Go to the bottom of this page Metallicas new sound
Author
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
they recorded the album to be shitty, so to speak. you can only pass judgment when you set a defined goal. was that goal sound fidelity?

loving this Big Grin

it is when you try too hard to sound smart and different, and for the sake of it you will tell all kinds of nonsense oblivious of the fact that youre making a complete fool of yourself

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
06-02-2009 00:23 Homepage of cynik
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
they recorded the album to be shitty, so to speak. you can only pass judgment when you set a defined goal. was that goal sound fidelity?

No, as you propose, that goal was loudness and impact, which they, by all accounts massively failed to deliver. Thats what I'm trying to impart. That I find it highly amusing that a band like Metallica, that base themselves on those attributes, shoot themselves in the foot by releasing a record that, as Cynik points out, cannot be played a high volumes because its produced so badly.

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

06-02-2009 00:24 Homepage of Binary Havoc
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

since theres the regularly mastered version and the crap album version it is safe to assume that the initial recording was alright. so someone in the process destroyed it as the links on the first page show

__
06-02-2009 00:46 Homepage of cynik
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Binary Havoc
Are you seriously telling me that you believe a release of the importance of a new Metallica album could be ruined by an over zealous or inexperienced Mastering Engineer????

Are you seriously believing that a release of importance would not be checked before being put on the market? How else would you explain the Guitar Hero version being much better? The problem seems to be so damn obvious that if they (enigineers) believed their buyers would not notice this they are not very good at their job (slight understatement).

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
06-02-2009 01:13 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

the mastering engineer said it was already brick walled, and the producer was Rick Rubin a legend of music, the album got great rating, and the guitar hero version is different because it's stripped down to individual tracks.

if you look at other metal albums, you'll find the same type of mixdown.

i don't get how people complain that the album is clipping yet, the GH vs CD youtube video clearly shows the CD version is a clear 9db till it will peak. taking 3 times the power to clip. how can it clip and be so fucking quiet at the same time? i don't understand that at all. if it was near the 0 point you would notice the CD version would sound twice as loud as the GH version. i dunno, the video seems kinda skewed.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 06-02-2009 03:18.

06-02-2009 03:14 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

what profound wisdom coming from someone who havent heard the album

GO listen to it, then come back here

__
06-02-2009 07:16 Homepage of cynik
Binary Havoc

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Are you seriously telling me that you believe a release of the importance of a new Metallica album could be ruined by an over zealous or inexperienced Mastering Engineer????

Are you seriously believing that a release of importance would not be checked before being put on the market? How else would you explain the Guitar Hero version being much better? The problem seems to be so damn obvious that if they (enigineers) believed their buyers would not notice this they are not very good at their job (slight understatement).

No, thats exactly what I'm saying. That it was checked before it went out, that they were happy with it sounding the way it did because they thought that was what people wanted to hear and then everyone, including their own fans, roundly agreed that it sounded like shit.

I just don't believe that you could put it down to the guy that mastered it making a mistake. They, the band, must have set out to achieve that sound, no?

__

06-02-2009 08:13 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

was suppose to sound like a recording done in a garage by a bunch of guys who happen to be metallica. or so i've seen it defined as, as the goal of the albums sonic target. they did it one time to tape, not like the use to as in layers of layers of recordings. and chose the best "riffs". it seems like they used some riffs a bit to often and it's annoying.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 07-02-2009 07:16.

07-02-2009 07:14 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

quote:

It happens all the time. Maybe not inexperienced, but surely one who can't stand up for quality, and just makes everything louder and louder and louder as they keep asking him to.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-02-2009 11:25 Homepage of Surya
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
was suppose to sound like a recording done in a garage by a bunch of guys who happen to be metallica. or so i've seen it defined as, as the goal of the albums sonic target. they did it one time to tape, not like the use to as in layers of layers of recordings. and chose the best "riffs". it seems like they used some riffs a bit to often and it's annoying.

Garage loudness, that explains everything ofcourse.

And where did they get the layers for Guitar Hero from?

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
12-02-2009 15:23 Homepage of BattleDrone
Binary Havoc

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
quote:

It happens all the time. Maybe not inexperienced, but surely one who can't stand up for quality, and just makes everything louder and louder and louder as they keep asking him to.

exactly as I said a couple of posts up. the engineer did as the band requested. Not the engineers fault, gets paid to do a job.

__

12-02-2009 15:23 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:

Garage loudness, that explains everything ofcourse.

And where did they get the layers for Guitar Hero from?

It's sourced that the mastering engineer didn't fuck up the mix, he got the mix brickwalled limited already. the guitar hero mix is because, and i don't know if you're down with the GH, but Guitar Hero is this game where you play individual tracks, bass, drums, guitar, and such. so that was based on the tracks being seperated.

mastering engineers do not get the entire mix separated. what's there is there. so the mixes were fucked up by Rick Rubin. so i do not know why people are still saying it was the mastering engineer try to do loudness wars.

yeah anyways, mkaing a shitty mix to sound like amateurs in band makes sense when you consider it's a METAL album, not an acoustic samaba album.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

12-02-2009 15:43 Homepage of Halph-Price
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

Halph, sometimes you make me wanna do this...

Crying
Tongue

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
12-02-2009 23:18 Homepage of Tomos
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks Big Grin but i dunno what you mean, metal albums arn't know for there production values. Van Halen where you can't even hear the basslines and stuff. i guess that's my favorite part of it all. when all else fails you can just blame it on the genre.

i dunno, most fans i talk to say there's NOTHING wrong with album.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-02-2009 08:04 Homepage of Halph-Price
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

Went to see Metallica in Manchester last night. Bloody brilliant! Rinse Rinse Even their new stuff was really good. Big Grin The only downer was that we only got to see 2 songs from Machine Head because of heavy traffic. Crying

__
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
27-02-2009 19:51 Homepage of Tomos
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
The only downer was that we only got to see 2 songs from Machine Head because of heavy traffic. Crying

I hate that......missing bands you've paid to see due to traffic/rail/tube/slow friends is possibly one of the most frustrating things ever.
03-03-2009 13:49
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
i dunno, most fans i talk to say there's NOTHING wrong with album.

that is the problem with fans, for them anything they do is sacred, even if it is a pile of shit burned on a cd

__
03-03-2009 18:39 Homepage of cynik
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Yawn
quote:
The only downer was that we only got to see 2 songs from Machine Head because of heavy traffic. Crying

I hate that......missing bands you've paid to see due to traffic/rail/tube/slow friends is possibly one of the most frustrating things ever.

Yep, totally agree. I love Machine Head big time. I've seen them supporting Slayer twice, another two times on their own in Wolverhampton and once at Donnington Monsters of Rock festival.

The only good thing about the Metallica gig is that I got to see them play Davidian on the last track. Heeeavvvy! Big Grin Rinse

__
03-03-2009 19:43 Homepage of Tomos
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, totally agree. I love Machine Head big time. I've seen them supporting Slayer twice, another two times on their own in Wolverhampton and once at Donnington Monsters of Rock festival.

The only good thing about the Metallica gig is that I got to see them play Davidian on the last track. Heeeavvvy! Big Grin Rinse

Ain't heard of Machine head in years. Davidian was a wicked tune. Saw them loads of time in the 90's. Went to see Fear Factory at the Underworld in Camden. Was going for a lash and the vocalist walked in and was standing next to me, was so supprised that I nearly pissed on his shoes! Big Grin

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
03-03-2009 22:07
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

\

i missed peaches at a nin concert onces, still i got a monster hickey on teh way though.... was so drunk, and lost, had to take a taxi to get there at all.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

04-03-2009 01:54 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Metallicas new sound