drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Basslines in FL8
Go to the bottom of this page Basslines in FL8
Author

Registration Date: 28-01-2009

Okay, i just got into DnB production scene (and this website) and i'm in real need of some professional help. My issue lies in the construction of the basslines. i've tried using the 3xosc, predator, and some other VSTs to try and recreate that wobble on the basslines. Listen to Running by Chase and Status. The bassline is brilliant on that track.

I'm still learning but its hard to find a tutorial or even a book on this stuff. I can't figure out how the LFO works with the OSC and all the other knobs and shit (can you tell im a noob? lol). I've tried changing all the parameters and knobs that i can see and still nothing. lol I'm in desperate need of some help. Let me know if you need any info from me and i'll be glad to oblige. You can also hit me up on AIM or MSN.

Please and Thank you! Happy
29-01-2009 08:35
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I think you won’t need tutorials to get going with the 3xosc, it really can be done by experimenting and playing around.

If you need tips as far as sound creation with it is concerned browse through the forum and search for wobble or whatever bass sound. There must be quite a lot threads.

If you want to get LFO movement with the 3xosc go to its instrument properties (ins) and choose as LFO target the cut. Go down to the LFO and edit it, choose your desired predelay, attack and speed. Don’t forget to set the amount (how strong the LFO has an impact on the initial sound) otherwise you’ll hear nothing. And choose a sound that has some harmonics to it.

Check this thread some basic knowledge:

FAQ / Knowledge Base (lots of links to production related information)

Keep it up!
29-01-2009 10:27 Homepage of Gregg
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

play with the lfo filters Big Grin

__

29-01-2009 13:59 Homepage of Ketz
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

To get even close to the bass-sound in Running, you also have to play with the volume and resonance knobs/envelopes in 3xOsc.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
29-01-2009 14:30 Homepage of Puzzle
neo211 neo211 is a male

dudes! ty so much! Gregg you're the man. you were able to write that in a way that even a noob like me can understand lol. This just became my new favorite website. Big Grin

I'll be back later to update.

Drummer
29-01-2009 18:59
KZSS
Producer

Registration Date: 23-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Not sure if this is common knowledge but the sound in both eastern jam and running is just one of the Brutal electro patches in Massive with a bit of tweaking so that the different notes have different lfo rates.

Ta da !

Adam KZSS

__
KZSS

www.myspace.com/kzss

www.myspace.com/mindsaw

www.myspace.com/ammunitionrecordings
31-01-2009 22:07 Homepage of KZSS
organic.
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2747.gif

Registration Date: 01-02-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.33

it' s not all about just LFO's, u can also link some knobs to cut, res etc. .. of synth u work in and record that change in time that creates the drumandbass bass Smile

__
when I'm stoned I'm thinking in music ....

http://www.myspace.com/organic.live

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by organic.: 01-02-2009 04:10.

01-02-2009 04:09
neo211 neo211 is a male

thnx for the great info guys. i haven't found the right sound for my bassline just yet but im getting close. all the tips are really helpful so keep them coming if you think of new ones. lol

i was talking to a friend of mine who is a DnB DJ and has dabbled in production. I asked him what he thought was the best program for producing DnB and he said Reason. do most of y'all agree? what program do you guys think is better?
01-02-2009 09:08
organic.
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2747.gif

Registration Date: 01-02-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 2.33

I dont know what's best but I'm working in Fruity loops studio and I'm quiet satisfied, FLS rulezzz!!! Smile

__
when I'm stoned I'm thinking in music ....

http://www.myspace.com/organic.live

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by organic.: 02-02-2009 02:41.

01-02-2009 13:46
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by neo211
thnx for the great info guys. i haven't found the right sound for my bassline just yet but im getting close. all the tips are really helpful so keep them coming if you think of new ones. lol

i was talking to a friend of mine who is a DnB DJ and has dabbled in production. I asked him what he thought was the best program for producing DnB and he said Reason. do most of y'all agree? what program do you guys think is better?

Again, it is not the program, it is the person behind it. Bigup

I may be lame, but I sense another endless discussion on the subject ROFL

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
01-02-2009 15:34 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

The program doesn’t make the music, it’s the producer that does so there is not really a BEST.

Download some trials and check out your possibilities and go for the one you like most, may it be the way FL, Reason, Cubase, Ableton… works. Good dnb can be made with all of em!
They all have diverse tools and the sequencing works a bit different but at the end of the day it’s up to you. You can only find out what’s the best for yourself (for your workflow aso) and if you haven’t made that decision yet, just go try as I said.

If you are really new to production, FL isn’t a bad choice as t is very beginner friendly. And if you once got the basics with it and you want to swap the DAW it will be a lot easier. The ways of doing it might differ, but not fundamentally.

Good luck!
01-02-2009 15:36 Homepage of Gregg
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

damn it, you were faster ! Devil

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Gregg: 01-02-2009 15:39.

01-02-2009 15:38 Homepage of Gregg
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
Originally posted by neo211

i dunno have you tried Reason, it seems ot make pros outta noobs.

Halph-Price has attached this image (reduced version):
29447115.jpeg

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 01-02-2009 15:46.

01-02-2009 15:45 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Basslines in FL8