drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Scientific approach on the Amen Break
Go to the bottom of this page Scientific approach on the Amen Break
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

According to this (pseudo)scientific approach the Amen Break is quite special and science seems to have an answer on why we like it so much.
Is this far fetched? Is it a coincidence? Or is it mathematical proof?

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
10-12-2008 12:51 Homepage of BattleDrone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Might have some connection, but I believe it's purely coincidental - no any natural 'gold ratio' involved. Looks like a quasi-math, to be frank Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-12-2008 13:22 Homepage of Muad'Dib
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

IMO it's a load of Roll Eyes

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
10-12-2008 13:22 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
IMO it's a load of Roll Eyes

You mean...

__
10-12-2008 13:27 Homepage of BattleDrone
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

thats some crazy shit that is!! i enjoyed the video on there aswell.
10-12-2008 13:34
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

to be honest, the Golden Ratio he talks about dictates our lives more then you know. of all the "organic" feeling stuff, the golden ratio is the peak. almost all of life and humans too are created with the golden ratio. 1:1.6 roughly. makes up the length of your arms to your forearms, and all that bunk.

it does seem to make sense

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-12-2008 14:56 Homepage of Halph-Price
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, it might be the infinite nature of Mandelbrot fractals which describe that "Golden Ratio", which is dictated by the natural growth of the zygot into a full organism (gene translation) but I disbelieve that it should be called golden ratio and that it applies universally.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
10-12-2008 15:07 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

ok, the golden ratio dictates what beauty is. with model their face fallows the proportions of the golden ratio, they have constructed entire masks that show the "perfect face" or the "perfect body" and it's found, usually that these supermodels follow this, or movie stars. they never follow it exactly, but usually the parts they don't follow accent cretin features that still add to their beauty. i.e. high cheek bones.

so without knowing it, humans are drawn to the golden ratio.

quote:
Adolf Zeising, whose main interests were mathematics and philosophy, found the golden ratio expressed in the arrangement of branches along the stems of plants and of veins in leaves. He extended his research to the skeletons of animals and the branchings of their veins and nerves, to the proportions of chemical compounds and the geometry of crystals, even to the use of proportion in artistic endeavors. In these phenomena he saw the golden ratio operating as a universal law

not just humans, and music, but in nature, and in trees, and it's really such a major ratio because so many branches of science have it in exsistance, and if you never heard of the Golden Ratio before then your math teacher failed you, your science teach failed you, your biology teacher failed you, your art teacher failed, you your physics teacher failed you.

and that amen break follows it close, for sure.

following the humans body conformity to the golden ratio it even shows. but it goes down to the microscopic level. it's so cool.

it's not JUST about following the ratio, but also about what parts DON'T follow the ratio. like i said before movie actors that don't follow the ratio perfectly, thier parts that don't, adds character. and you just know it when you see it.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 11-12-2008 22:46.

10-12-2008 15:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
Lejitt Lejitt is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 17-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
fukin hell, LOL
11-12-2008 21:32
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
it's not JUST about following the ratio, but also about what parts DON'T follow the ratio. like i said before movie actors that don't follow the ratio perfectly, thier parts that don't, adds character. and you just know it when you see it.

Well, not to disqualify the whole 'golden ratio science', but that frankly sounds like a quasi-science.
Scientology Big Grin heheh

__

-Bene Gesserit
12-12-2008 03:34 Homepage of Muad'Dib
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Which part of the break are they using? It looks to me like they've just chopped a section to fit with their theory, and if that's the case I bet loads of breaks can be made to fit the golden ratio...
12-12-2008 11:04
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
it's not JUST about following the ratio, but also about what parts DON'T follow the ratio. like i said before movie actors that don't follow the ratio perfectly, their parts that don't, adds character. and you just know it when you see it.

Well, not to disqualify the whole 'golden ratio science', but that frankly sounds like a quasi-science.
Scientology Big Grin heheh

quote:

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
The golden ratio is a mathematical constant, approximately 1.6180339887.[1]

it's been over 2400 years that this has been known

by da vinci, showing the golden ratio done to explain so much in this picture. this was the same drawing sent out in space on probes it has such deep meaning of humanity. it shows measurement and length and the consistence of rulers length even to this day.

quote:

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man
The multiple viewpoint that set in with Romanticism has convinced us that there is no such thing as a universal set of proportions for the human body. The field of anthropometry was created in order to describe these individual variations. Vitruvius' statements may be interpreted as statements about average proportions.

showing that the 1:1.61 ratio helped us get the average of a constant of measurements. it's not an exact science, but it does show an average. it's not showing how each of are made, but it does show there was a basic blueprint that dictated not just how humans were made but most plant life and most life form.

THIS WAS ALL KNOWN BEFORE THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.

The drawing itself is often used as an implied symbol of the essential symmetry of the human body, and by extension, to the universe as a whole.

so it only leads to conclusion that the "groove" that you hear in the amen, even when sped up sounds great, because that constant of the golden ratio is still heard. it's not that he picked a random section of the break, but the first and second bar. the third and fourth bar are not even as popular. he even shows the audio clip next to a human body, i have read audio clips all the time, that looks like the amen.

i am surprised you guys never heard of this...

it's funny you mention Scientology too, cuz the actor i remember hearing an example about high cheek bones is Tom Cruise. claudia schiffer, she has a face that is almost perfect to the golden ratio "mask" of the face. JUST ODD SHE'S CONSIDERED HOT AS WELL.

this is a mathematical constant with it's own symbol. probably as old as Pi. even at that long ago age not much changes in math. there's no group that tries to disprove the use of the Golden Ratio. it's as solid as Pi. there's more examples of Golden Ratio then you would know where to look. it's solid.

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE MATHEMATICAL EQUATION.

it blew my mind when i found out about this in science class. by the head of our science department, none the less. the calculus/physics teacher. like, this is not a crack cult.

whatever, dis-believe, there's evidence of it EVERYWHERE.

i can't say anything else other then just Wikipedia it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

there is no conspiracy, there is no cult, there is no magic, there is no voodoo, no devil worship, although the 5 point star does show the golden ratio in it too... some say it proves a god made us, other just say it proves evolution. so really it just is.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 12-12-2008 16:07.

12-12-2008 15:39 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I think the Golden ratio has nothing to do with it because we also like the amen when it has been sliced and rearranged or? Where would breakcore be with the Golden ratio in mind?

It is the groovyness, the crunchyness and the versatility that give the amen its power. The amen is to DnB what a Roland TB303 is to Acid house. You can do without, but it is so much easier with.

__
12-12-2008 15:53 Homepage of BattleDrone
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

it's "groovyness" is consistent is the golden ratio is what the article said, if you even read it.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 12-12-2008 16:10.

12-12-2008 16:09 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Music theorists often use mathematics to understand musical structure and communicate new ways of hearing music. This has led to musical applications of set theory, abstract algebra, and number theory. Music scholars have also used mathematics to understand musical scales, and some composers have incorporated the Golden ratio and Fibonacci numbers into their work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

there is a relativity. if i can make the analogy of evolution, you can see the evidence of it and just say, no it's something more divine then can be explained with any logic or reason. that Amen break is so great goes BEYOND mere words or logic or reason. it's something that only those with superhuman ability could Divine. to think us mere mortals would ever see the patterns of the gods is to spit in the faces of those gods? i dunno, that sounds a bit much.

but music is math. it's probably the truest purest application of math there is. hence why in the movie Encounters of the third kind, they used music to try to contact other life forms. it's a constant. it's mathematical. it's energy.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 12-12-2008 19:13.

12-12-2008 19:08 Homepage of Halph-Price
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
it's not that he picked a random section of the break, but the first and second bar

I've chopped a few amens up in my time and it doesn't look anything like the first two bars to me.

I think it looks much more like the last two bars, minus the first one and a half kicks, the second from last hit is the crash in the 4th bar.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by selig: 12-12-2008 22:02.

12-12-2008 21:30
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Dude, I completely understand the Golden ratio, but I don't understand your obsession with it.
It is a classical example of an irrational number. Like Pi.
Starting from 1, the inverse calculation of Golden ratio gives a perfect Fibonacci sequence, which, represented on a coordinate system, gives a fractal (which I pointed in a previous post). Alriiiiight, so we discovered that math is united.

Frankly, I don't like Claudia Schiffer that much. She's too plastic for me. And scientologists are idiots. Period.

The thing is, you can find any combination of any numbers, symbols, sounds anywhere because the universe seems to be infinite, thus you have infinite ways to prove appearance and "lawfulness" of your combination of these things, but that still doesn't prove you're right about that combination, it proves the universe has a common denominator. A basic building block, which is uniform.

And, if you read more carefully about music theory and chord building, you would have saw that todays' notes and chords follow mathematical definition of chords CLOSELY, but NOT EXACTLY.

quote:
quote from: Jeff's music theory page
How do we have a playable number of physical keys on the piano keyboard, but still be able to modulate into any musical key and have the chords harmonically correct? Well, we can't. We have to weaken the last condition to having the chords almost harmonically correct. To do this, we divide the octave up into 12 equally spaced seqments (called the chromatic scale). It is the fact that the divisions are equal that enables all musical keys to equally accessible. The reason for the choice of the number 12 is that the note locations that we will end up with will pretty closely approximate the pitch ratios of the JI scale (to do significantly better requires many more chromatic scale steps).

Which also comes in handy when explaining the influence of irrational numbers in everything, thus also in music theory.

__

-Bene Gesserit
13-12-2008 01:58 Homepage of Muad'Dib
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

This is all very well, but he's using the picture from wikipedia when you search 'amen break'
He may have some crazy theory on it but his source material consists of the last two bars of the break, with the first half of the first kick cut off...

(Yes i was sad enough to compare waveforms)

I have my own theory which I'm sure many people will agree on:
It has a nice chunky room ambience and soft tape saturation giving it a big meaty beat, while the ride cymbal fills out the top end... very few good acoustic breaks seem to have rides in them and I think the fact that the amen has a nice wide spectrum of frequencies makes it appealing Big Grin

__
My Myspace
14-12-2008 02:57
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by selig
quote:
it's not that he picked a random section of the break, but the first and second bar

I've chopped a few amens up in my time and it doesn't look anything like the first two bars to me.

I think it looks much more like the last two bars, minus the first one and a half kicks, the second from last hit is the crash in the 4th bar.

I suppose i should read all the posts in a thread before pointing something out D:

__
My Myspace
14-12-2008 02:58
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by PLaGuE CeLL
This is all very well, but he's using the picture from wikipedia when you search 'amen break'
He may have some crazy theory on it but his source material consists of the last two bars of the break, with the first half of the first kick cut off...

(Yes i was sad enough to compare waveforms)

Yeah I compared them as well and I was like "bahaa then it's based on nothing really"
But actually it is, since the ratios remain lol

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
14-12-2008 11:29 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Scientific approach on the Amen Break