drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » Routing stuff
Go to the bottom of this page Routing stuff
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

I should have learned this yonks ago but I want to learn more about routing. First of all though, how to I hook up an EQ to each audio output on the NN-XT. Also How to map each drum sample to separate keys also in the NN-XT.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by fogga: 27-01-2009 14:45.

27-01-2009 14:36
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

read the manual Tongue lol but seriously u can use a line mixer or the 14:2 mixer to route individual outputs from the nn-xt

i do it with the 14:2 - heres how

1. create a 14:2 mixer
2. create an NN-XT
3. to assign different samples to different keys u need to do it in the map editor pretty straight forward (just drag the individual sample bars to the length of the what keys u want them asigned to, if they are one shots u don't normally need more than one key for each hit)
4. flip to the back of the rack by pressing tab
5. u will see that there are 16 individual outputs (8 stereo outs) on the nn-xt and 1/2 have automatically been assigned to the channel 1 input on ur mixer
6. just connect 3/4 output to channel 2 input, 4/5 to channel 3 etc etc
7. flip back to the front of the rack - to the far right just under the map editor screen there is a knob called "out" just turn it on the individual sample to the out that u want to assign to the relevant sample (so one sample is assigned to 1/2, the next to 3/4 etc)
8. for individual eqs - instead of routing directly to the mixer just send the out to the input of ur eq and then the output of the eq to the channel u want in the mixer

hope that helps Happy

__

27-01-2009 15:42 Homepage of Ketz
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Yo

Feeling helpful and a bit bored so here's a visual guide:

So create a 14:2 and an NN-XT and load a sample into slot 1

Move the handles either side of the black bar so that it covers the range of notes you want the sample to play back over. In this case the root note of the kick is C3 so I've mapped it to C3 only

Load a 2nd sample into the next slot, in this case a snare and set the key range that you want the sample to play over

Note that because I want the snare to play back at its original pitch, Ive changed the root to C#3 to match the key Ive mapped it to. I've also changed its output to 3-4, so now the kick will play on 1-2 and the snare on 3-4

Create a couple of EQ units of your choice (hold down shift whilst you're creating them to stop the program automatically patching them up)

Connect output 1-2 from the nnxt to the 1st eq and 3-4 to the second eq, then connect each of these to a channel on the 14:2 mixer

Sorted

Drummer

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

27-01-2009 16:02 Homepage of Binary Havoc
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

also. so you can squeeze more outputs from the nn-xt:

If the sample you are using/adding is mono, select the outputs you want as explained above then use the pan in the bottom right so that the sound only comes out of one out put.

That way, if you are using all mono sounds then you can get 16 single outputs instead of 8 pairs

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

27-01-2009 16:13 Homepage of D2o
Binary Havoc

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
also. so you can squeeze more outputs from the nn-xt:

If the sample you are using/adding is mono, select the outputs you want as explained above then use the pan in the bottom right so that the sound only comes out of one out put.

That way, if you are using all mono sounds then you can get 16 single outputs instead of 8 pairs

Yup ^^^ good tip

Plus when you throw in the fact that you can individually tune / filter / envelope control every individual sample the options are pretty much limitless

__

27-01-2009 18:39 Homepage of Binary Havoc
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

This is excellent, I am having much more fun with my drums now! The only thing left is how do I add more FX to each channel? I have just had reverb and EQ on one channel but I do not know how I add another RV7000 unit so I can use it as a delay line as well.
27-01-2009 18:53
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by fogga
This is excellent, I am having much more fun with my drums now! The only thing left is how do I add more FX to each channel? I have just had reverb and EQ on one channel but I do not know how I add another RV7000 unit so I can use it as a delay line as well.

since youre routing em out you are probably routing them in a mixer? then use the send function on the mixer

just right click on the mixer, create reverb unit and it will be automatically routed through the AUX (send) channels on the mixer. now the effect is used as a send. you can see it right above the master volume slider on the face of the mixer named "return". above every channel on it in the upper part theres four knobs which you use to apply the said effect - for each channel - for up to four different fx units or combinations of units attached as a send on the mixer.

that way you have a certain effect on some of the channels and you can control how much of it is applied. its great for example for "glueing" drums together, they sound much more like a single drum unit when a same amount of delay/reverb is used on em

edit: beat ya to it Binary Big Grin

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 27-01-2009 19:21.

27-01-2009 19:19 Homepage of cynik
Binary Havoc

Helpfulness rating: 

Just right click on the component you want to add the reverb after and > Add > RV7000. Reason will patch it into the chain

Or

Right click on the 14:2 mixer and add the reverb. Reason will then put the effect on aux send 1 so you can dial in as much as you need using the aux 1 knob on each channel. Using one reverb and dialing in as much as you need for each component will probably give you an overall sound that gels better

__

27-01-2009 19:20 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Tha Krane
Tourist

Registration Date: 30-12-2007

Bigup to the Binary Havoc, 'cos this tutorial is brilliant. Bigup
28-01-2009 20:59
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » Routing stuff