drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Metallicas new sound
Go to the bottom of this page Metallicas new sound
Author
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

what the fuck is going on people?

back in the day long before even interested in electronic music I was a crazed metallica fan. they rocked, period. that is just until the "black" album when the band opted for cheesy videos to go with their mellow sounding blunt commercial sound

but now they release "Death Magnetic". upon hearing some of it I couldnt believe my ears - it was like the good old days of chuggy sounding riffs and relentless punmping drums. decided to get my hands on the CD

now I know there was severall discussions here about how music sounds louder and louder, but this is something else

I cannot listen to the metallica´s new album death magnetic. thats it it cannot be done

on low volume it sounds well, ok. but its MEANT to be played loud but when I do it sounds my equipment gone haywire, EVERYTHING DISTORTS. Im not talking about it sounding "a little harsh" on ears, trust me people, or dont and take a listen to it yourself, its so much distorted it hurts. it is TECHNICALLY WRONG, a mess of overdistorting sounds fighting for space all the time

who ever the fuck decided this is cool should be dead, they all should be dead for letting this pass in such a horrible state.

Id give it 9 out of 10 musically for going back to the good old banging stuff what was all about

but production is none, a 0

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 11-01-2009 19:39.

11-01-2009 19:37 Homepage of cynik
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

I guess this is not a good time to say that I've got tickets to see them in a few weeks time then? Big Grin I haven't listened to their latest album yet tho.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
11-01-2009 19:41 Homepage of Tomos
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

not sure about concert stuff, they sounded great at a gig here some five years ago. but the a couple of new tracks on th enew album are quite good, again, musically and I want to listen to them but I cant

Im not sure you can judge by the mp3s online. you can try

but if you think its the quality (rather the lack of), dont, cause I got the cd right here and it is unlistenable

__
11-01-2009 19:47 Homepage of cynik
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

hey look. their new album you can download if you buy.... guitar hero III ????????

WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

thats it people, its over.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabber...wsitemID=104268

__
11-01-2009 19:52 Homepage of cynik
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

rock and roll is something that literally came from the meaning of "sex" to rock and roll.

anyways, little know thing about rock music, the reason most 18 year olds make it in the rock biz is cuz hey, sex drive makes good rock.

blues on teh other hand, that shit can go until the day you die. hence why areosmith and rolling stones later stuff still pwnz.

that and Metallica is now a music cliche, the rock band that made it against the mainstream, becomes mainstream. literally the cliche rock band story.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 11-01-2009 22:25.

11-01-2009 22:24 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

whatever. point was the last album is a trip to the old days which was not mainstream, but the mastering absolutely ruins it

__
11-01-2009 23:59 Homepage of cynik
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I remember that thechronic said in the "loudness war" thread that a lot of regular bands (poppy chart stuff) are compressing so much that you can actually hear the distortion.
So it was only a question of time until someone had to do even worse than that.
The problem is that most of the kids will probably even like that sound because it adds extra "roughness".

I'm going to buy stock from some hearing aid company. I'll be rich in 20 years Happy

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
12-01-2009 00:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
Wally D Wally D is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-3429.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Something I found about the download version on GTR 3

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

__
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/store/Infinite-Recordings
http://soundcloud.com/wallyd79
AIM wallyd79
12-01-2009 01:16 Homepage of Wally D
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Wally D
Something I found about the download version on GTR 3

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/does-metallicas.html

so that teaches me to never again buy a cd before reading up on it on the internet, cause I dont really read reviews on music, but this is another thing

theres a link there to a metallica fansite where theres an email sent by the guy at their mastering studio apologising for the stuff while washing his hands of it Confused

and LOL about the two different masters. which makes me think could it be they deliberately made it clipping. not really sure about the motives for that.

I want a re-release sent to me by mail free of charge!!! Evil

__
12-01-2009 01:32 Homepage of cynik
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

the over compression thing happens in more then just rock albums, even quiet sounding acoustic pieces can be like this, and without the spectral analysis, you wouldn't know/care.

it's just the way it goes, sometimes if the mixer/producer isn't there for the mastering, it gets done differently. it's all really "just life".

black album was amazing, but usually as an rock band goes, unless they goto Blues styles, they usually get 4 or 5 albums out.

korn, system of a down, metallica, anything that is rock. i dunno maybe i am wrong, anyone know who defied this law? maybe some early 70's band back when they released an album ever 2 months.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

12-01-2009 01:56 Homepage of Halph-Price
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

i was a big metallica man years ago, loved all their early stuff as well (which i aspired to play on the guitar myself collecting tabs etc etc) although their sound changed over the years i don't think anything can touch their work up until the black album (and everything before)

haven't heard the new one, may have to check it out, sounds too bad to be true?!

__

13-01-2009 19:34 Homepage of Ketz
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

suppose to sound raw, and the first Metallica albums were very well produced, if you watch the making of, it's some nice sounds. they layered all the guitar sounds and gave it that "wall of sound" treatment, that really helped give them the same energy as their live performance, which is WHY they were famous. not from their studio work.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-01-2009 19:36 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

well I have to dissagree since kill em all as well as ride the lightning sounded very tinny, master of puppets was another thing though, a real masterpiece and ofcourse and justice for all.

and they did sell a lot of copies, and made a lot of great live gigs. they were very popular here and since they didnt ever come up until five years ago the popularity has risen solely on studio stuff. those were the days of walkmans ffs!!

hetfield himself was very surprised as to how everyone knows the lyrics, and how big was the audience response.

__
13-01-2009 22:14 Homepage of cynik
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
i was a big metallica man years ago, loved all their early stuff as well (which i aspired to play on the guitar myself collecting tabs etc etc) although their sound changed over the years i don't think anything can touch their work up until the black album (and everything before)

haven't heard the new one, may have to check it out, sounds too bad to be true?!

That was pretty much the same for me. Didn't really like the black album or anything after. They lost the edge I think. I saw them play at Ministry Of Sound down in Elephant and Castle once. They had a tiny room. Still have a pick from it. I got charged 7.50 for a bottle of bud! Only brought one Big Grin Think I saw them about 10 times. They seemed to get worst everytime Frown

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
14-01-2009 04:09
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

the black album sucked?

"Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters" , "Wherever I May Roam" and "Sad but True". then the bonus track was bad ass too, i thought it was heavier then the other shit.

as well as the elevator version of the songs, were epicly good.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 14-01-2009 19:06.

14-01-2009 19:05 Homepage of Halph-Price
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
the black album sucked?

"Enter Sandman", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters" , "Wherever I May Roam" and "Sad but True". then the bonus track was bad ass too, i thought it was heavier then the other shit.

ya man personally i really liked the black album but i can see where bruce is comin from in that they went a bit more "commercial" with that album, it saw the end of their speed metal days

__

14-01-2009 20:37 Homepage of Ketz
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

if you watch the making of the black album, it shows, ya they went commercial. he learned how to sing, and made the lyrics personal. selling out = vocal lessons.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-01-2009 00:07 Homepage of Halph-Price
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

I see "enter sandman" and "sad but true" as exceptions on otherwise very weak black album, especially when you compare it to "...justice"

the ballads you mention were the death of metallica as I knew it and it was a huge dissapointment. "nothing else matters" is gay, everytime I hear the line "life is ours" I swear he sings "life is LARS" which is not gay but gaylord

the lyrics on the whole album, including enter sandman and sad but true was kids stuff compared to the politically colored, society-critical and mature nature of "...and justice for all", "shortest straw" etc.

__
15-01-2009 00:21 Homepage of cynik
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

oh do not get me wrong, black is the last good album, thus proving max 5 albums, and usually that 5th album just made it. usually by the 4th album they're done.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

15-01-2009 03:01 Homepage of Halph-Price
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
the black album sucked?

I wouldn't say the album sucked really. But the band were definately heading in a different direction and that was enough for me. There were some great tracks on it, that I can appreciate now, but for my age at the time, about 18, it wasn't really what I was looking for in the band.

I went to one of the preview nights of the album which they did before the release, at Hammersmith Odeon. I would say that 80% of the crowd loved it, but that other 20% certainly let there opinion known!

At the same time as the release, I was also listening to a lot of hardcore (punk and rave) also a lot of grindcore bands. Metallica had gone musical in there style, which showed there maturity, but I was after pure energy/noise/bass, which the band was moving away from... Basically, in my opinion at the time, there ballads, did suck. Shocked

I'm sure they made a great deal more new fans, than people turning there back on them and fair play to them.

At the end of the day, music is a personal taste. Nothing to get upset about if some one doesn't agree with your opinion. Not that I'm taking a dig at you Halph! Tongue

As for the new album, havn't heard it, but I have read in other places how bad the sound is Huh

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
15-01-2009 04:46
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Metallicas new sound