drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Self releasing an album
Go to the bottom of this page Self releasing an album
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Nice read Bigup

http://www.musicianwages.com/the-working...101-the-basics/

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
31-03-2009 16:09 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Second that Bigup Bigup

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
31-03-2009 16:33 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

now, i just sent off my cd's to cdbaby.com yeserday, it's good prices for it, but i learned that it's really good.

even though, they compared cdbaby, it seems, with napster, itunes ands uch for selling music, you can't sell songs on iTunes.

you can't.

you have to have a track record, or be released through a label, and show you are selling songs. chicken and the egg going on there.

CDBaby gets your music onto online distributors. they have a track record as a distributor.

let me just say i had the luck of a teacher showing us this before hand, so i got to preview this and see how there service was beforehand. you'll just have to take my word on this though, unfortunately. it makes me doubt the level of research done into this article though.

CDBaby.com
quote:

The Deal

* Think of it like traditional physical distribution:

o You are the label. (You own the music and all rights.)

o The retail store is now Apple iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, etc.

o CD Baby is just the distributor that gets your music to the retailer.

o They pay us. We pay you.

* We do not take any rights to your music. This is not a record deal.

* You are just “lending” us the right to be your digital distributor, for the albums you tell us distribute, for as long as you want.

* You can cancel at any time. We will never tie up your rights or make it hard for you to leave.

The Money

* NO startup cost. This is a free service for CD Baby members.

* We keep only 9% and pay you 91% of all income from your music.

* You always get paid the week after we do.

It's NON-Exclusive, but...

* Just like in the physical world, there can't be more than one distributor bringing the same album to the same store. Otherwise, when the album sells, how would the store know which distributor to pay?

* We will never prevent you from doing anything you want with your music.

* For YOUR sake, please note : If you sign two digital distribution deals with two companies that will both be sending the same album to iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, etc - this will hurt you, because the retailer will usually remove the album completely until you decide which distributor has the exclusive right to be selling that album through them.

i'll list other services that cdbaby also offers to opt-in to

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 31-03-2009 16:49.

31-03-2009 16:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

so for that article to compare cdbaby against Napster, and rhapsody, and amazon.com and itunes, is redundant, because cdbaby gets you on those AND it sells you ACTAUL physical cds, AND it can get you a UPC code for that CD as well.

They start with 5 CDs and go from there, and will hold onto these forever.

quote:

What WE do

* We make a web page dedicated to selling your CD on cdbaby.com. It includes sound clips, links back to your own website, reviews, and all of the text and descriptions you want.

* We give you a permanent URL address on cdbaby.com, so you can tell people where to buy your CD.

* We put it in the galleries and search engines at cdbaby.com - which gets over 150,000 hits a day from people who are looking for new independent CDs to buy.

* We take all credit card orders for your CD, online or through our toll-free phone number, and ship it to them within hours.

* We email you every time your CD is sold to tell you who bought it!

* If you signed up for Digital Distribution, we encode and digitally deliver your music to our partner companies such as Apple iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster, Amazon MP3, and more.

How the MONEY works

* You set your selling price at whatever you want.

* We keep $4 for every CD sale and 9% for every MP3 download through CD Baby.

* For Digital Distribution and Live Sales, we only keep a flat 9% cut. You get 91% of all income.

* There is a one-time $35 charge to set up a new CD in our store, with everything we described above. (Here's why.)

* We pay every Monday night by bank-transfer, paper check, or PayPal. You can set your “pay point” - to be paid whenever you want! (Imagine that!)

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

31-03-2009 16:51 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

sites they sell on:
quote:

With CD Baby Digital Distribution, your music will be available for sale on the following services and more:

Apple iTunes

Downloadable program for Mac and Windows.

Rhapsody

Downloadable program for Windows, based more towards playing/streaming/listening than downloading.
eMusic

Subscription service where members can download up to 40 tracks per month of high-quality MP3 files.

Amazon

Yep. They now have an mp3 store!

Napster

Downloadable program for Windows. Subscription and a la carte service.

Verizon V-CAST

V-Cast Music Store is Verizon's digital music service that can be accessed on a PC and on new Verizon phones. V-Cast includes music from the major record labels and independent artists.

Liquid Digital Media

Liquid exclusively provides music for Wal-Mart's digital download store.

PayPlay

PayPlay is a download store that provides widgets and focuses on independent music. It’s available for Windows users and requires no registration or software download.

AudioLunchbox

One of the first all-independent music download sites.

GroupieTunes

GroupieTunes is a service that sells independent music online and via mobile phones. Customers can purchase ringtones from their phones and have the charges included in their cell phone bill.

Ruckus

Ruckus is a subscription download service designed exclusively for colleges and universities. Participating schools pay a monthly subscription fee to provide their students with all-you-can-eat "tethered" downloads.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 31-03-2009 17:05.

31-03-2009 16:52 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

and then these are optional a bit more out there sites thoes awer ethe mainstream ones above:

quote:

Digipie is an interactive website that offers a la carte downloads. Tracks retail for 99¢ and albums retail for $9.99. Digipie is selective about the material they include in their retail service, so not all CD Baby music will be available. DigiPie pays us 65 cents per song and $6.50 per full-album.

iSound is a site that sells a la carte downloads and will offer free streaming music at 128 kbps. This means that if you opt-in to iSound, customers will be able to check out your album for free by streaming the songs (but not downloading them) before deciding whether or not to purchase your music. iSound pays CD Baby 65 cents per song and $6.50 per full-album, and we will need to send them your email address so they can set up your account.

Tasty Audio is a free service that offers legal music discovery through a web based player and community. Tasty Audio is similar to radio for independent music with artists/labels giving listening permission to an online audience. Files are shared through the network in a controlled environment. Listeners can encourage their friends to listen/enjoy their favorites. Tasty Audio allows artists to identify the geographic and demographic breakdown of their audience. This service offers a connection between artists and listeners and helps artists get a better idea of how listeners react to their music.

Nareos is an online retailer that sells music through its online store and its "peer-to-peer presence platform". The Nareos P2P platform promotes secure & legal sales of music on all P2P networks, including its own service PeerReach. The Nareos file sharing on these networks are monitored globally 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Nareos also has a proprietary mobile application that will be used for OTA (over-the-air) downloads, which allow music lovers to download full length songs directly to their mobile phones. Nareos pays CD Baby 65 cents per song and $6.50 per full-album.
Flip Technologies is the creator of the JBox - a modern music system based on the old fashioned Diner-Type jukebox. Flip Technologies places JBox units in establishments and users pay to select songs for play (streaming). Flip Technologies pays CD Baby 2 cents per play of each song.

INTENT MediaWorks wraps each song file with Digital Rights Management protection. The protected files are then distributed through many peer-to-peer networks, where they can be purchased through the DRM via Paypal. INTENT pays CD Baby 70 cents per song and $7.00 per full-album, and also has its own peer-to-peer network called MyPeer.

Peer Impact is a closed peer-to-peer system that allows legal, monetized trading of music, videos, games, and more. Peer Impact pays 70 cents for each song and $7.00 for each album that is sold, and they pay artists and rewards customers for promoting their favorite music.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 31-03-2009 17:05.

31-03-2009 16:54 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

Yup nice find !!! Big Grin

Taaa.

__

31-03-2009 16:59 Homepage of Sentinel
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

now i just want to say, Tunecore does the same thing, but doens't offer to sell physical CD's, and this article says that Tunecore takes less money if you sell more then 32 records. but if you got people that will buy that actual CD, you can sell that for better cash. so it's all a weird model.

I am sorry I spammed this page with information I cut and pasted but, it helps give a lot more detailed information to a big part of that webpage. just so you know what it's going into.

I strongly recommend going these routes, you can still have links on your webpage to these songs, and for a guy like me that's a big out there, I am looking for niche markets, more then label type music. i got a nice printer for just under 100 bucks, that does Direct CD printing, looks good for them, and just got the CD spines and jewel casings and printed them off myself.

You get to see who and where people buy the actual CD from, and it's all over the world. it's really cool. and 9% they keep for you to sell an album may seem like a lot, but since a label traditionally takes 50%-40% of the profits from records, you would actually be making more profit, either way.

CDBaby if you want to sell physical CD's Tunecore if digital.

CDBaby can even help with selling CD's at actual venues too, if you have a UPC code for the CD you can sel these anywhere, and they are tracked.

without these guys, you'd have a shit hard time getting you music on the big sites, without a label with a track record already established.

so right now, not on a label, just by myself, without having to worry about anything, I'll get my ablum, setup on all of those sites, i set up for the all the opt-ins, and they will takes 9% for doing all of that work. that is a sweet deal.

and I tried to tell you guys, you could just get thechronic to master an album from songs on this site, and sell them through Tunecore or CDBaby, adn ahve all of that distribution. you don't even have to pay the initial fee, it just comes out f the first profits. so $35 one time fee.

hell, you could just change a word on the site, that says, if you submit this work of art, you allow chronic to distribute it for promotional purposes. give credit to the artists, and to this website.

but eh, that's just my thinking about how to make a business from this.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 31-03-2009 17:14.

31-03-2009 17:04 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

I have 4 distributors besides my own site.

www.digital-tunes.net - take small % of profits per sale (instant register)
www.beatsdigital.com - take small % of profits per sale (instant register)
www.chemical-records.co.uk - take smallish % of profits per sale (instant register but requires label verification)
https://lms.juno.co.uk/lms/registration/ - take up to 50% profit per sale. (requires contract by post x 2)

__

31-03-2009 17:07 Homepage of Sentinel
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Self releasing an album