drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Metallicas new sound
Go to the bottom of this page Metallicas new sound
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

what hit's did the have after black album?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

16-01-2009 05:30 Homepage of Halph-Price
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
what hit's did the have after black album?

They released a cover of Whisky in the jar and upset half of Ireland at the time claiming the song was written by Thin Lizzy, when in fact it was an Irish folk song Big Grin

Everything else they have released hasn't really been that rememberable.

In fact, now days when I hear the word Metallica, I don't think of the music, it conjours up an image of Lars complaining about people downloading his songs Big Grin

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
16-01-2009 06:55
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by Wally D
Something I found about the download version on GTR 3

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

jesus! pretty shocking stuff. To be honest I thought all the recent metallica stuff sucked. Especially Saint Anger. I know the black album was slightly more cheesy than their stuff prior to it, but I cant help but love it.

Don't tell anyone but sometimes, when no one is around I like to put on 'don't tread on me' turn up the volume and pretend it's it's 1991 all over again.....
17-01-2009 12:22
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Yawn
quote:
Originally posted by Wally D
Something I found about the download version on GTR 3

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

jesus! pretty shocking stuff. To be honest I thought all the recent metallica stuff sucked. Especially Saint Anger. I know the black album was slightly more cheesy than their stuff prior to it, but I cant help but love it.

Don't tell anyone but sometimes, when no one is around I like to put on 'don't tread on me' turn up the volume and pretend it's it's 1991 all over again.....

yeh

"smashing through the boundaries, lunacy has found me, cannot stop the BATTERY !!1!! Devil Drummer Rinse

just get anything easily broken out of the way lol

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
17-01-2009 12:28 Homepage of cynik
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

Oh dear, it seems I'm the only one who likes some of Metallica's recent stuff (except Load, which was truly a pile of wank). I thought St. Anger was great. Big Grin

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
17-01-2009 13:25 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Maybe a bit late, but here's some on topic video footage.
GH means sound from the Guitar Hero game, CD means the (ab)normal CD sound...

Just listen to the snare drums on the CD version Puke

Hint: for better video-sound quality select HQ from the rightmost menu at the bottom of the video (arrow pointing up), this option is only available when the video is playing.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
05-02-2009 00:24 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

nice find BD. that about sums it up, my rage is relentless

it is a crime for which they should be punished

__
05-02-2009 00:33 Homepage of cynik
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

After all ruining the sound of the Cd is a good way to stop illegal downloaders as they won't be willing to download this bunch of crap.
Way to go! I wonder how soon the engineer who did this got fired?

__
05-02-2009 00:39 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Maybe a bit late, but here's some on topic video footage.
GH means sound from the Guitar Hero game, CD means the (ab)normal CD sound...

Just listen to the snare drums on the CD version Puke

Hint: for better video-sound quality select HQ from the rightmost menu at the bottom of the video (arrow pointing up), this option is only available when the video is playing.

i have found that vid before and was upset, because they make the cd song seem like it's quieter. where since it's pushed so much, you can get an extra 9db out of it, thus doubling the volume.

If i am listening to the track in my car or in the subway, those snappy snares arn't gunna matter if that's I hear.

that and i'd rather crank it to 11 then enjoy sound fidelity. anyday.

i dunno, it's just so weird . . . since when are we audiophiles?

that reminds me i should get that album.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 05-02-2009 01:53.

05-02-2009 01:36 Homepage of Halph-Price
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

i dunno, it's just so weird . . . since when are we audiophiles?

I'm not afaik.

But if a band like Metallica sells CD's which are obviously mistreated by a clumsy engineer who ruined the whole sound I do get upset. Especially because there's a better version of these recordings on the market.
And that "bald guy with long hair" Lars Ulrich only cares about downloaders. They probably hired a low budget mastering engineer so they could maximize profit.
But if you like to be threated like that... enjoy.

Just imagine someone uploading a tune on here with the same "mastering"? Would they get told that they overly compressed their sound?

__
05-02-2009 09:30 Homepage of BattleDrone
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

no, you don't really notice it. hyst lacks in energy for example. that's why it's almost a moot argument. if you can tell me off the top of your head other over compressed bands without looking at a spectrograph, yea. but to be honest i know a few, umm, and there ALSO metal bands. Children of Bodom. I know that one because it played GREAT at a workshop. could hear it WAY better then NIN and Tools albums.

also the radio, is just like that. everything on the radio is over compressed. it's not that you're not use to hearing it, again if it wasn't for the GH version you wouldn't be having this discussion. GH and CD version have 2 different goals. you master for specific goals. can't always be golden. but

quote:

The album has been criticized for having compromised sound quality, due to an overly compressed dynamic range, leading to audible clipping and distortion.[64] Sean Michaels of The Guardian explains that "the sound issues are a result of the "loudness war" – an ongoing industry effort to make recordings as loud as possible".[65] A Rolling Stone article states that Rick Rubin was "overseeing mixes in Los Angeles while the band is in Europe, headlining shows" and only communicated with him by conference calls.[66] Fans have noted that these sonic problems are not present in the Guitar Hero version of the album,[67] where the tracks are present separately because of the game mechanics.[68][69] MusicRadar and Rolling Stone attribute a quote to the album's mastering engineer Ted Jensen in which he claims that "mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived" for mastering[70][71] and cite a petition from fans to remix or remaster the album.[72]

Metallica and Rubin initially declined to comment on the issue, while the band's co-manager Cliff Burnstein stated that complainers were in a minority and that response to the album had otherwise been "overwhelmingly positive".[73] Lars Ulrich later confirmed in an interview with Blender, that some creative control regarding the album's production had indeed been transferred to Rubin but also stressed his satisfaction with the final product.[74][75]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Magnetic

FUCKING RICK RUBIN, wait ... NO, that mans a fucking legend.
quote:
produced Rage Against the Machine's 2000 covers album, Renegades. He presented the song "Hurt" to Johnny Cash originally recorded by Nine Inch Nails.

quote:
He is given credit for merging rap and heavy metal as well as producing the "American series" albums with Johnny Cash. MTV called him "the most important producer of the last 20 years.

other artist including Niel Dimond, slayer, jay-z, beastie boys, areosmith, tom petty, run dmc, LL cool j, The Dixie Chicks, Justin Timberlake, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Green Day, Johnny Cash and DJ Jazzy Jeff ...

what a fucking cheap ass producer, wrecking the album.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 05-02-2009 13:24.

05-02-2009 13:14 Homepage of Halph-Price
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
no, you don't really notice it. hyst lacks in energy for example. that's why it's almost a moot argument. if you can tell me off the top of your head other over compressed bands without looking at a spectrograph, yea. but to be honest i know a few, umm, and there ALSO metal bands. Children of Bodom. I know that one because it played GREAT at a workshop. could hear it WAY better then NIN and Tools albums.

also the radio, is just like that. everything on the radio is over compressed. it's not that you're not use to hearing it, again if it wasn't for the GH version you wouldn't be having this discussion. GH and CD version have 2 different goals. you master for specific goals.

Read the first posting on this thread and you'll see that people DO notice it.

I can't alter the radio, but I can refuse to buy a CD that has been fucked up on purpose. What would be the exact goal of mastering a track into a pile of noise? I still think people buy games to play and CD's to listen? Anyway, if you can master the stuff for a game then why not for a normal CD?

No matter what defense, it still is the result of loudness war gone bad.
I'll let you know when I see an argument that justifies releasing an album with this kind of mastering in comparison to the available recording budget.

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price what a fucking cheap ass producer (Rick Rubin), wrecking the album.

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDRone
They probably hired a low budget mastering engineer so they could maximize profit.

quote:
from Wikipedia on Rick Rubin
On the subject of his production methods; Dan Charnas, a music journalist who worked as vice president of A&R and marketing at Rubin's American Recordings label in the 1990s, said "He's fantastic with sound and arrangements, and he's tremendous with artists. They love him. He shows them how to make it better, and he gets more honest and exciting performances out of people than anyone."

I don't think Mr. Rubin does final mastering on the recordings himself. He's known for lying on the studio couch fiddling with the latest in electronic gadgets and after a few hours he'll tell the band what they are doing wrong. Or tell them what track to cover or which style influence to introduce into their music. Guru style, not knob tweaker. The album was actually mixed by Greg Fidelman and Ted Jensen from Sterling Sound Studios, which does not mean they mastered it.

__
05-02-2009 13:58 Homepage of BattleDrone
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
also the radio, is just like that. everything on the radio is over compressed.

Yeah, that's why most of it sounds wank.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
05-02-2009 20:51 Homepage of Tomos
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
if you can tell me off the top of your head other over compressed bands without looking at a spectrograph, yea.

you dont need a spectrograph to notice production so heavily squashed it hurts. so what you say doesnt really make sense

__
05-02-2009 23:21 Homepage of cynik
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Not so easy for me to comment on this (cos I fuckin hate everything metallica ever made) but I find it really diificult if not impossible to believe that, as some of you are claiming, the overproccessed nature of their last record is down to "a clumsy engineer who ruined the whole sound"

Are you seriously telling me that you believe a release of the importance of a new Metallica album could be ruined by an over zealous or inexperienced Mastering Engineer????

They went for loudness at the peak of the loudness war and got found found out by a bunch of listeners that suddenly woke the fuck up and you reap what you sow...so I have no sympathy for them

If it was a mistake at the mastering stage then they would have simply got it remastered as opposed to putting out a truly terrible sounding record

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

05-02-2009 23:47 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
quote:
if you can tell me off the top of your head other over compressed bands without looking at a spectrograph, yea.

you dont need a spectrograph to notice production so heavily squashed it hurts. so what you say doesnt really make sense

so ... the mix that is squashed down, for example is ...

yeah, anyways, it's a METAL album, I think it's forgivable.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 05-02-2009 23:53.

05-02-2009 23:51 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cynik
quote:

so ... the mix that is squashed down, for example is ...

yeah, anyways, it's a METAL album, not prog rock. METAL is CRANKED, to 11.

astounding level of ignorance. you dont get it do you, have you even lheard the thing? its not just squashed, its DISCUSTING

the 10th tune, my apocalipse is particularly bad when the fast riff goes

quote:
Originally posted by Binary Havoc
Not so easy for me to comment on this (cos I fuckin hate everything metallica ever made) but I find it really diificult if not impossible to believe that, as some of you are claiming, the overproccessed nature of their last record is down to "a clumsy engineer who ruined the whole sound"

Are you seriously telling me that you believe a release of the importance of a new Metallica album could be ruined by an over zealous or inexperienced Mastering Engineer????

They went for loudness at the peak of the loudness war and got found found out by a bunch of listeners that suddenly woke the fuck up and you reap what you sow...so I have no sympathy for them

If it was a mistake at the mastering stage then they would have simply got it remastered as opposed to putting out a truly terrible sounding record

thank you

__
06-02-2009 00:09 Homepage of cynik
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

yeah, anyways, it's a METAL album, I think it's forgivable.

It is so not forgivable to produce a record that even your own fans cannot enjoy due to the shitness of the production.

I mean can you imagine being in that position, In one of the worlds biggest groups, expecting to shift a lot of units and your own fans turn on you, not because the songs are shit (some say they're even a return to form) , but because the production values are so fuckin terrible..........Laughing my fucking arse off frankly

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

06-02-2009 00:11 Homepage of Binary Havoc
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

yeah, anyways, it's a METAL album, not prog rock. METAL is CRANKED, to 11.

but you CANT crank it. it sounds shit and after a minute you start feeling sick

you dont seem to grasp the subject here mate

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 06-02-2009 00:17.

06-02-2009 00:17 Homepage of cynik
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

they recorded the album to be shitty, so to speak. you can only pass judgment when you set a defined goal. was that goal sound fidelity?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

06-02-2009 00:17 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Metallicas new sound