drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » parallel eqing
Go to the bottom of this page parallel eqing
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

word.

I love parallel compression. When I first used it, i wrote down all these settings to use on the compressor etc, but now i just use my ears...

I was told to eq the compressed signal a bit also, notably to push up a little around 100 and a bit around 5k. I have recently stopped doing this, as I dont really see the point, I sometimes do it just for the hell of it but can anyone give a good reason to do this? as i say i cant really tell much of a difference, but maybe it brings out the compressed signal a bit more?

thanks.

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
31-01-2009 13:30
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I don’t really get it. All sound you compress is different, so a rule saying that you should always boost several frequencies after compressing any signal is quite weird. Why boost 5 k when you compress a sub?

Otherwise, equing a compressed sound is essential as the compressor often has an impact on eq. If you cannot figure out how to get it sound right by fiddling around with the compressors settings, sure, why not apply eq on the compressed signal to get back some highs or lows.

Maybe I understood you wrong, but I don’t see no point in boosting always specific frequencies like 100 herz and 5 k on any compressed signal either.
31-01-2009 14:13 Homepage of Gregg
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

If you hear no difference, there's no point in doing it. If you hear no difference, it would be better not to do it even...

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
31-01-2009 16:01 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

yea, it really depends on what you're eqing. for a guitar that would be a bad spot to eq. on drums maybe good, meh.

generally you should just be taking away with EQ. you keep all the good sounds preserved, and then EQ out all the horrible other freq. i would only boost a freq if it was easier then reducing everything.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 31-01-2009 16:23.

31-01-2009 16:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » parallel eqing