drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Studio room (sort of hardware, right?)
Go to the bottom of this page Studio room (sort of hardware, right?)
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

My gf and I are going to build a house. Of course a seprate room will be dedicated to producing.

I was wondering if any of you have any pointers as to what is best for such a room when it comes to the material for walls, floors, ceiling and of course insulation for sound.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-01-2009 18:02 Homepage of Surya
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

BRICKS N MORTER? Huh

dunno really man, insulation foam seems the way forward as many pros have the tiles all over the studio's

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

27-01-2009 19:36 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

eat shitloads of eggs and keep the boxes..

lol

__
My Sounds
27-01-2009 20:31
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Taken from the Alix Perez and Sabre Q&A on DOA

This is what was suggested to treat an existing room, I guess if you're building from scratch you might be able to incorporate some of it as you go???? -

"Strip the room down, removing all framing from doors and windows so they are flush with the walls.

-Lay down thick rubber under-screed on the floor, on top of that 2 layers of acoustic membrane, above that tongue-n-groove chipboard flooring (leaving 2cm sill at the edge of the room so that it isn’t touching the original walls at all)
- Attach new studs to the original wall using a small steel brace to cause an air gap (600mm apart from each other), and also to the ceiling. Fill the gaps between studs with mineral wool (in this case 100mm thick, 60 kg/m3). Attach Plasterboard to studs using a second layer of steel bracing.

- Cover the plasterboard with a really thin layer of acoustic foam, then cover the foam with a porous fabric, I use fire treated hessian, same properties as Cara but much much cheaper.

-Got some secondary glazing fitted to my exiting 19th century sash window, got the glass ordered at 6mm thick to maximise the proofing.

-Bevel the door, embed a rubber a seal, extra hinges (to support the weight of the sound proofing) and then fit more minerl wool to the inside of the door"..

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

27-01-2009 20:36 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

what you need is anti-gravity lead room. like a vault. floating, 5 feet from each other room.

and an H-VAC air conditioning system on springs with giant ducts for low air flow.

also i have been told my world famous guys that the best sound proofing, is not that stupid egg cartons but just plain dry wall. you double or triple, or as much as you can, just need to make sure that each one is SECURE against each other, because if not you get a bad rattle.

for the padding beneath the floor, people say rubber, some think hockey pucks work, but the rubber is too hard. to be honest there's a special type of rubber i do not know the name up, looks like rubber pucks, but it needs to be placed evenly, and the floor boards done tight also.

the problem with having the gap between the walls and next room walls is resonance. since you'll be rocking the bass, any space in the walls is a spot for resonance, the wider the space the deeper it goes, so bigger is better, but also if you do not have the walls PERFECTLY parallel the entire wall it doesn't focus the entire resonance at the EXACT same frequency.

basically, if you changed each wall to be within a foot to foot and a half, it would even it out more. build the speakers flush into the wall isn't bad, if you got big speakers.

there's so much, i took a class in it and it's been forever ago. wish i could help you more.

the main thing i rembered for materials though for sound proofing, is just dry wall. mass is the only way to soundproof. so the more the better, maybe on the side towards the rest of the house double or triple i up.

anything else isn't sound proofing, just sound diffusing, and that's for INSIDE your room. i had a studio in my last place, couldn't hear shit because of the isolated room and dry wall.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 27-01-2009 22:21.

27-01-2009 22:02 Homepage of Halph-Price
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

building a house!? golden ratio, check it out, ensures minimum number of standing waves, modes etc etc

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
27-01-2009 22:50 Homepage of Sephiroth
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

soylent green is people

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

28-01-2009 01:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
phatheadz phatheadz is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2735.jpg

Registration Date: 28-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

celotex is good for the insulation on both walls and floor go (the thicker the better) at least that what she said
28-01-2009 02:44
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

lol thermal insulation, the webiste had a calculator on it and i thought it was an AKIA pad.

http://www.celotex.co.uk/

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

28-01-2009 03:12 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I've talked to an architect who seems to know something about that. He thinks we should have a "floating" structure inside the room, to make sure the vibrations don't get carried out all over the house.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

31-01-2009 18:23 Homepage of Surya
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

and vice versa.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

31-01-2009 18:31 Homepage of Halph-Price
napster55 napster55 is a male
Snitch And Chemist

images/avatars/avatar-2768.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
My gf and I are going to build a house. Of course a seprate room will be dedicated to producing.

I was wondering if any of you have any pointers as to what is best for such a room when it comes to the material for walls, floors, ceiling and of course insulation for sound.

hi there, i recently treated my studio.

check out the golden ratios, room modes. check out ethan winners site on acoustic perfect for help.

i recently treated my room with broadband absorbers and bass traps, real easy to do when DIY.
i used rockwool RW3 and RWA45 in the broadband absorbers, i really dont think foam is worth the money compared to the price of diy, foam is good but does not absorb below 100-200 i think, correct me if im wrong, i used the rockwool 4'' thick in the absorbers and super chunked the corners.
roughly cost me around £150 to treat the room good.
seeing as ur building a room you can get this right 1st off.
a good forum to help you is homerecording.com or gearslutz and go to studio construction parts and check out, register and ask there great over there. will help you alot.

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=535

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

__
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SNCDNB

-SNITCH-

-AIM - SNITCHDNB
-MSN- DUKES21_3@HOTMAIL.COM
21-12-2009 15:49 Homepage of napster55
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Studio room (sort of hardware, right?)