drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Punchy kicks and snares,4 god's sake,HOW ?
Go to the bottom of this page Punchy kicks and snares,4 god's sake,HOW ?
Author

Registration Date: 24-02-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i got this info from another dnb forum

Так как меня собираютьс&#110
3; издать breed 12 inches и дали доступ к теме the studio на liftedmusic.co.uk, буду кидать сюда всякое интересное оттуд&#1072Wink

alright I'm feeling generous today & I think this forum needs some pro advice again.

ok layering:

every different layer fills another frequency part

LO

first of, you want to start with the 'body' / 'low end'
this is the backbone of the snare that you can feel in your belly.

find a very solid snare for this that peeks around 150 / 200 hz

( EDIT: you can even use a TOM for this )

unless the snare is already 100 % perfect you wanna lowpass it around 300 hz cos you only need this for the low end.

you also have to TUNE it to the rest of the song.

really important, if the snare is not in tune, it sounds totaly out of place & false, just like any other instrument.

MID

then, you want to look for the layer that 'defines' the snare character. if you want a metal sounding snare, look for a 'tonal' or 'clangy' snare.
if you want a Neuro snare, look for a more woody sounding snare.
( just an example. )
you can also use claps & tr909 ish snares to fill this area.

remember, this is not for the punch, this is just for the main 'character' of the snare, & you only keep that small frequency area that has that attribute.

You want to remove all the low end from 300 / 500 hz to keep space for the body snare, but you also may want to remove some hi end.

HI

NOW, it's time for the big sizzling splash on top.

search for a snare that has that quality, or use a hihat or crash.

hipass this around 1000 hz so it wont interfere with the other layers.

these are the 3 MAIN layers.

if you're new to layering, your layering will be SHIT & often you'll be using ALOT more layers ( I know cos I learned the hard way ) but the better you become at picking out the right sounds, the less layers you'll use & you will stick to these 3 main layers.
so keep practicing & you will soon get a feeling for it!

Now, it's time to compress your snare to fuck so it won't clip.

attack should be as fast as posible & release around 50 ms

ratio around 1 : 2 / 1 : 4

not too extreme, cos you only want to shape the snare, not limit it

then play around with the treshold & in gain. & make sure the outgoing signal peaks exactly at 0 db & NOT ABOVE!!

once you got that done you can turn the attack to somewhere between 5 ms & 15 ms, just enough to let the 'click' thru.

that's right, you're clipping the snare rightnow, but it clips so short that you won't hear it.

trow a softclipper / very fast limiter on top of this so it won't clip in the master.

that's about it, ...wether you want Current Value snares, Limewax snares, Subfocus snares, it's all the same principle.

good luck. :twothumbs
18-03-2009 21:17
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Urn

3; издать breed 12 inches и дали доступ к теме the studio на liftedmusic.co.uk, буду кидать сюда всякое интересное оттуд&#1072Wink

alright I'm feeling generous today & I think this forum needs some pro advice again.

ok layering:

every different layer fills another frequency part

LO

first of, you want to start with the 'body' / 'low end'
this is the backbone of the snare that you can feel in your belly.

find a very solid snare for this that peeks around 150 / 200 hz

( EDIT: you can even use a TOM for this )

unless the snare is already 100 % perfect you wanna lowpass it around 300 hz cos you only need this for the low end.

you also have to TUNE it to the rest of the song.

really important, if the snare is not in tune, it sounds totaly out of place & false, just like any other instrument.

MID

then, you want to look for the layer that 'defines' the snare character. if you want a metal sounding snare, look for a 'tonal' or 'clangy' snare.
if you want a Neuro snare, look for a more woody sounding snare.
( just an example. )
you can also use claps & tr909 ish snares to fill this area.

remember, this is not for the punch, this is just for the main 'character' of the snare, & you only keep that small frequency area that has that attribute.

You want to remove all the low end from 300 / 500 hz to keep space for the body snare, but you also may want to remove some hi end.

HI

NOW, it's time for the big sizzling splash on top.

search for a snare that has that quality, or use a hihat or crash.

hipass this around 1000 hz so it wont interfere with the other layers.

these are the 3 MAIN layers.

if you're new to layering, your layering will be SHIT & often you'll be using ALOT more layers ( I know cos I learned the hard way ) but the better you become at picking out the right sounds, the less layers you'll use & you will stick to these 3 main layers.
so keep practicing & you will soon get a feeling for it!

Now, it's time to compress your snare to fuck so it won't clip.

attack should be as fast as posible & release around 50 ms

ratio around 1 : 2 / 1 : 4

not too extreme, cos you only want to shape the snare, not limit it

then play around with the treshold & in gain. & make sure the outgoing signal peaks exactly at 0 db & NOT ABOVE!!

once you got that done you can turn the attack to somewhere between 5 ms & 15 ms, just enough to let the 'click' thru.

that's right, you're clipping the snare rightnow, but it clips so short that you won't hear it.

trow a softclipper / very fast limiter on top of this so it won't clip in the master.

that's about it, ...wether you want Current Value snares, Limewax snares, Subfocus snares, it's all the same principle.

good luck. :twothumbs

good look with tuning ur snare to a minor hahaha apart from that good tips

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by demure: 19-03-2009 09:09.

19-03-2009 09:08
Acoustiks Acoustiks is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2700.gif

Registration Date: 28-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

You set your bassdrum to 100hz and you snare to 200hz, layer countless effects and samples on one another.

Layer a minimum of 7 times. Process a minimum of 5 times.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Acoustiks: 28-03-2009 23:52.

28-03-2009 23:52
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Acoustiks
You set your bassdrum to 100hz and you snare to 200hz, layer countless effects and samples on one another.

You for real?
Is there a secret formula of which I have no clue? Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
29-03-2009 03:47 Homepage of Muad'Dib
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by Urn

Erm... Huh Isn't this the blueprint for a flux capaciter?

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
29-03-2009 04:07
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

processing should be determined by the material being prcessed its not a calculated theory imo if it was wed all be the next subfocus/calyx Big Grin
29-03-2009 04:34
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

i wouldn't say theres a set formula, it all depends on what kind of beat u are going for, yes it can range from many subtle layers to a simple minimal beat with just a couple breaks Wink (eg liquid tunes don't need a full on heavy beat, a subtle live feel works much better with that style)

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 29-03-2009 14:24.

29-03-2009 14:22 Homepage of Ketz
Acoustiks Acoustiks is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2700.gif

Registration Date: 28-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by Acoustiks

You for real?
Is there a secret formula of which I have no clue? Big Grin

Forizzle my nizzle! Don't forget to have a dirty bassline and drumbeat the repeats through the whole song. Remember, repetitiveness is key. Also, listen to dnb and nothing else. The best influences come form only dnb. Listening to other music is for squares. Lastly, creativity is a work you must not have in your dictionary. Wink
29-03-2009 22:53
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Layer the first bit from a tom drum onto your kick and snare to make them more snappy. Use 2 different tom hits and tune them in such a way that they blend into the kick/snare. Use only a very tiny bit though, just the absolute beginning.

The same effect can also be reached by layering the start of a snappy kick onto a full sounding kick (and ditto on snares).

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
30-03-2009 12:11 Homepage of BattleDrone
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Layer the first bit from a tom drum onto your kick and snare to make them more snappy. Use 2 different tom hits and tune them in such a way that they blend into the kick/snare. Use only a very tiny bit though, just the absolute beginning.

The same effect can also be reached by layering the start of a snappy kick onto a full sounding kick (and ditto on snares).

nice tip
30-03-2009 17:36
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Punchy kicks and snares,4 god's sake,HOW ?