drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Side chaining drums!
Go to the bottom of this page Side chaining drums!
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-01-2009

Side chaining, from what i understand(which is not much). It's like an alternate setting for compressors/limiters etc. allowing for clearer hits! Can someone elaborate the 'techy jargon' that websites use in explaining what the f*** it does and how i can implement it into my drums Big Grin ! -

~ My bad, i'd bothered to search the forum and came across more than enough info Smile sorry!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Niceneasyuk: 23-01-2009 20:44.

23-01-2009 20:41
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

what program u using mate? i know a good graphic tutorial on how to do it in reason if u need it

basic principal of sidechaining - used a lot in house tunes to make the "pump" in dnb they are mainly used with the kick n sub, so it works like this: if u sidechain ur kick n ur sub basically evertime ur kick hits the sub "ducks" it - handy when both elements are taking up the same frequencies in the mix

__

23-01-2009 20:44 Homepage of Ketz
Niceneasyuk
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-01-2009

I use reason thankfully, a link would be brill if you could mate! So in a sense they dodge each other to avoid freq confusion?
23-01-2009 20:46
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

basically when ur kick hits it causes the sub to duck at that point, so effectively the kick is cutting thru the mix and at that point it hits there sub moves out as soon as it is released the sub is back in there

LINK

u can do it using the m-class compressor in reason, it has a sidechain input Wink

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 23-01-2009 22:35.

23-01-2009 22:35 Homepage of Ketz
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Side chaining drums!