drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Eliminating PC noise whilst recording with a Mic.
Go to the bottom of this page Eliminating PC noise whilst recording with a Mic.
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Ok so here's my problem: I've a got condenser mic, with which I want to record my guitar. I'm recording straight on to my PC. I want to record both full songs and also licks for using in d&b tracks. The mic i'm using is pretty sensitive i"m finding that it's picking up a lot of the noise my PC makes.

I cant really move the mic out of the room, and if I did, my headphones wouldnt be long enough for me to be able to play along to my drum/click track and I'm not sure if shielding it will really do anything. So I'm guessing my only option is to try and soundproof my PC. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? will foam inside the case provide adequate sound damping or do I need to buy a silent fan?

In retrospect perhaps I should have bought a less sensitive mic for home use, but at the time i was recording to a digital multitrack in a practice room so it wasnt a problem but now it's really pisssing me off! Mad

any ideas?
25-02-2009 13:33
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

silent fan sounds like the best way to go mate
any insulation in and around ur pc will eventually lead to overheating they only cheap anyways mate
25-02-2009 14:15
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

if soundproofing isnt an option, get hold of some noise reduction tools you can use after its recorded. try waves xnoise, or izotope have recently released a noise reduction plug-in too. but you'd probably get better results by doing it before recording. a silent fan + good quality cabling are the way to go i reckon.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
25-02-2009 14:52 Homepage of Sephiroth
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah I have waves, but didnt really think about the noise reduction tool, it's quite a specific kind of noise though the sound of a PC, it's not like you would get with bad cables or with high volumes. My cables are ok, well better than your average hi-fi cables but still i'd like to get some audophile grade cables at some point. Still though I don't think they're gonna have a massive impact on this issue, so I guess i'm gonna have to get a silent fan.

How silent is a silent fan really though? Is it still going to be audible in a recording?

I'll guess really I should just get a headphone extension lead and go record in a cupboard Big Grin
25-02-2009 15:04
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

that is an option but i hope u got a big fuckin cupboard and yeah they are silent but i hear they can be a nightmare to fit
25-02-2009 15:20
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

yup that's the problem, I don't! I'm moving into a new flat in 3 weeks, and there's a possibility I could use the bedroom for recording but it'd be a nightmare to run the cables, then also be in one room to press record and quickly run to the other.......not good really. I'll have to try get a silent fan, but still I have a feeling it wont eliminate all the noise......
25-02-2009 15:31
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

it will but the problem will then be ur hd if its anything like mine lol
25-02-2009 15:38
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

crap ..... Crying
25-02-2009 15:45
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

looks like ur gettin in the cupboard afta all then bro this mite help though

demure has attached this image (reduced version):
yogini-contortion2-2-192558.jpg

25-02-2009 15:50
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

oh my god, there is SUCH an easier options. if the noise is constant, it could be an INDUSTRIAL SIZED JET ENGINE.

Using Adobe Audition or Cool Pro, these have a FANTASTIC tool called Noise Reduction. basically you take a profile of the noise, i.e. a recording of the "silence" or the "room tone" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_Tone).

It's not just your fan every room has noise, but a condenser mic would pick up the washing machine on the next floor.

So just capture a Noise Profile of the mic, in the specific position it's at, if you move it after it'll not work as easily. then you can remove that noise entirely from the recording, or just remove it a bit, depending on the Softness of the actual guitar recording.

The new Adobe Audition also has Adaptive Noise Reduction which can work for other noises. but a computer fan is great steady noise, that is not a problem to remove, and you can easily make your recording sound like it was done in a anechoic chamber.

or yea, spend a couple hundred on getting a quieter computer, sound proof padding in the case, quieter hard drive, quieter fans, liquid cooling processor, and the like.

but i could record with an air conditioner, and the only difference was you had to be louder then the noise, or you got weird "artifacts" near the noise floor of the air conditioner. but a computer fan and such, it's not even that bad, you can get GREAT recordings. all you need to do is just record some silence for the first few seconds of the track, and then analyze it and then remove it from the entire track. it's awesome.

there's a bunch of tutorials, this one is about a guitar with fans, so it should be good, i am not gunna bother watching it, but it should be fine.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 25-02-2009 16:52.

25-02-2009 16:50 Homepage of Halph-Price
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

that's awesome, thanks Halph. This seems like a much more effective way to deal with my noise issue.

I'll try making a noise profile of my room tone and see if i can successfully reduce it in Audition.

Sun
25-02-2009 21:44
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

just so you know, every time you move the mic you should do another one. but yea, you can save profiles too....

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

25-02-2009 21:45 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Tried putting a blanket over the computer? Just make sure it does not overheat.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
25-02-2009 22:09 Homepage of thechronic
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

just make a room out of a few sheets of drywall and secure the computer tower in there, like a closest. or put your mic int he next room. simple.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

25-02-2009 23:42 Homepage of Halph-Price
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

even if i manage to put the mic in another room, i'm probably still going to need to make a noise profile of that room and eliminate it. I don't mind a bit of general room noise when recording songs on guitar, I think it can add a bit of character to the recording. I have some albums that were recorded in bathroom, kitchen, garage etc but for recording licks for use in d&b, hip hop, breaks etc I want them as clean as possible. Building a room out of drywall might be a bit much, plus i'm not sure if my landlord would approve....i'll try the blanket idea too, along with some noise reduction ans see what happens. I'll see if I can post a recording when I'm done.
26-02-2009 09:39
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
oh my god, there is SUCH an easier options. if the noise is constant, it could be an INDUSTRIAL SIZED JET ENGINE.

Using Adobe Audition or Cool Pro, these have a FANTASTIC tool called Noise Reduction. basically you take a profile of the noise, i.e. a recording of the "silence" or the "room tone" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_Tone).

It's not just your fan every room has noise, but a condenser mic would pick up the washing machine on the next floor.

So just capture a Noise Profile of the mic, in the specific position it's at, if you move it after it'll not work as easily. then you can remove that noise entirely from the recording, or just remove it a bit, depending on the Softness of the actual guitar recording.

The new Adobe Audition also has Adaptive Noise Reduction which can work for other noises. but a computer fan is great steady noise, that is not a problem to remove, and you can easily make your recording sound like it was done in a anechoic chamber.

or yea, spend a couple hundred on getting a quieter computer, sound proof padding in the case, quieter hard drive, quieter fans, liquid cooling processor, and the like.

but i could record with an air conditioner, and the only difference was you had to be louder then the noise, or you got weird "artifacts" near the noise floor of the air conditioner. but a computer fan and such, it's not even that bad, you can get GREAT recordings. all you need to do is just record some silence for the first few seconds of the track, and then analyze it and then remove it from the entire track. it's awesome.

there's a bunch of tutorials, this one is about a guitar with fans, so it should be good, i am not gunna bother watching it, but it should be fine.

started messing about with this yesterday and it really is very good. Having recorded the noise profile and done a bit of tweaking I was able to COMPLETELY remove the noise of my PC. I just found that it muddied the recording of the guitar slightly (perhaps a bit more tweaking was required?) but a bit of EQ fixed it nicely.

Drummer
03-03-2009 11:10
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

it just removes noise, it doesn't cut the lawn.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

03-03-2009 15:39 Homepage of Halph-Price
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

indeed. Teeth
03-03-2009 15:51
DJ_Rx
Tourist

Registration Date: 07-05-2009

Hey mates, I need to point out that removing background noise will always reduce the quality of the recording and remove some of the upper harmonics and will dull up the sound. A good rule of the thumb is that you should try get as good as possible original recording and not seddle for "I´ll fix it in the mix". If your PC is making too much noise, buy one of these http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/169192.jpg and record the whole lot in a different room.
18-05-2009 08:59
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Eliminating PC noise whilst recording with a Mic.