drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Yamaha HS50M or HS80M ?
Go to the bottom of this page Yamaha HS50M or HS80M ?
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2721.png

Registration Date: 27-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.50

Hey guys, I want to buy a new pair of monitors, and I pretty much decided on the Yamahas, but I don't know which one to buy.

HS 50M
  • frequency range 55 Hz-20 kHz (-10 dB)
  • 5" woofer (45watts), 3/4" tweeter (25 watts)

HS 80M
  • frequency range 42 Hz-20 kHz (-10 dB)
  • 8" woofer (75watts), 1" tweeter (45 watts)

The HS50M has a 5 inch speaker, I don't know how well can reproduce the low frequencies.

Has anyone got the chance to actually hear both of them?

__
Add me up on MySpace (link changed): myspace.com/SundancerDnb
30-03-2009 00:01 Homepage of Sundancer
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

Listen to them, and then decide. You have to go to a store and ask to listen to them.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

30-03-2009 03:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i have the hs80m's and i love em loads.
i got them for an extremely good price(£330 with cables thrown in)
but id like a little more stereo separation out of them, but for the price i cant complain.
do ask halph price suggests, take your fav music and do some audtions in the shops,
its the only way m8.
(the other option i was looking at where yam ns10's and a separate sub box)

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
30-03-2009 09:08
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
Listen to them, and then decide. You have to go to a store and ask to listen to them.

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
30-03-2009 10:08 Homepage of cynik
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

one thing you need to think about is the size, shape and acoustic of the room you are going to be using them in.

If you have a small room with poor acoustics then getting the bigger speakers could cause you all kinds of problems in the lower frequenices with standing waves. (read up on this here http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acoustics/AcousticsCrashCourse1-Mod.html)

Basically, the low end could become very unpredictable with some frequencies becoming very loud whilst others almost disapearing completely.

As you can guess this could lead you to making some poor decisions when it comes to mixdowns and you mixes are likely to sound shit when you play them elsewhere.

Another consideration is that a smaller cone, although not so good for the low end can in fact be much better at producing mid range.
In case of the KRK rokets, the 6inch versions are reported as having a clearer, more defined mid range.

And mid range is argubly one of the more important parts of your mix as that is where alot of the action is happing.
The low end is really only going to be you kick and sub.
And once you get used to the low bass level of smaller speakers you soon get accustomed to the amount of sub you need in a mix.

This is why i'd never reccomend someone to get a sub in a poor sounding/treated room as you'll make your life harder during mixing.

And be carefull when you go to a shop to listen to speakers as quite often the room you'll listen to them in has been treated so they are likely to sound different when you get them home.
When you do go to the shop, take a cd of a few tracks you know really well, not just dnb too. Your previous knowledge of these tracks will help you decide on what speakers sound better to you.

Another thing to think about is not to go for the speakers that sound 'best'
you want to get speakers that reveal any flaws in the song, allowing for easier decisions when it comes to eq etc.

Anyway sorry for the long essay, just a few things for you to digest before you jump into buying any monitors. Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

30-03-2009 11:19 Homepage of D2o
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
one thing you need to think about is the size, shape and acoustic of the room you are going to be using them in.

If you have a small room with poor acoustics then getting the bigger speakers could cause you all kinds of problems in the lower frequenices with standing waves. (read up on this here http://www.marktaw.com/recording/Acoustics/AcousticsCrashCourse1-Mod.html)

Basically, the low end could become very unpredictable with some frequencies becoming very loud whilst others almost disapearing completely.

As you can guess this could lead you to making some poor decisions when it comes to mixdowns and you mixes are likely to sound shit when you play them elsewhere.

Another consideration is that a smaller cone, although not so good for the low end can in fact be much better at producing mid range.
In case of the KRK rokets, the 6inch versions are reported as having a clearer, more defined mid range.

And mid range is argubly one of the more important parts of your mix as that is where alot of the action is happing.
The low end is really only going to be you kick and sub.
And once you get used to the low bass level of smaller speakers you soon get accustomed to the amount of sub you need in a mix.

This is why i'd never reccomend someone to get a sub in a poor sounding/treated room as you'll make your life harder during mixing.

And be carefull when you go to a shop to listen to speakers as quite often the room you'll listen to them in has been treated so they are likely to sound different when you get them home.
When you do go to the shop, take a cd of a few tracks you know really well, not just dnb too. Your previous knowledge of these tracks will help you decide on what speakers sound better to you.

Another thing to think about is not to go for the speakers that sound 'best'
you want to get speakers that reveal any flaws in the song, allowing for easier decisions when it comes to eq etc.

Anyway sorry for the long essay, just a few things for you to digest before you jump into buying any monitors. Big Grin

I am suffering from this and I have the HS80M's. Listening to them in a shop is one thing, using them at home is another thing.
When watching some tutorial videos from well know DnB producers on youtube I always noticed that they have fairly small monitors. It's not simply "the bigger the better" in this case.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
30-03-2009 12:07 Homepage of BattleDrone
Sundancer Sundancer is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks guys for your responses.

I have a fairly small room, and the monitors will be placed at 1 meter distance from me, so I don't need them to be loud at all.

I think I will buy the HS50Ms, and I hope I will get used to the weaker bass.

If I'm in doubt when doing my mixdown, I can still use my old speakers that have TOO much bass, lol Big Grin

__
30-03-2009 12:54 Homepage of Sundancer
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

well, my gf has the hs50m's and well, i dont complain about the bass tbh Wink

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
30-03-2009 23:39 Homepage of Friscko
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer
Thanks guys for your responses.

I have a fairly small room, and the monitors will be placed at 1 meter distance from me, so I don't need them to be loud at all.

If I'm in doubt when doing my mixdown, I can still use my old speakers that have TOO much bass, lol Big Grin

small rooms you almost don't even want a sub, but i understnad, it's the easiest way to tell how the bass is rolling. basically all you need is to watch the cone if it vibrates, not even if it makes a sound.....

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

30-03-2009 23:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer

Do it, having two pairs of speakers is essential for mixing, and having both a pair with weak sub and a pair with overpowered sub will make your mixes much better if you can get it to sound good on both systems.

I got a handy button on my amp that switches between my two pairs, love it Big Grin

When mixing, switch speakers every 20-30 minutes to reduce hearing adaptation and fatigue Bigup

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
18-04-2009 20:33 Homepage of thechronic
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Actually I bought my HS50Ms, about two weeks ago.

They are much louder than I tought! And the bass is not that weak as I expected, it doesn't go very deep, but you can hear what's in there anyway.

So far I'm really happy with them Smile

__
18-04-2009 23:35 Homepage of Sundancer
collective collective is a male
TeamSleaze.com

Registration Date: 28-11-2006

just save for makies hr824s they are industry standard and are superb man they are the best you can get so why not get them man

__
did you know that some men go out with men not as freinds!!! huummm thats a bit odd aint it!!!!!!
20-04-2009 11:20 Homepage of collective
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by collective
just save for makies hr824s they are industry standard and are superb man they are the best you can get so why not get them man

i hate how the term 'industry standard' is thrown about.

The Mackie's are good but they certainly aren't the industry standard, and too be honest i don't think there actually is one where it comes to monitors.

So many studios use a whole host of different monitoring systems from genelec to PMC and quested. Dynaudio also do some amazing monitors.

To say they are the best a bold statement not to mention a ridiculous one.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

20-04-2009 11:55 Homepage of D2o
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

Having the best monitors won't help you if you cannot engineer your tracks properly. For me this was a step up anyway, I can already hear mistakes in my previous mixdowns, which were not noticable on my previous speakers.

Also, so far I am a bedroom producer. Why do I even need an "industry standard" monitor?

__
20-04-2009 19:25 Homepage of Sundancer
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

welcome to the wonderful world of yamaha sir.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
20-04-2009 20:51
collective collective is a male
TeamSleaze.com

Registration Date: 28-11-2006

makies aint just for making music on mate they are a quality speaker man and please dont say my statement is a bold one as i work in the industyr anyway and know what im on about and for bedroom and studio monitors makies are a quality purchase. hence there price.

think about it like this a lambo has its price for a reason so do speakers.

__
did you know that some men go out with men not as freinds!!! huummm thats a bit odd aint it!!!!!!
23-04-2009 00:53 Homepage of collective
napster55 napster55 is a male
Snitch And Chemist

images/avatars/avatar-2768.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
quote:

i hate how the term 'industry standard' is thrown about.

The Mackie's are good but they certainly aren't the industry standard, and too be honest i don't think there actually is one where it comes to monitors.

So many studios use a whole host of different monitoring systems from genelec to PMC and quested. Dynaudio also do some amazing monitors.

To say they are the best a bold statement not to mention a ridiculous one.

yummmmmmmm PMC Mointors sound amazing. very pricey though Smile

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

__
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SNCDNB

-SNITCH-

-AIM - SNITCHDNB
-MSN- DUKES21_3@HOTMAIL.COM
20-07-2009 20:47 Homepage of napster55
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Yamaha HS50M or HS80M ?