drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Jungle breaks and shuffle.
Go to the bottom of this page Jungle breaks and shuffle.
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 01-03-2009

The post on punchy kicks and drums has helped me a lot so thanks for that. However what I am struggling to create is to get create is the shuffle in the high end of the break how is this done? Also I have been looking at the EQ of a pretty old jungle sounding break and the drums all seem to be hitting at a higher HZ than people of have been suggesting with the Kick peaking at: 200hz , snare 300 -1000hz. The break i have been looking at is on the David Carbone sample pack DC_break17_175 for refrence. So I was wondering how is a break like this created? Of samples I have most of the KICks and snares I have don't fall within this range. Thanks for any help.
15-03-2009 10:32
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

if you have Fruity Slicer or anything similar, you could put a break in there and leave the break as-is, and have a look at it (don't rearrange it).
You'll notice high-hats, ringcymbals, rimshots, etc and some noise. I heard of people putting white noise behind every snare, I personally don't do it always and if I do it I use a sliced up noise-break for it (which is already filtered and ready for use)

it's always interesting to mention which DAW's you use
allright now go, go, go! Drummer

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
15-03-2009 11:50 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
padders
Tourist

Yeah i use fl studio and have been putting the break in fruity slicer to look at it. Yeah Ive heard of using white noise how is that done? do you just get a sample of white noise from somewhere? I do use rides and hats but dont seem to get the high intensity shuffle that gives jungle breaks so much power
15-03-2009 12:03
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by padders
The post on punchy kicks and drums has helped me a lot so thanks for that. However what I am struggling to create is to get create is the shuffle in the high end of the break how is this done? Also I have been looking at the EQ of a pretty old jungle sounding break and the drums all seem to be hitting at a higher HZ than people of have been suggesting with the Kick peaking at: 200hz , snare 300 -1000hz. The break i have been looking at is on the David Carbone sample pack DC_break17_175 for refrence. So I was wondering how is a break like this created? Of samples I have most of the KICks and snares I have don't fall within this range. Thanks for any help.

If you're talking about a more old school jungle sound I think that your kicks n snares probably would be hitting at higher frequencies than mentioned in the punchy drums thread. The advice given in that thread was for getting punch and weight into your hits along the lines of the ubiquitous 200hz pendusnare and was spot on for achieving that kind of sound. With that old school sound, they achieved it in the 1st place by pitching old breaks up and so those higher frequency snare and kick hits are more realistic to the sound you're after. As far as the shuffles go, I usually work by cutting a 4 hit shuffle out of a break and then sitting it in with other single drum hits and loops either by slicing it into indivdual hits and quantising or by turning it into a rex file etc. I find I get better results by cutting a shuffle out of a break and using that rather than trying to write my own shuffle as its pretty hard to get the velocity of the hits sounding realistic

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

15-03-2009 12:35 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

yeah pretty much agree with what BH has said. to get a nice prominent shuffle i normally have some hats programmed to play a shuffle and then re-arrange several hi passed breaks all complimenting the same shuffle so its more defined. using ghost hits (eg ghost snares) can help define these even more

__

15-03-2009 13:59 Homepage of Ketz
padders
Tourist

Thanks for the tips seem to be getting somewhere now! Drummer
16-03-2009 19:11
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Jungle breaks and shuffle.