drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Chords/music theory
Go to the bottom of this page Chords/music theory
Author
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2747.gif

Registration Date: 01-02-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.33

hi bros in da beat,
I think that it's possible to have almost monotony track, hear plastikman, hehe,but u gotta be great drummer!!! hh, when i'm making new message i make bass line, at least 2 tones which my ears like together, and then i use chord function in flstudio playlist and voila i got all tones that r harmonic to bass line so i can make more lines, generaly i think that if u make make monotony tracjk u r loosing rest of keyboard or pianoplayer notes in a track, sometimes when i start new song i find that i need more notes, hh..... good discussion anyway, good info

__
when I'm stoned I'm thinking in music ....

http://www.myspace.com/organic.live

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by organic.: 22-02-2009 15:11.

22-02-2009 15:11
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

I think it all depends on how melodic you want your track to be, obviously even when creatign something, twisted and minimal, keeping things in key, especially if it's a minor key, allows you to give a certain feel to your track. Before I knew any music theory, I was able to create respectable tracks by experimenting with different notes and listening to what sounded good to my ears only. and in fact it often happens that you create your basslines and 'melodies' in a key without even realising you've done so because your brain picks up what sounds good and also what sounds familiar. Unless your completely tone deaf of course Big Grin This used to happen to me a lot when I began to learn guitar, playing chord progressions i'd created with no music theory knowlege only to find out later that they were common progressions of popular key.

I think though that with taking the time to learn some music theory, you can really progress your music to another level. I don't necessarily mean knowing every major and minor scale, but the principle behind a musical scale, how a chord is built, modes etc. I find it really useful to keep a list of all the major and minor scales, with which chords are minor or major within each key on a piece of paper on my wall next to my PC so I have an instant reference to help my terrible memory. Smile

I don't think you can ever really have a truely monotone track, unless each element (bass, lead, pad etc) were all one and the same note......very unlikely. Even if it were two notes, it's more than likely that it will be two notes of a scale or if not then in its relative major or minor key. Music is built around scales and chords, no matter what you do, it's there. unless you compose noise music, like myself, where there is no musical scale or structure. but still every sound has a pitch and it will relate to a musical note, therefore some may consider it to still be musical Tongue
23-02-2009 11:11
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
I get what your saying. My question in the most basic form is:

Can you compose a tune with just single notes, and using no chords. (forget about notes in sequence being "chords")

: )

if you have more then one instrument then it's a chord when they both play together.

No, it is not. They have different timbres and different harmonics. What if they play the same note, that counts as a chord, too?
The rest of your response is quite good and motivating. Big Grin

same notes played at the same time is called a unison or perfect chord. it's just like if you played one note and the octave higher. the same note. but it has the STRONGEST resolve possible. no matter what chaotic scale it is, the tonic always resolves the tonic.

and different timbre instruments don't have as strong resonance of a chord, but they are still playing the same hz intervals a 440hz A NOTE on a violin is still a 440hz A NOTE on a guitar. assuming there perfectly tuned. but still you get what i mean.

western music is SO rich with chords, that is the reason we hear implied chords from two notes playing one after another

quote:
Chords are so well-established in Western music that sonorities of two pitches, or even monophonic melodies, are often interpreted by listeners (musicians and non-musicians alike) as "implying" chords. This psychoacoustic phenomenon occurs as a result of a lifetime of exposure to the conventional harmonies of music, with the result that the brain "supplies" the complete expected chord in its absence.

so i guess there's no way to escape the chord, is what this means. maybe in eastern muisc you could escape chordal music.

but if you're using 7 white keys and 5 black keys, there is no escape.

our instruments are MADE for chords. all of classical music was built for scales and chords, every instrument can be tuned to the same pitch so each instruments can build chords with an entire ORCHESTRA. to have hundreds of instruments play chords at the same time. it's hundreds of year old tradition.

i think it's interesting to think about it, because you could do a song where all the instruments play the same note at the time through the song, but music is not just about the same, but also about change. so to do that, just al the instruments playing the exact same notes, and then change it up at the drop, it would be a very stark contrast. I think i am going to do a track like that. and that is what music is. making a puzzle.

chords are useful in creating that. it's just all cool.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 23-02-2009 17:21.

23-02-2009 15:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Chords/music theory