drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » sub or no sub?
Go to the bottom of this page sub or no sub?
Author
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i have a pair of krk rp5's at the moment but im having trouble monitoring the low end because of the size of them. should i buy the rp10 sub for £300 or just upgrade to the rp8's for about £400. is there any pros and cons to these 2 set ups is what i really want to know???
07-12-2008 12:05
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

So what you are saying is that you have issues hearing the very low end in your mix like below 50 herz?

If you want to, you should go for the subwoofer as the KRK RP8s won’t be able to make frequencies in this range more hearable then the ones you’ve got right now I think.
But why would you want to tweak sounds in a frequency range that 80 percent of all people can’t hear anyway?

Or is your problem that due to the little membrane of your monitors your bass is not audible enough and you cannot really work it?

I had quite the same problem I remember. I solved it by boosting the low end in the eq of my mixer to a specific value what worked great for me. I kept that setting, got used to it and have now no troubles with a badly hearable low end no more.

Hope I could help a bit.
07-12-2008 14:33 Homepage of Gregg
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

i'd try this:
solo your subbass-track and lo-cut it until the sub is barely audible. By doing this, you'll at least know that you're working without the sub cluttering all the low-end So in theory, your normal basses, kicks and so on will sound clean (if you have mixed
them properly)

And then for accurate subbass-monitoring, i'd say work with good headphones (far from the best solution), or buy that sub you were talking about. MIND YOU: having a sub means adjusting your whole studio setup. The positioning of the sub and it's level/volume are your first priority!! It's very easy for an extra sub to give you the boost and the oomphf and all that, but mixing-wise it's a dangerous add-on.
So cross-reference it with decent/professional tracks you're familiar with.

If you decide to go for the bigger krk's, make sure you can test them properly at the shop

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
07-12-2008 17:43 Homepage of Soi
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

I'll give you 3 reasons.

1) sub is .1 of the sound.

2) you DO NOT MIX with a sub. you just don't. sub is for music you enjoy, there's no translations of how that same mix will sound int eh club, or on iPod.

3) if you know how your speakers sound you'll be fine. sub is about feel, not as much about tone. the actual tones of sub comes from higher harmonics, that aren't sub.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

07-12-2008 18:54 Homepage of Halph-Price
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
[3) if you know how your speakers sound you'll be fine. sub is about feel, not as much about tone. the actual tones of sub comes from higher harmonics, that aren't sub.

that makes complete sense!!!

i might just stick with rp5,s and spend the cash on summit else
07-12-2008 21:49
Acoustiks Acoustiks is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2700.gif

Registration Date: 28-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

This is weird. I always mix with my subwoofer on. Funny thing is, it's home built and tuned.

My monitors just cannot reproduce the bass frequencies needed (Resolv 40a Crying ). I guess in a certain sense, it's a good thing. Plus, I always make sure my bass is audible on lower end systems.

Sure, it's dodgy, but I've grown custom to it. I think my mixes sound pretty good. Happy

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Acoustiks: 08-12-2008 06:59.

08-12-2008 06:58
str8 outa nocash

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah man your mix,s sounds pro. just listened to your latest up and it sounds good, ill review it when i get home. i guess its just getting used to your set-up and knowing how your mix is going to sound on other systems.
08-12-2008 09:04
Acoustiks Acoustiks is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2700.gif

Registration Date: 28-06-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Thanks Big Grin .

Yeah, practice, practice, and practice!
08-12-2008 21:07
KZSS
Producer

Registration Date: 23-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Not sure if anyone else does this but when i'm working on a subline i usually play it an octave higher to get the melody right / in tune with synths and then just drop it back down when done.
I find this helps it sit better.

__
KZSS

www.myspace.com/kzss

www.myspace.com/mindsaw

www.myspace.com/ammunitionrecordings
08-12-2008 23:35 Homepage of KZSS
str8 outa nocash

Helpfulness rating: 

ill give it a go Bigup
09-12-2008 07:45
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

yeah i think its worth trying to take a simple approach to sub, at the end of the day its not a very complicated conept (unlike other elements in dnb such as mid basses etc)

there is so only much room for creativity with subs, at the end of the day it is just a single sine wave (albeit with some processing) - don't let it confuse you as like i said it is a pretty straight forward and simple concept at the end fo the day Bigup

__

09-12-2008 10:50 Homepage of Ketz
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by KZSS
Not sure if anyone else does this but when i'm working on a subline i usually play it an octave higher to get the melody right / in tune with synths and then just drop it back down when done.
I find this helps it sit better.

Yeah, I'm using the same tactic. Good thing, btw.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-12-2008 12:32 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

check out the sub focus vid in computer music few months back.....he gives some goof advice on using your hand to detect if theres any increases in the sub in the movement of the cone, you can get your compressor readyp (+ a midi controller if ya got one) and leave your fingers on the speaker then tweak the compressor until the sub bass is nice and consistant through the speaker cone...

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
09-12-2008 12:54 Homepage of Sephiroth
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by the moneyshot
quote:
[3) if you know how your speakers sound you'll be fine. sub is about feel, not as much about tone. the actual tones of sub comes from higher harmonics, that aren't sub.

that makes complete sense!!!

i might just stick with rp5,s and spend the cash on summit else

ive got the same speakers and they are lacking in sub, but if your mixing with nearfield monitors you should be sat close to the speakers anyway, no need for a sub when your mixing with nearfields (proximity effect etc) - only really need a sub when mixing as an alternate monitoring reference or if your mixing in 5.1/ 6.1/ 7.1/ whatever its up to these days (10.2 while i was at uni)....a sub will prob just cause you to under-compensate for your bass levels leaving your mix sounding too light in the low end..... Drummer

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
09-12-2008 12:58 Homepage of Sephiroth
str8 outa nocash

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks for the advice guys all sounds good. glad i asked before i went and got the sub. how close do you have your rp5's, mine are about a 80cm away at head height. is that close enough??
09-12-2008 14:27
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » sub or no sub?