Go to the bottom of this page Travelling
Author
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

Just thought I'd split this off from the other topic -

So how many people have been travelling for extended periods of time?

or what interesting places have you been to?

Where do you want to go?

Personally, I did a big Europe trip in 2006 for 6 months. Went to the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Poland, Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, Slovenia, Slovakia, Luxembourg, Hungary. I did it in VW camper and absolutely loved every second of it. Would do it again in a heartbeat if I could afford it Smile well actually I think I'd hostel it second time round, I did a bit over xmas 2007, back to some places I didnt get too visit last time round and it's an awesome vibe and pretty much constant party Big Grin

Also lived in Bratislava for 3 months this summer (wife is Slovak) which was awesome, and the first time I was abroad in one place for that length of time. It was so refreshing to be out of the UK and live somewhere new. I had to learn to speak the language pretty quick too as her family don't speak any English. Tongue

I'd love to go Peru, Vietnam, Canada, Guatemala, Belize, Indonesia, Japan, China.....the list is endless... unfortunately i'm just dreaming about these Frown

More realistically, I'm going to go over to ireland sometime as I can get cheap flights from Edinburgh and next time we go to Bratislava I think I'm going to take a little trip & check out Bosnia-Hercegovinia, Serbia and croatia or Ukraine and Romania.
29-01-2009 13:29
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

nice one !

I love travelling too , since i was young i always went on winter and summer vacation in europe. Now i realy want to extend my horizons again by myself. I did some nice travels up till now , but not realy that extended cause i had other obligations like school , but now that i'm graduated im in the mood for travelling again. + music can get u to exicting places aswel Smile it became part of my lifestyle , i couldnt live without music and travel.

its just a hard nut to combine it with a job and living , i dont know how i will do it in the nearby future as i need the money flowing and a roof over my head .

some interesting sites for all you travellers,backpackers and hippies Big Grin

http://www.couchsurfing.com
http://www.wwoof.org/
http://www.workaway.info/

and a blog of a friend of me traveling alot (constant ?) around the world , doing alot of volunteerwork , wwoof'ing , working a temporary job back in belgium or just busking and hitching around while performing single or in his band (artist):

http://stevendepoorter.blogspot.com/
www.myspace.com/stevendepoorter
29-01-2009 14:09
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Yeah i think not travelling is one of people's biggest regrets when they get older or old lol. I've only just started to travel to places but never for long periods at a time, man that would be excellent! Its a matter of time and money, fortunately my job allows me to take a career break for up to a year, so with the money maybe i could visit some of the places I've always wanted to.

I've been to Africa, Prague, Poland, Spain, France, oh and the Isle Of Wight... lol (c'mon it has a law unto its own)

My wife is Polish and i spent xmas and new year '08 over there. Man there are some truly beautiful sights to be seen, things that you just have to see for yourself, she comes from a small town in the south that's tucked away a real place of secluded beauty. We're thinking of doing a round trip of the country one day. I learning to drive at the moment so maybe thats also a possibility one day. I totally know about learning the language man, been there, polish is not easy to learn, its similar to Slovak so I'm guessing thats not easy.

There no better way to learnt he language of a country by going there and emersing yourself in the culture (Bruce Parry Style) and you soon pick things up, people prompt you, body language is a massive tool even when used subtly i think.

Anyway back on topic, travelling is something that should be done without a doubt in my mind, certainly before settling down and starting a family, gathering great stories and knowledge to pass on the your children is priceless!

Also never take someone's word for how good or bad a country is! Go there yourself and make up your own mind, you'll often be pleasantly surprised!

__
My Sounds
29-01-2009 14:40
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Yawn
More realistically, I'm going to go over to ireland sometime as I can get cheap flights from Edinburgh and next time we go to Bratislava I think I'm going to take a little trip & check out Bosnia-Hercegovinia, Serbia and croatia or Ukraine and Romania.

Hey, check out Macedonia too, if you will Wink

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
29-01-2009 14:41 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Glim
Yeah i think not travelling is one of people's biggest regrets when they get older or old lol. I've only just started to travel to places but never for long periods at a time, man that would be excellent! Its a matter of time and money, fortunately my job allows me to take a career break for up to a year, so with the money maybe i could visit some of the places I've always wanted to.

I've been to Africa, Prague, Poland, Spain, France, oh and the Isle Of Wight... lol (c'mon it has a law unto its own)

My wife is Polish and i spent xmas and new year '08 over there. Man there are some truly beautiful sights to be seen, things that you just have to see for yourself, she comes from a small town in the south that's tucked away a real place of secluded beauty. We're thinking of doing a round trip of the country one day. I learning to drive at the moment so maybe thats also a possibility one day. I totally know about learning the language man, been there, polish is not easy to learn, its similar to Slovak so I'm guessing thats not easy.

There no better way to learnt he language of a country by going there and emersing yourself in the culture (Bruce Parry Style) and you soon pick things up, people prompt you, body language is a massive tool even when used subtly i think.

Anyway back on topic, travelling is something that should be done without a doubt in my mind, certainly before settling down and starting a family, gathering great stories and knowledge to pass on the your children is priceless!

Also never take someone's word for how good or bad a country is! Go there yourself and make up your own mind, you'll often be pleasantly surprised!

Definitely man, although I think once you get bitten by the travel bug, you'll be doing it forever. I actually met an older couple, in their sixties, who had just come back from backpacking around india and were then driving a camper around Europe. I thought i was awesome and they were really nice people. I also met a couple doing the same as me, with a baby so I think no matter your circumstances you can always find the time to travel Smile We're actually expecting a baby also, and we're still planning to do a bit of travelling after my wife finishes uni and before the child starts school. I think it's totally do-able and would be an amazing experience for both s and the child. But yeah ultimately it all comes down to money at some point and at the moment it's not possible for me to go anywhere exotic, but the way I think about it is that I've got my whole life ahead of me to do what I want, and I don't think of marriage, children or age as barrier to doing what you want.

I've been to southern Poland - Zakopane and Krakow and driven from there into Slovakia and I thought the scenery was beautiful, especially the in the High Tatras. I think the only way to really learn the language properly is to immerse yourself in the culture fully, listening to people talking, watching tv, listening to radio, music etc and being forced into speaking it.(well for us English anyway). I've personally found it hard to study the language more since we've got back, although now I have the foundations it is somewhat easier then before I went there. Slavic languages are quite hard for native English speakers, because of the quite extreme grammatical differences. Grammatical gender and grammatical cases are particularly hard as we don't have these in English, well not much anyway. Polish is very similar to Slovak, and in fact I'm beginning to understand conversations in Polish when I hear them in the street, shop etc (we live in a very polish populated area).

The Isle of Wight ROFL Drummer what a rockin place, been there on more than a few occasions in my time.........
29-01-2009 15:47
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by Yawn

Hey, check out Macedonia too, if you will Wink

If I can I will! Smile
29-01-2009 15:49
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Travelling