drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » one change in the voting system !!
Go to the bottom of this page one change in the voting system !!
Author
unregistered
i was just wondering , well hoping Smile , that the SHAKE FACTOR vote should be taken off the voting system , as not only me but other producers should not be penilised 4 our tracks iver being inteligent or deep !!!!! there is so much drum and bass made that is not a dancefloor jump up tune , and that vote should not go against all the producers on this site that make such tracks , so if u agree with me please say and maybe we might not have something go against us when we upload our music !!!!! im sure this makes sence , and i know theres quite alot of tunes that i upload that r quite deep , it would not be fair to have a vote that would go against my overall score Smile !!!!!

anyway hope u agreeBig Grin Big Grin Big Grin !!!!!!!!!!
12-12-2008 19:32
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

Aye, Aye Man with almost the same last name as moi.

Fuck Jump up.

HaHa Big Grin

You know as much as I like the intelligent dnb as opposed to the cheesy dancefloor tracks I think it would fuck the ratings of all the tunes that have been voted previously using that one so I don't think it would be the best of ideas to remove it altogether.

I wanted to remove all the old votes on AF to start over with the new music system but I decided against it as it would leave my db in a sorry state.

eZ.

__

12-12-2008 20:34 Homepage of Sentinel
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

It only counts for 5% of the total score, only thing lower is originality (2%).

ATM the balance is like this (in order of importance)
  1. Overall production quality (22.5%)
  2. Balance (12.5%)
    Frequency spectrum / EQ (12.5%)
  3. Structure / buildup (10%)
    Melodies (10%)
  4. Stereo image / phase (9%)
    Use of effects / compression (9%)
  5. Mastering (7.5%)
  6. Danceability (5%)
  7. Originality (2%)

And in case you want to know, the chance that this will change is very slim, while the voting system was being built this has been discussed over and over by everyone who was interested and it has been refined over a period of several months.

This is also the reason the Overall production quality has 7 votes instead of 5 like the rest, because it has the most weight in the calculation it needs to be finer grained, 5 votes was not precise enough.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
15-12-2008 01:33 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

A lot of voters put their personal taste into "overall production quality" so a great track (from a technical point of view) could be voted to death because it doesn't fit into the taste of the masses.

I agree on the shake factor also giving good scores to bad tunes that are aiming hard for the dancefloor and more ambient-ish relaxed tunes fail on this aspect.
Maybe this aspect should be called "flow" in other words, does the whole thing feel like one good balanced story where the rhythm feels like a guide or is it a mishmash of patterns that clash quite often and stop you from nodding your head or would just confuse a dancing crowd.

In my opinion mastering and originality should have more weight.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
15-12-2008 09:02 Homepage of BattleDrone
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

HaHa.

What Mr BD said Big Grin Shakeshark

( ) - ( everyone wants one of those on they forums. Big Grin )

eZ.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sentinel: 15-12-2008 10:19.

15-12-2008 10:14 Homepage of Sentinel
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

hmmm tricky one really as its much easier to "quantify" a good track on a technical level - much easier to rate how well produced a track is than say rate how good the "vibe" and "feel" are - as those are things that vary from person to person with individual tastes.

at the end of the day we are actually asking the question - "what is a good track?" i suppose the obvious answer is a tune that is produced well technically and yet has a good vibe

although this IS a producer support site after all - and taking that into consideration i would agree that technical aspects of production should probably given some more weight as that is really the bread n butter all of us need to know so well if any of us are to make it into the scene (the rest can be judged by the ravers - vibe / feel / etc etc)

__

15-12-2008 13:42 Homepage of Ketz
CLARKFADER
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
A lot of voters put their personal taste into "overall production quality" so a great track (from a technical point of view) could be voted to death because it doesn't fit into the taste of the masses.

I agree on the shake factor also giving good scores to bad tunes that are aiming hard for the dancefloor and more ambient-ish relaxed tunes fail on this aspect.
Maybe this aspect should be called "flow" in other words, does the whole thing feel like one good balanced story where the rhythm feels like a guide or is it a mishmash of patterns that clash quite often and stop you from nodding your head or would just confuse a dancing crowd.

In my opinion mastering and originality should have more weight.

u make great sence mate , that definately sounds better , im always like that with my mixing tunes , uve got to make it into a story , or it just wont sound right !!!

definately should be called flow !!!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by CLARKFADER: 15-12-2008 15:38.

15-12-2008 15:38
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
hmmm tricky one really as its much easier to "quantify" a good track on a technical level - much easier to rate how well produced a track is than say rate how good the "vibe" and "feel" are - as those are things that vary from person to person with individual tastes.

at the end of the day we are actually asking the question - "what is a good track?" i suppose the obvious answer is a tune that is produced well technically and yet has a good vibe

although this IS a producer support site after all - and taking that into consideration i would agree that technical aspects of production should probably given some more weight as that is really the bread n butter all of us need to know so well if any of us are to make it into the scene (the rest can be judged by the ravers - vibe / feel / etc etc)

Agree 100%. Happy

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
15-12-2008 19:02 Homepage of Tomos
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone

Yep, totally agree with that too. Happy

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
15-12-2008 19:06 Homepage of Tomos
CLARKFADER
unregistered
yeah , sounds like the right choice !!! ok tomos Smile , can u check out my dnb mix , in the mixes section , its just a short utube vid mix !!!
15-12-2008 19:17
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

The purpose of music is to dance. It is a quality you'd want, regardless of the music. almost every genre you dance to that music. IDM i mean, even the fucking name has Dance in it. :/ It's hard to make a tune that makes you move.

ultimately, it would come down to mastering, mixing, and song structure. the shake factor is just a generall comment overall. it's hard to rate a song good or bad, without coming from a certain perspective.

danceable music has a predictable structure, good rhythm, and usually, changes it up to help add energy. you could also call it tension and release, in song writing jargon. does it build up and then resolve it self well. that's usually how we look at shake factor in the west. in other countries not as much. like African music which is more circular, not as linear.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 19-12-2008 16:24.

19-12-2008 16:19 Homepage of Halph-Price
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
The purpose of music is to dance.

not necassarily true, ur actually making a generalisation of what everyone wants from music, thats really down to each and every one of us as individuals. even tho most dnb is focused for the dancefloor not all of it is, especially the dnb that is not for the purists - like nitin sawhney, talvin singh etc i would say is more targetted towards easy listening

__

19-12-2008 17:54 Homepage of Ketz
CLARKFADER
unregistered
quote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhh
hhhhhhh Huh !!!!!!!

the pure purpose of music , is to make u feel good , full stop !!! dancing or no dancing , music is 4 pleasure Big Grin , whether it is 4 dancing or just being in ur house chilling out Spliff , music is there to make u loose ur self from reallity , which i have done many a time Booze Listen Spliff !!! im sure 2 - 300 years ago when the old classical music compossers were playing their emotional , passionate works of art , there purpose of making and playing the music was to get people to get up and dance Dance Dance Dance , no no no Foei , it was so people can feel and enjoy the creations that they have made , i love music which ever way sitting standing dancing , and when u get to my age u start to really appreciate slower more emotional music , i used to just like heavy fast music , but now i still love that stuff , but i can find pleasure in many more forms of music !!!!!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by CLARKFADER: 19-12-2008 19:01.

19-12-2008 19:00
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by CLARKFADER
quote:

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhh
hhhhhhh Huh !!!!!!!

the pure purpose of music , is to make u feel good , full stop !!! dancing or no dancing , music is 4 pleasure Big Grin , whether it is 4 dancing or just being in ur house chilling out Spliff , music is there to make u loose ur self from reallity , which i have done many a time Booze Listen Spliff !!! im sure 2 - 300 years ago when the old classical music compossers were playing their emotional , passionate works of art , there purpose of making and playing the music was to get people to get up and dance Dance Dance Dance , no no no Foei , it was so people can feel and enjoy the creations that they have made , i love music which ever way sitting standing dancing , and when u get to my age u start to really appreciate slower more emotional music , i used to just like heavy fast music , but now i still love that stuff , but i can find pleasure in many more forms of music !!!!!

Bigup

Old git Big Grin

__

20-12-2008 00:31 Homepage of Sentinel
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » one change in the voting system !!