drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » how to get a nice loud mix
Go to the bottom of this page how to get a nice loud mix
Author
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

tips, help n treats anyone knows of ?

been bugging me, is it possible to get a nice mix aswell as been loud as in comparrison with full release's that are out on vinyl?

or is this down purely to the final master by a pro?

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by CULTURE BOY: 18-02-2009 01:44.

18-02-2009 01:37 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Limiter and loudness maximiser at the master channel?
There is a default setting in the projects which includes such thing.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
18-02-2009 01:41 Homepage of Muad'Dib
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

iv tryed with them loads of times but there still no real gain

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

18-02-2009 01:45 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Try making all inputs to master channel quieter and then work with the loudness maximizer. It will give more space and dynamics to work on.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
18-02-2009 02:14 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

IL Maximizer VST ftw!
But don't overdo it because it ruins the sound when not applied correctly.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
18-02-2009 08:32 Homepage of BattleDrone
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
IL Maximizer VST ftw!
But don't overdo it because it ruins the sound when not applied correctly.

lol @ your sig Tongue

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

18-02-2009 09:20 Homepage of D2o
alternate force alternate force is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 23-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

ez , well i use reason and ableton 7 , and ever since i started to put a maximizer on my master i started to get a real better fuller sound and more of a realisic idea of how my track should sound , but defintely when a tune gets mastered theres a level indicater to show u how loud the track should be to every other tune thats released , if u havent got a mastering program , try to put the maximizer on to get the fuller sound , then when u render ur track , listen to other tunes , they will all come out the same level , set ur sound system to one level every time u want to get ur tracks to that level , then try to boost them to that level with a compresser and a maximizer, but dont put a compresser on ur track on ur master on ur program when writing ur tune , cause it will mess all the levels up , just on the rendered version , its not quite going to come out like a mastered version , but it could be close if u do it right Big Grin , hope this helps !!

by the way i use t-racks , wicked mastering program !!!

__
http://www.myspace.com/dubkinetik

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by alternate force: 18-02-2009 13:39.

18-02-2009 13:38
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

to get a fuller mix, you have to first learn to mix well. this is EQ and compression on almost everything. any instrument that plays notes or melodies gets compressed, the softer and quieter the element the more your should compress it. you can then turn the volume down after and it still says soft, but it will have a fuller sound. examples is like choirs or pads.
but once you then set all the levels and compress everything so it all sits on the master channel at coming near the peak but not over then, use your best mastering compressor, I have always endorsed Voxengo for their VST's in mastering.

set the mastering compressor to be very gentle, only a 3:1 ratio soft knee, and don't mkae the attack and release too fast.

then the mastering limiter, needs to be anything over 10:1 ratio with a faster attack, and the release can be fast, but this is where you'll notice pumping. if it's too fast you'll hear the volume pitch about, if it's too slow everything will be at the same volume too often.

but it's at the limiter you can add extra gain, you can increase the overall input to the point where you notice it's being compressed and then turn it down a bit from there, just a .5 of a dB.

so it comes down to the quality of the compressors. and pushing digital compressors sound usually sucks. and good quality compressors have a lot longer latency.

never mix the track with the limiters or compressors on there, since it squash all the sounds together it really can warp what you hear.

the most important part, when you're setting the input to the limiter, to bring up the overall gain, ONLY do it at the loudest part for your song, usually the Drop/Chorus. if you notice the compression here the song would be ruined. and if it sounds fine on the drop the buildup/verses should be quieter, and will sound fine.

I hope this helps, but I just would rather advocate good mixing, and then learning how to hear compression, then to tell you get one of thoes so called "mastering" plug-ins that are just multiband comrpessors and make you think that you don't need to mix, and use any compressors on any track.

to get a pro sound you need to learn pro techniques. unless you're just throwing together a demo, and don't care about quality, you shouldn't use Ozone.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 18-02-2009 15:43.

18-02-2009 15:37 Homepage of Halph-Price
KZSS
Producer

Registration Date: 23-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

These suggestions are just based on how i work in FL studio.

I personally swear by the Soundgoodizer and fruity limiter in combo (I dont use compression on the master)
I have made presets in both that I know from experience work well so you might have to trial and error for a while.

BUT !!! I'm going to disagree with halph price and alternate and say:
If you are going to use them apply them to your master before you start working on the tune. ( I'm not saying this is a rule for everyone but it's a rule i think applies to Fl Studio which this forum section is about)

From reading the Noisia Q&A on DOA they suggest working like this aswell.

If you get your master boosted before hand then you can mixdown as you go which i personally think is the only way to go about it.

If you finish your tune, render it and then apply the mastering plugins etc it will pretty much put you back at square one as far as your mixdown goes .
If you apply the fx to a rendered version and then realise that some of your sounds react badly to the settings what then ?? You could end up doing about 50 rederings. I'm not saying it shouldnt be hard work to make tunes but that's just making it overly hard for yourself if you dont fully understand the correct use of compression etc.

Hope this helps

__
KZSS

www.myspace.com/kzss

www.myspace.com/mindsaw

www.myspace.com/ammunitionrecordings

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by KZSS: 19-03-2009 04:36.

19-03-2009 04:34 Homepage of KZSS
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

ozone 4 i found if u get all ur instruments sitting nicely together apply that u can push it really hard without colouring the sound too bad i read somewhere too that some people export their tracks without any clipping, normalise then master
19-03-2009 08:06
SolidSnake SolidSnake is a male

images/avatars/avatar-2843.jpg

Registration Date: 12-06-2009

quote:
Originally posted by KZSS
These suggestions are just based on how i work in FL studio.

I personally swear by the Soundgoodizer and fruity limiter in combo (I dont use compression on the master)
I have made presets in both that I know from experience work well so you might have to trial and error for a while.

BUT !!! I'm going to disagree with halph price and alternate and say:
If you are going to use them apply them to your master before you start working on the tune. ( I'm not saying this is a rule for everyone but it's a rule i think applies to Fl Studio which this forum section is about)

From reading the Noisia Q&A on DOA they suggest working like this aswell.

If you get your master boosted before hand then you can mixdown as you go which i personally think is the only way to go about it.

If you finish your tune, render it and then apply the mastering plugins etc it will pretty much put you back at square one as far as your mixdown goes .
If you apply the fx to a rendered version and then realise that some of your sounds react badly to the settings what then ?? You could end up doing about 50 rederings. I'm not saying it shouldnt be hard work to make tunes but that's just making it overly hard for yourself if you dont fully understand the correct use of compression etc.

Hope this helps

I also swear by the soundgoodizer, it makes anything sound fat!
I never thought to use in with a limiter though, I'll give this a try. Smile
12-06-2009 22:39
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

i would never have used soundgoodiezer, but that first setting is the only one i like. makes all electro/house shit sound BANGING.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-06-2009 01:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
wrm
orchestral/idm/deep/liquid/experi/mental

images/avatars/avatar-2659.jpg

Registration Date: 13-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I never use compresor on the main channel. What I do to make sure the mix is fine is this: when the track is finnished I put a Ozone 3 vst on the main channel. I check the output level and if it is peaking around +6db then its well mixed. I mean its on the right volume level of course. Also try to load the track to Traktor DJ studio and analyze it. What Traktor does is it checks the average volume in the track and compares it with its algorithm. Then it aplies a db correction so its always in the same level - in other words, if u have 2 tracks, both mixed differently, Traktor makes volume correction to both tracks so they sound equaly loud. So if you analyze the track and the correction is +- 1db max its OK. If it has to do correction greater then 1db you should try to boost your main channel a bit. I never boost the main channel by aplying compressors or maximizer or whatever. I always boost all other channels insted (channel with bass, breaks, hihats, pads...everything I have in the track).

cheers

__
___ Visit MYspace ___
17-06-2009 23:36 Homepage of wrm
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Too help get a nice loud mix with less final limiting at the end i find lots of subtle side chaining all through the mix really helps.

Like ducking any sound around the 100-200Hz with the kick and any more mid range sounds with the snare etc.
and ducking the highhats/rides with the snare so the crisp top end of the snare snaps through.

Not so its noticeable, just about -3dB or so of ducking. This means that there'll be less build up of these frequencies therefore the final output can be pushed up before clipping occurs.

I know you many would argue that this sort of stuff should be done with eq and good sound choices as top not get frequency clashes but if you get your mix sounding tight with just eq then ass some of this subtle side chaining on top not only does this help you get a nice loud mix it really helps define certain sounds within a mix just the little bit more.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

18-06-2009 00:12 Homepage of D2o
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » how to get a nice loud mix