drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » argh - cant make a decent beat with Reason
Go to the bottom of this page argh - cant make a decent beat with Reason
Author

Registration Date: 05-01-2009

hey iv been making some drum n bass tunes recently n still cant make a decent drum beat with reason i have made a masic drum beat wth the bass drum on 1 n 11 and the snare on 5 n 13 etc but i cant make anything better :@ can someone helpme out please Tongue
05-01-2009 20:17
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

layer some breaks

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

06-01-2009 01:59 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

boh. i got my breaks on the samples page here they're good using dr.rex. if they were rexed, frankly i don't use reason much.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

06-01-2009 04:12 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Search the web for some rexed breaks packs and load a (couple of) break(s) in Dr Rex, then start experimenting A LOT to figure out how a drumnbass break works.
You can layer drumhits to create a whole new sound. Watch some youtube tutorials on the subject (check out Chase & Status beatmaking tutorial and see some related videos).
Don't expect to be the drummaster overnight, it can be a bitch to get it right.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
06-01-2009 08:57 Homepage of BattleDrone
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by ricky945
hey iv been making some drum n bass tunes recently n still cant make a decent drum beat with reason i have made a masic drum beat wth the bass drum on 1 n 11 and the snare on 5 n 13 etc but i cant make anything better :@ can someone helpme out please Tongue

n 11 n13? u talkin about the NN-19 sampler in Reason?

I've been using Reason for a while now and yes it is difficult at first to get a nice rollin DnB beat from it, here is what I would suggest:

for your one shots (main kick, snare, hats, rides etc) make sure u use only good, clean high quality samples, i can't make clear enough how important this is (i have loooooads of samples of which i use only a handful of the "best"). You can program ur one shots in the NN-19 or NN-XT (as opposed to the redrum) as you have more routing options and control over each individual sound that way.

Kick - i use 2 kicks, one big low endy on so it thumps and the 2nd a more punchier kick hipassed (so the kick has some more presence on the higher frequencies). EQnig ur kicks normally varies depending on the sample that u use but i normally boost my lower kick by about 6db at 80 - 110hz.

Snare - again i use 2 snare, one low one with a lot of body and another snappier snare with more high in it, the lower snare normally boost by 6db at 150 - 200hz

HiHats - pitch ur hats low and program a shuffle, then hipass them to give them some "shine"

Breaks - now get ur Dr Rex player out and go through some breaks - always hipass them as this will save space on the low end of your mix for the kick and sub (and beleive me u will need as much room in those areas as possible as its DnB) - u can reprogram ur loops in the sequencer in reason so always try and make sure that the break is playing the same or a similar rhythm to the main beat that you have already programmed. I can go up to 5, 6, 7 or even more breaks - theres no fixed rule on this, just keep layering until ur beat sounds full. Also try playing with the ASDR on the rex player, cut the whole break short make it nice n choppy, this can help avoid ur beat end up sounding messy

and ofcourse practice pratice pratice, you will get there, Reason is a great program and a lot of DnB producers use it

also bear in mind the above is just the way i do MY beats in Reason, by no means the way you should, everyone has their own techniques just use what works best for you Bigup

__

06-01-2009 11:41 Homepage of Ketz
Krisch Krisch is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2727.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz

I think he meant that he put the beats to step 11 and 13 (in redrum) Smile
Anyway you can't get a decent dnb beat out of just the kick and snare. You need hi-hats, rides, and other percussion as well to get it roll as others said above. There are no rules to get a rolling beat you should experiment until you happy with your beats.
06-01-2009 14:32 Homepage of Krisch
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Krisch
quote:

I think he meant that he put the beats to step 11 and 13 (in redrum) Smile
Anyway you can't get a decent dnb beat out of just the kick and snare. You need hi-hats, rides, and other percussion as well to get it roll as others said above. There are no rules to get a rolling beat you should experiment until you happy with your beats.

My Mistake Big Grin

__

06-01-2009 15:14 Homepage of Ketz
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

also check out loki's youtube tut on beats, he uses redrum with compression and eq etc. nice tips too.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
08-01-2009 09:59
ricky945

thanks a lot i forgot i had posted asking about that n even tho i do know more now this is still really helpfull thanks a lot.
i do need some decent samples only a bass drum and snare, iv already sorted out hi-hats n rimshots ect but u knwo were i could get bass drum n snare ?
03-05-2009 17:49
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
i do need some decent samples only a bass drum and snare, iv already sorted out hi-hats n rimshots ect but u knwo were i could get bass drum n snare ?

Vengeance packs have some nice kick n snare one shots, but be careful as everyone uses them Wink

__

03-05-2009 19:18 Homepage of Ketz
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
quote:

Vengeance packs have some nice kick n snare one shots, but be careful as everyone uses them Wink

This

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

03-05-2009 19:38 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

just use standard GM/TR-drumkits & procsees them if needed, they already sound near perfect.

Gives you nice synthetic beats.

Layer them with some akoustic hits/(or whatever),

gives you the 'swing"

Process/mix again to a fat solid beat

requirements:

DAW with a few standard drumkits and a sampler. (any daw)

It really does't matter which program you use, just learn to use a sampler and a DAW, and keep all the other aspects in mind (headroom, loludness, tempo;...)

A nice trick which helped me a lot constructing beats is playing bongo's:
analyse existing things and try to figure out all dynamics/rhythms/tempo's...

numbers like 9 and 11 mean shit if they are on their own Wink
Invite the others to: 5,2; 2pi; 1; 1,5; 6/3; e;...
cast them into a nice function (sin, saw,...)
they will create your dynamics for you Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 04-05-2009 13:37.

04-05-2009 11:56
ricky945

thanx im glad u new wot i was on bout with the 5 n 11 thing n i have got more of a solid beat sorted out since then just i dont have any cash to get any decent sample packs n all the kicks i have are shit even when iv sorted them out compressed them n stuff Frown
07-05-2009 22:54
tormalean tormalean is a male

Registration Date: 06-05-2009

hey mate go on you tube and watch a few tutorials

Big Grin
08-05-2009 01:42 Homepage of tormalean
ricky945

thanx to everyone helping me out i have managed to make some decent stuff with the info only problem is i need some decent punchy kick samples, snare and ride etc.
I cant seem to find anywhere free or anything, i have downloaded some decent dr rex break beats and stuff like that but i want to do the majority myself through redrum or nnxt. Can anyone send me like 3 kicks, snares or something.
28-08-2009 15:14
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

you can load parts of rex files into redrum and nnxt

for a more full sound, if you already have the beat sounding as you want, layer some 909 sounds. roland 909 is a widely used rhythm machine, there are samples everywhere

here I even googled it: free 909 wav

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&clien...v&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
28-08-2009 15:26 Homepage of cynik
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » argh - cant make a decent beat with Reason