I feel a real urge to... Just frustrating as I have a lot of spare time at the moment and a real craving to make some good tunes!!! ahhhh!

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
01-04-2009 18:29
philbee philbee is a male
Future beats for the streets

images/avatars/avatar-2742.jpg

Registration Date: 18-10-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

DONT PANIC !!!!
Ive been going thru the same thing for about a month now,
sit there,just staring at the screen with no inspiration,anything i do write just sounds crap,etc etc etc,
all i can say is IT WILL PASS!,
ive had it b4 and ill have it again,
just dont worry about it ,
youll hit inspiration soon.
Big Grin

__
Philbee Soundcloud
01-04-2009 20:27 Homepage of philbee
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

id like to add i have found ways of gettin round this. i posted this on af but will do it here too man. just do something in ur daw make urself a plan something out of your comfort zone mate i dunno maybe an instrumental score. i used to find that creative blocks happen when u start to think too deeply into production etc. keep yourself workin on this score or whatever u have chosen to do and by keeping your thoughts away from havin a creative block u will suddenly start comin up with ideas, i know it sounds like shit but its the same as if u have a sleepless night its made worse when u start thinkin about it. i dunno how much sense this makes but will post a better explanation later on.
01-04-2009 20:33
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

all i do mate is just go for somethin a bit random still dnb but go against how ud normally produce ur drums for instance, i find that if my mind aint locked on what im doing it starts to wander and thats when my problems start. if ur doing something productive and not thinkin too much about it ur brain will suddenly go into producer mode and ul just start to come up with stuff naturally. i know it sounds like witch craft and all but it works for me mate. i could just be makin a way out synth then bang u hear somethin in the sound and the rest just rolls in smoothly and u no straight away what u wanna do with it. i find if i try replicating some1s sound the problems get worse for me then i start beating myself up cus my tune sounds wank so i stopped doing that

the explanation i gave on af easyer to understand

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by demure: 01-04-2009 20:36.

01-04-2009 20:35
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

I get that after every tune I finish, Huh Big Grin sometimes it helps to make something completely different (for example Ive made ringtones for myself Tongue ).

But yeah, it will pass.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
01-04-2009 20:50 Homepage of Puzzle
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks, good to know it happens to other people! just annoying as i said cos i got the time at the moment...I listen to old tunes I make and they have so much of a vibe, and just anything ive done recently is, well, shit. I forced myself to finish a tune a while back and im just not proud of it at all...

__
01-04-2009 21:51
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
Hi people.

I am having some serious writers block, I think this the worst yet. I am not really looking for tips about what to do about it, though those are welcome.

I am just wondering if anyone experiences it in the same way that I do, and am basically looking for some comfort that I should not give up producing all-together!

I often start to make a great tune, but these days do not really bother to finish them, because after working on a tune for a couple of days, I leave it for too long, then come back and can't bring myself to finish it because I am not 100% happy with the mixdown...

I am now at a stage where after sitting down every morning for a few weeks and trying to write a tune, nothing of any significance really happens.. past a nice little riff and drum loop. Even making new synth sounds and stuff seems impossible!

Please give me some comfort that I am not the only one this happens to !

I think I will leave my computer for a while, and then come back when I feel a real urge to... Just frustrating as I have a lot of spare time at the moment and a real craving to make some good tunes!!! ahhhh!

Not to worry, writer's block is like a chinese finger trap, the more you try to get out, the deeper you get in. Embrace it and enjoy other things in life.
About 90% of everything I make doesn't get passed a drumline and a couple of riffs. Don't push yourself into making music, enjoy life and as soon as music is an issue again you'll get to it.

Don't work on the mixdown untill the tune is 95% finished, meaning you are happy with the instruments, melodies and structure.

You can go samplehunting, learn to use some vst's, layer some breaks, read some manuals or watch some tutorial videos on youtube and most important: listen to some music from others. Chasing girls or drink yourself to death is not on the list, but I don't think you need it written down. Big Grin

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-04-2009 21:52 Homepage of BattleDrone
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by philbee
DONT PANIC !!!!
Ive been going thru the same thing for about a month now,
sit there,just staring at the screen with no inspiration,anything i do write just sounds crap,etc etc etc,
all i can say is IT WILL PASS!,
ive had it b4 and ill have it again,
just dont worry about it ,
youll hit inspiration soon.
Big Grin

totally been there lately myself mate, it was quite a scary feelin as i hadn't run dry of ideas in like a year (well really since i started producing again which was late 07), but i managed to get out of it so definately don't give up Happy

i agree sitting there infront of the screen with no inspriation can be mind numbing, i also agree its not about "forcing" it, it just gets worse and puts u off even more, i would just get back into makin music for the fun of it (makin crazy experimental tracks that u actually enjoy makin can help give u some refreshin ideas that u could possibly put into a tune later), listen to loads of artists (dnb and non dnb) who inspire you, try to sound like them, u'll end up makin somethin completely different - or just go off on one and try makin somethin u never tried before

and when it all falls into place, and u make that killer tune that gives u goosebumps u'll say it was all worth it end Drummer

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 02-04-2009 00:06.

02-04-2009 00:05 Homepage of Ketz
Urn

Registration Date: 24-02-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

yeah. i had a beak about 2 years. before that i composed death metal )
then ive felt that theres no point in creating for some reason...
2 years of silence... well yeah, i played in a band (and still playin), but thats different. then, lots of changed in my life, i made myself dreadlocks, changed clothes i wear, and discovered dnb. and felt inspiration again ;-)

as for less-term breaks, i can advice: focus on technics. cant be creative? get your skills at higher level. experiment with sounds, explore your sequencing program, watch/read some tutorials. just to make sure when inspiration comes, youll nail every note of it right!
02-04-2009 00:19
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

try loading up a plug-in you've never used before.....if ur using fl, theres a cool little plug-in called the bitmap generator (orsomething like that)....load a picture of your face into it and hear how it sounds Wink

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
02-04-2009 22:24 Homepage of Sephiroth
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

don't forget that there's people who got really rich by having a writer's block, just take Timbaland as an example...

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
03-04-2009 02:17 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

im there now mate, hope it goes away soon Frown

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

03-04-2009 02:25 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

awwww you guys are so awesome, group hug Crying

__
03-04-2009 12:49
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Huh ROFL

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
03-04-2009 19:23 Homepage of Muad'Dib
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

04-04-2009 02:51 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
collective collective is a male
TeamSleaze.com

Registration Date: 28-11-2006

dude make diffrent styles of music its the best thing to do.or look into your soul and see what type of person you look at the world see what it really is like and lay down how you feel about shit. watch a film take a scene out the movie and right a track about that, as though you were doing the muisc for it but deffo make other beats and you will see what you come up with its suprising.

the site needs a section for us to up things other than the genres that are on here as it would be intresting to see what other people make.when they aint doing DnB

__
did you know that some men go out with men not as freinds!!! huummm thats a bit odd aint it!!!!!!
04-04-2009 12:04 Homepage of collective
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

just thought id let yall know i have come out of my writers block!

ive now started a couple of good tunes that I can tell I will finish to the end..or near enough! the point is the fun has completely come back into making tunes, and i feel really inspired a lot.

I dont know what in particular it was that made me snap out of it, I havnt really even taken that much of a break from makin tunes, just a little bit less.

This happens regularly, the cycle of in and out of writers block, but sometimes when u start a bad phase, it is sooo hard to tell yourself that you will snap out of it... but its just something I really need to remember.

I apologise to my DAW for considering quitting producing.

Pleased

__
18-04-2009 20:51
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Bigup

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
I apologise to my DAW for considering quitting producing.

Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
18-04-2009 21:12 Homepage of Puzzle
Krisch Krisch is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2727.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

I also think that making different style of music can help you out from writers block. It can give you a lot of inspiration to making dnb again.

quote:
Originally posted by collective
the site needs a section for us to up things other than the genres that are on here as it would be intresting to see what other people make.when they aint doing DnB

Yeah maybe, but until that come over to http://alternatingfrequencies.com there you can upload any style of music. And we have a pretty nice community over there as well Hug Big Grin
18-04-2009 21:46 Homepage of Krisch
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

quote:
Originally posted by Krisch
I also think that making different style of music can help you out from writers block. It can give you a lot of inspiration to making dnb again.

quote:
Originally posted by collective

Yeah maybe, but until that come over to http://alternatingfrequencies.com there you can upload any style of music. And we have a pretty nice community over there as well Hug Big Grin

Lmao @ Krisch !!!

I'm not really the group hug pansy type mate but ok whatever.

There is however a really good thread on writers/artist block compiled by one of our moderators (PLaGuE CeLL)

Which can be found via the FAQ or HERE

ez.

__

18-04-2009 22:13 Homepage of Sentinel
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » more writers block