drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bass Heavy...
Go to the bottom of this page Bass Heavy...
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2766.jpg

Registration Date: 07-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Bass Heavy...

So a lot of my tracks are bass heavy but I can't tell because my monitors are wharfedale pro actives and they have no sub bass.....i only tell by the vibrations....if the bass wobbles its bad...if the bass vibrates nicely its good.....how can you tell if your song is bass heavy...

With a spectrum analyser??? how can you tell........

__
RESPEKT to the jungle massive

http://www.myspace.com/djmisshin
07-12-2008 10:46
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

With your ears? Big Grin

It sounds to me like you need to change your monitors because if you can't hear the sub, then that will be a constant stumbling block when it comes to producing dnb.

If you want to use a spectrum analyser, I'd suggest VoxengoSPAN. However, personally, I don't often find spectrum analysers that helpful when it comes to getting a good sound. They only tell you what frequencies are passing through them, they can't actually tell you whether it sounds good or not. I would advise you use your ears more than anything else.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
07-12-2008 11:18 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Use a normal hifi set of speakers for A-B listening.
Listen to your tune in an environment you use often (car radio? ipod?... whatever) you should know the gear and room really well so you know how pro tunes sound there and it enables you to compare your own tunes to the pro tunes and see what's missing/wrong.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
07-12-2008 11:21 Homepage of BattleDrone
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by N-Vee

... my monitors are wharfedale pro actives and they have no sub bass.....i only tell by the vibrations....

It’s quite weird that even though the membrane is vibrating you actually don’t hear any bass…

maybe wrong positioning?

check this and make sure you speakers are placed the way they should be:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/onlineexpert_138_3.html

If this doesn’t help do what tomos and battle drone suggested. And even if it does, the a/b listening with other speakers is always a good idea.
07-12-2008 14:06 Homepage of Gregg
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

if you listen to other music in the same genre, and you can hear a bass wobble, or some sort of sound, it should be good, if it sounds the same in your mix. you can mix using any speakers you just need to have a good understanding of what you're listening too and what it would sound like else where.

This is where having music you know well and can relate too, that is done by other artists usually and is mixed in the same fashion you want. That sub is only .1 of the all the sounds coming out of your speakers. it's either there or it's not. if everything else sounds good, and you know there's bass in it, then you're fine. most mixes don't need a super deep sub bass in it, a) dj's have usually have a basic EQ on their turntables that can crank b) with a sub woofer, any bass is a super deep bass.

You don't hear the sub bass either, you just feel it. so if it's vibrating it's there, make the rest of the mix sound good.

Also you can use a spectrograph or vst's like Inspector. I use that when i am not sure of sound on other systems, it's free and easy to DL on the net.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

07-12-2008 16:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I don’t think you just feel a sub bass. It’s true that the lower it goes the more you start feeling the tone except of hearing it, until it’s totally gone. But if you could just feel it how would you make bass melodies below 90 hertz then? By feeling the tone pitch?

To test it I created a sine wave at around 40 hertz and played that through my subwoofer at a low volume so that I couldn’t feel it in legs or stomach or wherever. I covered my ears and I didn’t hear/feel anything but without the covering I “heard” the bass.

I also though that the ear converts any acoustic noise into neuronal impulses that are send to the acoustic nerve (and are “heard” afterwards).

If I’m wrong please correct me.

Sorry I know it’s Offtopic but I’m eager to know.
07-12-2008 19:51 Homepage of Gregg
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

you do hear the tones, it just the difference with having a subwoof is that you feel it. if he can tell there's 50hz int he mix, it's good enough, any other system will pick it up and make his pants jiggle. just gotta compare it to other music in the same genre. there's also a lot of stuff you can do like HIGH PASS filters, to make the sub more clear in the mix too.

MDA has a good plugin MDA TestTone in their MDA bundle it is a good tool to help test. a lot of times if you're system isn't playing deep bass, it may just bee to low. my headphones stop at 40hz. most usually do, i hearing is said to go to 20hz, but honestly, it doesn't. your sense of hearing tapers at the far ends, teh older you are / the louder the music you listen to.

i have used shitty speakers and once you get a sense of what "good bass" sounds like in them, you just aim for that, look at your meters, and spectograph, and you're more or less clear.

to explain what i mean feel bass, is that bass perception is omnidirectional because the ears don't hear where bass comes from. it is heard like any other note, but since a deep bass sound wave is measured in sizes of up to 40feet, it does make it hard to determine the origin of the sound. just which direction.

this is why you don't mix with a sub woofer. unless you got a room that's over 40feet in length and your sub and speakers are set up 40 feet from every wall. that bass cancellation becomes way bigger with louder sound waves reflecting around the room that literally can folder over 5 times.

to figure the size of sound waves, it's something to do with the speed of sound times the cycle divided by second. i forget, just i know that deep bass sound waves are measured in feet. everything else in smaller, smaller, smaller units.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 07-12-2008 21:38.

07-12-2008 21:30 Homepage of Halph-Price
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Got your point, thx for stating it more detailed.
08-12-2008 19:43 Homepage of Gregg
N-Vee N-Vee is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2766.jpg

Registration Date: 07-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Wow awesome responses...guess this will all start makin sense one day soon.

__
RESPEKT to the jungle massive

http://www.myspace.com/djmisshin
08-12-2008 21:30
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

naw i am totally wrong. you need a sub woofer to hear DnB and dubstep properly. don't really mix with them, but to know if it's sub you need that
there's is a lot of technique used to get that thoand it basically is just high pass filter everything even your bassline and replace it with a sine wave.

i am not gunna ever get a sub, but i still am gunna try to do some dubstep.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 09-12-2008 02:46.

09-12-2008 02:46 Homepage of Halph-Price
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by Gregg
quote:
Originally posted by N-Vee

... my monitors are wharfedale pro actives and they have no sub bass.....i only tell by the vibrations....

It’s quite weird that even though the membrane is vibrating you actually don’t hear any bass…

maybe wrong positioning?

check this and make sure you speakers are placed the way they should be:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/onlineexpert_138_3.html

If this doesn’t help do what tomos and battle drone suggested. And even if it does, the a/b listening with other speakers is always a good idea.

I may be wrong but if the speaker cabinet isn't good enough it can make the sound quality crap even if the diaphragm is going like the clappers

__
My Myspace
15-12-2008 16:53
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bass Heavy...