drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » I Want To Rent A House With Friends
Go to the bottom of this page I Want To Rent A House With Friends
Author
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

So i want to rent a house with friends , and i'm looking for a house that holds 5 bedrooms and is still afordable. This way we can work and live on our own , away from the parental place.

Any of you guys have experience with this ?

Any tips and tricks ?

Where to be carefull at ?

What rules do you make to make things go well ?

etc..

I want to be settled down in spring-summer.
21-12-2008 17:31
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Aahh shared houses... I spent many a year in them until i met my girl who is now my wife.

Its different everywhere you go i suppose but some key things to keep in mind when sharing with freinds is:

1) Don't get tied into long term contracts, freinds can become enemies in life.

2) Make sure the landlord is legit and has a proper tenancy agreement for you to sign and keep a copy.

3)Don't choose a bedroom next to the bathroom

4) Having a cleaning roster for house mates to follow is essential unless you're happy cleaning up after people or hiding old pants and coffee cups from any visiting ladies..

5)If renting through an agency (normally the best option) be sure to do your homework on their comission fees, google their name and see if people have had bad experience with them, many agencys charge high fees and are crap at actually sorting out things whne they go wrong.

Apart from checking basics like plumbing, electrics in the house (an agency would take care of this for you) there aint much i can think of to advise you on. Just be careful about the people who live in the house. The only problem with shared houses is that if its owned by a landlord when someone cool moves out a right twat can move in after..

__
My Sounds
21-12-2008 17:54
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Greyone
i'm looking for a house that holds 5 bedrooms and is still afordable. This way we can work and live on our own , away from the parental place.

Finding a pleasant and affordable house with 5 bedrooms sounds like a very difficult task. Why 5? You'd probably have more luck with a 3 bedroom house. Also, you'll probably have to be flexible on a few things to give yourself the best chance of finding somewhere nice to live. It's usually very difficult to find somewhere that ticks every single box.

Here's what I recommend you do as soon as possible...

Firstly, work out how much you can afford and where the money will come from. Be realistic and don't over-stretch your budget because there's nothing worst than getting kicked out because you haven't paid the rent.

Next, you need to write down a list of essential requirements for your house/apartment (i.e., must have at least 2 bedrooms, must be within a certain area, must not exceed a certain price, etc) and also write down a list of non-essential things - the things you'd like but can comprise on (i.e., a garden, a driveway, outside storage space like a garage).

After that, you need to get in touch with some renting agencies. Tell them how much you can afford and what you want and they'll be able to advise you on what's available. Obviously, you also need to keep an eye on the local renting adverts within the area you want to move to and keep doing internet searches too.

Are you wanting to move to an area with a high student population? If so, you'll probably find it offers much more choice in terms of finding somewhere suitable.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
21-12-2008 17:54 Homepage of Tomos
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

lol - simultaneous posting!

__
My Sounds
21-12-2008 17:56
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Glim
lol - simultaneous posting!

lol. Ya beat me to it!

__
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
21-12-2008 17:57 Homepage of Tomos
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

definately make sure u don't end up with a dodgy landlord!!! my one at uni was a right arsehole stole our bank details!!!

__

21-12-2008 17:59 Homepage of Ketz
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks for the brilliant tips Smile !!

yeah with 5 or 3 persons , and in a high student populated city : Ghent
i would do a temporary job or a job with chance for long-term.
I know i have to discus and plan this thing very good , but some people allso say , don't talk about it , do it ! but for me it isn't that axiomatically (what a word !)
21-12-2008 20:03
Glim Glim is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

Its cool, as Tomos pointed out, its difficult to get a place that is exactly what you're looking for, you do have to compromise and if you sit around waiting for the 'perfect' opportunity to come along then you'll probably never do it.

You're right to just go for it, a little planning in advance can save you alot of shit to deal with later on down the road my friend!

Good Luck

Big Grin

__
My Sounds
21-12-2008 20:17
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

oh i forgot to give you another tip from my own personal experience - don't grow copious amounts of ganja in ur basement!!!! Foei Spliff Big Grin

__

22-12-2008 10:55 Homepage of Ketz
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

In Ghent they have the wost housing in the entire country because most of it is extremly old. But then again, you will be able to find some place for your needs there and it is a pretty nice place to be.

If you know some people who are living together like this you might as well have a chat with them concerning the official side of things. They'll know best what can go wrong (especially in the Belgian situation).
Some things to make sure about BEFORE you actually do it...
What happens when someone wants to get out;
What happens if everyone (except 1 person) wants someone (that one person) to leave;
Make clear rules about inviting chicks, house parties,...
get your own fridge because with 5 people involved it will be bigtime "borrowing".

The biggest problem is cleaning bathroom, kitchen, hallways, ... The best solution would be to choose 1 person to do it all the time and let him/her pay less rent. If each person has to take turns you'll have a lot of discussions going on about it.
Also silly things like making sure there still is toilet paper available can cause pretty mean discussions.

The more people involved, the bigger the risk for problems. 5 is a lot!

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-12-2008 12:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

hehe Big Grin

I'm looking forward to it , now i'm saving a bit money first , in the meantime making some people warm to join us (me and a girlfriend) , when we find 3 other interested persons things can get started. Drummer Big Grin
22-12-2008 13:40
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

look into getting a cleaning person that all 5 of you can share the cost for.

i have lived with 5 friends. we had a rule, no girls living in the house. you have already violated that rule. good luck hope she's not a drama queen.

the cleaning is the worest. just get a pro to do it, it's not tha tbad for them toc ome in once a week, and you guys just split a bill 5 ways.

also if you can, limit the dishes.

and get a small mini-fridge. or a shelf/bookcase to use as a pantry. it'll help.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 22-12-2008 17:04.

22-12-2008 16:59 Homepage of Halph-Price
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

use paper plates and plastic cutlery Big Grin saves washing up

__

22-12-2008 17:27 Homepage of Ketz
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz

who buys them? we had to alternate on getting toilet paper. even that's a hassle. you gotta make sure they get at least a 12 pack of TP. to be honest you normally get in fights somewhere. any added stress doesn't help. cleaning was the biggest, next to dishes, but eventually i just did the dishes up if i had time when i saw them. it helps. makes you look good. but you get sooooooo mad. you just want to punch everyone.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

22-12-2008 17:43 Homepage of Halph-Price
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz

Or eat straight from the tin. As long as you like beans, you have a tin opener and you know how to pour beans straight from the tin into your gob, your dinners will be sorted no problem.

Big Grin

__
22-12-2008 18:36 Homepage of Tomos
Airfull Airfull is a female
Sexy Lady

images/avatars/avatar-24.jpg

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

3 or 5 no big deal!
The bigger the house...the cheaper it get's to share!
Like 1000euro's for a villa with 5 rooms..... still only 200euro when u rent 5!

Be fast......when u c a nice house don't hesitate to check it out en to take 'an option' on it. Later on you still can cancell it.

make 'a pot' for the extra's....(water/elektricity...) when u have extra at the end of the year;;;throw a party and invite me Tongue

__

ONE BULLET? TWO BULLETS? THE THIRT ONE IS THROUGH MY HEAD!
22-12-2008 18:46
Airfull Airfull is a female
Sexy Lady

images/avatars/avatar-24.jpg

Registration Date: 09-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

house

just for an example Tongue

__

ONE BULLET? TWO BULLETS? THE THIRT ONE IS THROUGH MY HEAD!
22-12-2008 18:50
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Airfull
house

just for an example Tongue

OMG Big Grin looks awesome !

i cant wait , yeah we have to be fast with such things , thanks for the Tips'n'Trickz !
22-12-2008 20:44
Master Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

tss , my father after hearing that i want to move out the parental house: "have you completely lost your mind , what is wrong with you , what do you need more ?, are we bad parents to you ? , who the fuck do you think u are , u will end up on street , blabla "

Roll Eyes

now he's a bit calmer but what the fuck Big Grin i didn't expect that , my mom just said "ok" Big Grin

Anyway i'm old enough to know how hard and expensive life is , its just stupid to hear that discouraging nagging. And i'm still young enough to dream about a cool life , instead of talking shit about the big bad world. Its (almost) 2009 for god's sake ..not '79
23-12-2008 21:16
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

hey, if you can go on even after being told not to, then you're resolved, and that will help.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-12-2008 21:22 Homepage of Halph-Price
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » I Want To Rent A House With Friends