drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Help with Darkstep
Go to the bottom of this page Help with Darkstep
Author

Registration Date: 08-01-2009

Hey guy's, I've used FL studio for a while, been trying to make songs and I made a simple DnB Song just to get the feeling of it right, at first I wanted to make hardcore/hardstyle music with FL Studio but I got tired of listening to that genre, and decided I wanted to make Darkstep Smile , thing is I would really appreciate if someone told me the basics and stuff on how to make darkstep. I don't really know where to start off from and what must I do to make it darkstep, thank's guys
08-01-2009 05:13
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

Simple dirty beats, sick blines and reeces, dark atmo, and in means of production....distortion and low pass filtered snares for buildups are your best friends when messing with darkstep imo. Not really sure if thats what you mean, but the layout of a darkstep tune are the same as any other dnb tunage. Intro, buildup, drop, breakdown, buildup, main drop, maybe another breakdown, then outro. If that doesn't help, than maybe post up another question, with a lil more detail to it, and I'm sure you will get some help. Hope this helps ya tho

RespeKt!
Philthy

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish
08-01-2009 07:31 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
Syck3n

Registration Date: 08-01-2009

Thanks alot bro, that info is great, I was wondering also how can I make a bassline synth, what VST should I use and how to make it "dark" Tongue
08-01-2009 07:58
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

NI Massive is fucking awesome for any and all styles of tunes, especially for basslines. Zeta and Absynth for atmo and fx, and all Synapse VSTi's (Orion, Junglist, Hydra) have alot you can do with em. Those are the ones I use the most. And Rob Papen VSTi's are really good as well(Albino, Predator, BLUE). And I just got Audjoo Helix, and I have been using the shit out of it as of late. Hope this helps ya. Oh and like I said in my first post on this topic. Low/hi pass filtered automation, distortion, and reverb will set the dark mood for ya pretty well I think. It's more of a mess around as much as possible until you hear the vibe you want to get, if you know what I mean. Drummer Drummer Devil Drummer Drummer

RespeKt!
Philthy

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Philthy McNasty: 08-01-2009 08:06.

08-01-2009 08:04 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

hello mate yeah lots of synths about u can make some sick sounds out of (best to learn just a couple inside out and get used to em) if ur on FL why not give the 3xosc a go?

have a go at making some reeces, planety of info online on the various forums on how to make em, take it from there! Big Grin

__

08-01-2009 21:10 Homepage of Ketz
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

do what sounds good, tell me how you figured out how to do darkstep, I'd like to know. until you experiment, and find out how to make there sort of sounds, it's kinda hard how to tell you what to do. if you can make a sounds that kinda sounds like them, it's probably how they did it, or similar.

how to make any genre of music, and just listen to it critically, not just listen to the music, but listen to the different parts. after having experience with music production software, you'll learn different techniques to reproduce some of those elements. cuz even if you know how to make it, you still have to learn to get the same feel.

you made one simple dnb song?

to start from though, you just need to learn how to do the drum beat. that's the hardest element, but the groove element is the most important. with out that, it doesn't matter what you use for atmosphere, or for basslines, it'll just sounds wrong.
cehck out stuff like www.Wikipedia.com or www.dnbwiki.com. Wikipedia the genre of music, tehy have samples and explain very basically any type of genre. the dnbwiki.com has awesome samples you need.

it's our big secret. they'll probably flame my e-mail for telling you. be carful for the RESEARCHLABS_substance pack, you'll have some samples to sick basslines, and not have to learn how to make them, just how to loop the near ends of the samples.

there's some nice sample packs for drum beats on this site too in our SAMPLES section. as well as tihs drum pack i made for new hip hop/drum and bass. it's pretty much the major classic drum beats.

Drum n Bass 4 noobs.zip

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-01-2009 04:22 Homepage of Halph-Price
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

You need to download the darkstep plug in.... its the only way man

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
09-01-2009 18:01
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=5

(Plugin) Anechoic Room Simulator

Incredible Room Simulation Plugin...
This plugin is so high fidelity you won?t believe your ears.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

09-01-2009 20:06 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
You need to download the darkstep plug in.... its the only way man

ROFL

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-01-2009 03:52 Homepage of Muad'Dib
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

but to get really into it, turn off the light and take a few steps. youll surely know youre in for some DARK STEP

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
11-01-2009 19:56 Homepage of cynik
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

i usually goto the gym first, and work on my pecks. can't be a good darkstep without pecks. that and shark hormones.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

11-01-2009 22:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
nosebleednb nosebleednb is a male
Master Baiter

images/avatars/avatar-2713.gif

Registration Date: 15-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
i usually goto the gym first, and work on my pecks. can't be a good darkstep without pecks. that and shark hormones.

__

11-01-2009 22:39 Homepage of nosebleednb
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
12-01-2009 03:32 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

THEN JUST DRINK POWERTHIRST, if you can't work the pecks.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

12-01-2009 04:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I havnt tried turning off the lights and stepping yet... hmmm... gonna do that tonight Evil

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
12-01-2009 18:28
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

I just strap babies or kittens to my feet!
Layer and re- Devil sample.

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 23-01-2009 04:10.

23-01-2009 04:09
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

tie 2 lawnmowers together back to back, and throw it down a staircase full of people . . .

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-01-2009 08:41 Homepage of Halph-Price
Niceneasyuk
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-01-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

THEN JUST DRINK POWERTHIRST, if you can't work the pecks.
- That is seriously one of the funnies things i've seen in a while! lmfao.

Dark-step = Choppy heavy drums and twisted reece imo. Get a nice sound reece distort the mid-high freq. Run it through a filter and fiddle with the freq settings in fast succession, you'll fiddle for hours!
23-01-2009 20:21
KZSS
Producer

Registration Date: 23-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

Ignore all the stupid responses to your post. Must be some DOA vibes spreading to .be.

Darkstep or whatever you wanna call it is based around heavily treated amen breaks with twisted basslines. Find an amen , distort it , cut in into individual hits and make a different pattern.
Despite what someone else said the beats aren't that important in these kind of tunes (a lot of darkstep is techno based now so it's just relentless kick drums or snares anyway)
Getting the substance bass sample pack is a good start cos there are some twisted sounds in there and you can make some nice riffs by just splicing a few together ( imo they need treatment tho cos the eq of them is a bit too bass heavy for me)
Search the offkey website forum for some good links to sample packs (the websites of alot of these labels have great stuff in the forums if you can be bothered to look thru them).
The main point i think is to create a dark vibe by getting lots of atmos and scary sounds. Sampling horror movie soundtracks is a good startin place (although nothing too obvious or cheesy)

I've recently started a collaberative side project making heavy,dark tracks and they've all been signed so far.

__
KZSS

www.myspace.com/kzss

www.myspace.com/mindsaw

www.myspace.com/ammunitionrecordings
03-02-2009 10:54 Homepage of KZSS
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

when ever i want to learn how to do a music genre i use Wikipedia. right now i am trying to do minimal.

quote:

Darkstep
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stylistic origins
Darkcore
Industrial music
Techstep

Cultural origins
Late 1990s, Europe and United States
Typical instruments
Synthesizer - Sampler (musical instrument) - Sequencer - Tracker
Mainstream popularity
Low
Derivative forms
Wreckstep, Rivetstep

Darkstep is a sub-genre of Drum and Bass commonly known as Hard Drum n Bass which became popular in the late 1990s. It combines the dark elements of Darkcore jungle with highly energetic breakbeats. Samples commonly used to achieve this include the amen break and the firefight break.

A typical darkstep track is characterized by the energy of the drums and bassline, and ambient noises similar to those used in neurofunk. It generally does not follow any musical scales, tending to use chromatic scales and other dissonant elements to create a dark atmosphere.

List of related artists

* Black Sun Empire
* Calyx
* Concord Dawn
* Counterstrike
* Current Value
* Demo
* Donny
* Dieselboy
* Evol Intent
* Gein
* Hive
* Ink
* Infiltrata
* Limewax
* Loxy
* Mindstorm
* Noisia
* NPhect
* PAEBAC
* The Panacea
* Ram Trilogy
* Spor
* SPL
* Surge
* Typecell
* Technical Itch
* T.Z.A.
* Zardonic
* Brutal Incision

See also

* Darkcore
* Techstep
* Breakcore
* Skullstep
* www.darkstep.org
* List of jungle and drum n bass artists

ig et a lot of atmospheric stuff, like Enya and slow it down and fuck it up majorly for some of my dark atmos stuff.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 03-02-2009 16:22.

03-02-2009 16:16 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Help with Darkstep