drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » Loudness War
Go to the bottom of this page Loudness War
Author
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

STOP GOING OFF POST!

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

28-02-2009 06:21 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
you don't need 8 speakers to emulate surround sound, you only need 2 speakers to mimic complete 360 surround sound. BOSE.

Yeah, but you need a special room for that. With 8 speakers (or at least 4) you can have whatever room which has enough space to put them all about and on enough distance.

It can be emulated on headphones too AFAIK they have 2 speakers.

Yeah, I know, but they are too close to you, not affected by room shape, reverb etc.

actually it's that very reason that headphones work better to emulate surround, because it basically mimics the way audio is processed by your earlobes themselves. all those bumps and ridges and what not help you define the direction of audio. not just from left right back and front, but up and down as well.

so with headphones it's purely that and sound as true as if it was real, generally. it's used in video games all the time.

also with 8 speakers, i mean, that's like 6 more then most clubs. that's means 3 more stereo amps, and 6 more speakers. that's not cheap.

oh and hears the best part, with more speakers you get MORE CANCELLATIONS. that means some spots will have dead zones. you'd have spots int he middle of the room, playing a dub song, and there would be NO sub, AT ALL. this is assuming you run the bass out of each speaker. surround sound is meant for you to be in the MIDDLE of the speakers.

it fucks up if you're not. with only 2 speakers you get a lot less interference generally. even then, if you've ever tried to mix with 2 loudspeakers, or 2 line arrays, you ave to walk around and listen to get a better average of the room.

no i would not ever want to mix with a speaker on every wall and corner. oh god there's another problem, you'd have to put the speakers not in the corners but beside them, so there's be almost no wall space...

all those 5.1 mixes are meant for at home easy listening, not jungle rave parties, where you give them 3 more speakers to trash.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

28-02-2009 06:59 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
quote:
you don't need 8 speakers to emulate surround sound, you only need 2 speakers to mimic complete 360 surround sound. BOSE.

Yeah, but you need a special room for that. With 8 speakers (or at least 4) you can have whatever room which has enough space to put them all about and on enough distance.

It can be emulated on headphones too AFAIK they have 2 speakers.

Yeah, I know, but they are too close to you, not affected by room shape, reverb etc.

actually it's that very reason that headphones work better to emulate surround, because it basically mimics the way audio is processed by your earlobes themselves. all those bumps and ridges and what not help you define the direction of audio. not just from left right back and front, but up and down as well.

so with headphones it's purely that and sound as true as if it was real, generally. it's used in video games all the time.

also with 8 speakers, i mean, that's like 6 more then most clubs. that's means 3 more stereo amps, and 6 more speakers. that's not cheap.

oh and hears the best part, with more speakers you get MORE CANCELLATIONS. that means some spots will have dead zones. you'd have spots int he middle of the room, playing a dub song, and there would be NO sub, AT ALL. this is assuming you run the bass out of each speaker. surround sound is meant for you to be in the MIDDLE of the speakers.

it fucks up if you're not. with only 2 speakers you get a lot less interference generally. even then, if you've ever tried to mix with 2 loudspeakers, or 2 line arrays, you ave to walk around and listen to get a better average of the room.

no i would not ever want to mix with a speaker on every wall and corner. oh god there's another problem, you'd have to put the speakers not in the corners but beside them, so there's be almost no wall space...

all those 5.1 mixes are meant for at home easy listening, not jungle rave parties, where you give them 3 more speakers to trash.

I agree on everything with you except that surround mixing is not for jungle parties. It can be done, but I guess not in that way. Cancellation and loud spots are a big problem, yeah. It is nearly impossible to set up all those speakers just right so that you can hear the 3d space from everywhere.

Maybe the only solution will be this:
everyone to carry their own WiFi headphones, with a position and direction detector, so that a software can play suitable 3D surround sound information based on your position and direction.
Not a big chance that this will happen, though.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-03-2009 16:20 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by CULTURE BOY
STOP GOING OFF POST!

Sorry mate, promise to get back on the real subject Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-03-2009 16:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:

I was talking to my lecturer today, and apparently its not the pinna specifically that helps you determine if something is behind or in front or up or down, and that we can only really hear left and right.

The whole pinna causing little phases and filtering to help you determine that sorta thing only works if your brain is so familiar with a sound that it is able to determine how it would sound coming from behind you for example.
He said the real reason we can 'instantly' tell is that we instinctively cock our head to get a different perspective (all it takes it moving a few degrees to pinpoint where it's coming from)

Also we'd be going into acoustic memory stuff here, for example if we hear a helicopter we know it's most likely above us through life experience, and would need to move our head slightly to determing exactly from where (providing the sound wasn't bouncing off buildings and whatnot)

He's a jolly interesting man my lecturer Big Grin

__
My Myspace
05-03-2009 23:09
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by PLaGuE CeLL
quote:

I was talking to my lecturer today, and apparently its not the pinna specifically that helps you determine if something is behind or in front or up or down, and that we can only really hear left and right.

The whole pinna causing little phases and filtering to help you determine that sorta thing only works if your brain is so familiar with a sound that it is able to determine how it would sound coming from behind you for example.
He said the real reason we can 'instantly' tell is that we instinctively cock our head to get a different perspective (all it takes it moving a few degrees to pinpoint where it's coming from)

Also we'd be going into acoustic memory stuff here, for example if we hear a helicopter we know it's most likely above us through life experience, and would need to move our head slightly to determing exactly from where (providing the sound wasn't bouncing off buildings and whatnot)

He's a jolly interesting man my lecturer Big Grin

the pinna and all that other ridges and bumps, only help with a certain frequency of sound, but even with headphones on playing DOOM, you can tell direction by turning left to right. there's nothing fancy there, just directional sound.

but in the same example playing doom, you tell distance by level of volume, and direction by the panning. but you cannot tell if it's in front or behind. if something is behind it's muffled, because of your ears. the up and down works still on that principle, that when you face directly at something it's more clear.

and yea a lot of it is assumed, i mean direction of bass people can guess at where eminates from, based on that, evn though it's omnidirectional. you watch a movie see shit shaking earth cracks open and feel bass rumble, you assume it's the earth. you watch a star ship go by hear the engine rubmle, feel base, yuo assume it's the ship above.

but it's the sounds you don't see, that you hear, that you know where there coming from, that is more of a mindfuck. infact you'll hear it and not even notice it. when i was told this principles first i was playing GTA 3. I was on the third island, when i actual stopped and noticed that i could tell the sounds of traffic infront and behind me differently in my headphones, while running from the cops.

it was more then memory. even with my eyes closed and spinning , then took a listen as i turned, still with eyes closed, i could tell exactly if i was facing towards or away from the sound.

nice mindfucks, love em. I haven't had a chance to mess with above and below sounds in any other settings, but the same principles are suppose to apply. they can do it in movies, with just making the camera move a little bit and it would do the same thing, of how we locate sounds. even just subliminally. these are, in fact, all subliminal things, that every day people don't give a fuck about.

oh yeah, adn about ontopic, fucking turn it UP mother fucker, I AM ON A BOAT.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 31-03-2009 17:32.

31-03-2009 17:30 Homepage of Halph-Price
SPLICE

Registration Date: 05-04-2009

www.myspace.com/spliceuk

Does anyone have an opinion on the mastering or the quality?
05-04-2009 21:38
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

I think in sub-genres like liquid, texture of sound and dynamics of all of the elements are really important and enhance the atmosphere. Genres with emphasis on atmosphere etc. greatly benefit from dynamics and you can make the right parts stand out with compression, like the kick and the snare (the parts people will be bobbing there head to or whatever Big Grin ) while keeping the vibe of the track intact.

On the other hand, if you want a powerful fucking spank on the ass like with a Current Value tune, you want all the loudness you can get.

The difference would become very clear if you had a mix with a Commix tune next to Cybernetics VIP.. fortunately most mixes stay close to one genre of DnB, so as long as liquid doesn't start getting loud, I think we'll be okay.
06-09-2009 16:01
SafeandSound SafeandSound is a male
Cool Tourist

Registration Date: 19-10-2009

There is nothing inherently wrong with getting you masters loud, it's a choice
as valid as a choice of having lots of dynamics in a track.

There are trade off's though, if you are not sure exactly how to get maximum
loudness, retain punch and low end content you can sacrifice a lot for pure level.

Keeping punch is very important IMO.

__
masteringmastering.co.uk
19-10-2009 20:28
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Mastering » Loudness War