drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Whats the difference between old and new dnb?
Go to the bottom of this page Whats the difference between old and new dnb?
Author
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hey everybody

what do you reckon the main differences are between new drum and bass and older drum and bass, im talkin about ten years difference.

is it the bass lines? the drums? or what do you reckon?

im always being told my tunes sound like somthing from ten years ago, it dosnt offend me at all i just wanna know why? Big Grin
03-12-2008 16:49
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

hmm hard one to scientifically comment on! Baby but obviously the main change between "old skool" (if we can call stuff 10 years old that!!) and nu skool is obvisouly that technology has come such a long way since then and become accessible to a lot more people..and those who were makin tunes back then are even sicker and more knowledgeable in what they do now!

so i suppose in terms of basses, used to be more about the phat reece sound and some bangin beats but nowadays a lot of neuro producers have taken that a step further and twisted those reece-like sounds into monsters even more extreme.. Devil

i think its a bit of a generalisation but there is a lot more focus on really layered up beats, used to sound much more simple back then (well after jungle i'm talking early dnb now)

and ofcourse so many sub -sub-genres have formed as the music has spread around the world so in terms of style theres soooo much more variety out there nowadays (although i reckon a lot of producers fall into getting locked into one style and just giving that fan base what they want without stepping out into different territory)

i could go on about things getting more "commercial" but thats another story, think i've bored u all enough now Big Grin

__

03-12-2008 19:56 Homepage of Ketz
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

A few more differences to add to Ketz's list...

The older dnb used to be a bit slower and was always more simple. It had a closer connection to the old jungle sound - amen breaks, deep sub, some ragga samples, reeses. They tended to be quieter as well because they weren't as compressed and they weren't walls of sound. Even the big dnb tunes in those days can sound a bit tame these days. Personally, I still love a lot of the old tunes, particularly those on the MetalHeadz label around the late 90s. Those were the tunes that got me wild about dnb in the first place.

Goldie - Innercity Life
Adam F - Circles
LTJ Bukem - Horizons
Roni Size - It's A Jazz Thing
Grooverider - Sinister
Doc Scott - Unofficial Ghost
Dillinja - Armoured D << Killer tune!

These tunes should be fucking mandatory listening to any dnb newcomers. Big Grin

Btw, if you want listen to one of the earliest tunes that started dnb, check We Are I.E. by Lennie De Ice

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
03-12-2008 20:11 Homepage of Tomos
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

we got computers now. simple as that. they allow much more to happen during the song. and with a new music genre, the sky's the limit.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

04-12-2008 23:01 Homepage of Halph-Price
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

This is so true ^^^^

Read an interview with Goldie re the making of Timeless and he said the major creative part of making tunes at that time was the ability to take loops into the atari st and slice them and put them back together however he wanted / heard in his head

Computers have opened that up for the genre

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

04-12-2008 23:59 Homepage of Binary Havoc
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I find the tempo of older stuff is lower and the production is a bit more grungy...

Also if i was to draw a graph of year vs % of tracks using the amen we'd see it decrease :p

I got my fingers crossed for a jungle revival Big Grin

__
My Myspace
05-12-2008 14:30
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by PLaGuE CeLL
Also if i was to draw a graph of year vs % of tracks using the amen we'd see it decrease :p

I got my fingers crossed for a jungle revival Big Grin

well during the jungle era the amen was used in pretty much every tune! Big Grin although still nowadays u get the amen rinsed, just used in different ways, maybe just an 8th bar variation, or hipassed as a layer on the overall beat or some twisted breakcore shizzle that its been chopped up and fucked around with looooads

__

05-12-2008 14:39 Homepage of Ketz
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

quote:
Originally posted by PLaGuE CeLL
I find the tempo of older stuff is lower and the production is a bit more grungy...

This is what I love about older drum & bass. Simpler beats, perhaps less elements in a track, but oh my the sounds that were there.......

I still go mental for old renegade hardware stuff during the armageddon era, old tech itch stuff, xxx recordings, biotic recordings, ed rush & optical during wormhole era etc etc

Much rougher beats, rougher bass & rougher production in general.
20-01-2009 12:11
Niceneasyuk
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-01-2009

First post - Smile !

I completely agree with everybody. It's a popularity - technological matter. The thing with drum n bass growing in the 90's, is that not just the truu natty congo junglists liked it. All kinds of people liked it, leading to all different opinions of music interpretation. Keeping everything at the same tempo allows for the most tunes to be mixed and well pulled off. People have been getting braver and braver to the extent we've got tunes like 'where's my money' etc. On the other hand we've got high contrast adele remix. If you ask anyone what type of music they both are they instantly think drum n bass(regardless of 'sub genre').

I think it's down to record labels, each one seems to do it's thing and like to keep the labels style even though expanding. Which is where you get artists who prefer similer sub genres on the same labels. Fundamentaly liquid is still liquid, jump up is still jump up and ragga-jungle is still ragga-jungle. We've just got two new editions clown-step and tekky drum n bass. With all the styles influencing each other we get the craziest variety of 'dnb'. I fuckin love it tbh

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Niceneasyuk: 23-01-2009 00:45.

23-01-2009 00:43
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

Hi mate, I'm not being rude when i say this but - What!?

Dnb in the 90's was not considered popular by the majority of people, the good dnb was unknown to the mainstream, it was an underground genre of music.

'Where's My Money' doesn't break the boundaries of dnb imo, i wouldn't say its brave mate, many people would consider that tune or tunes like that as 'pants',

I do agree with you when you point out that most people who like dnb like it as a type of music and aren't bothered by the many sub-genres emerging and also Labels tunnel vision attitude to artists releases etc, although this could be a good thing..

Don't be offended by my words its just your post was a little confusing/kryptic.

Welcome to the site mate!!! Smile

__
My Sounds

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Glim: 23-01-2009 01:21.

23-01-2009 01:20
Niceneasyuk
Tourist

I know what i meant.
23-01-2009 05:28
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Glim
Hi mate, I'm not being rude when i say this but - What!?

Dnb in the 90's was not considered popular by the majority of people, the good dnb was unknown to the mainstream, it was an underground genre of music.

'Where's My Money' doesn't break the boundaries of dnb imo, i wouldn't say its brave mate, many people would consider that tune or tunes like that as 'pants',

I do agree with you when you point out that most people who like dnb like it as a type of music and aren't bothered by the many sub-genres emerging and also Labels tunnel vision attitude to artists releases etc, although this could be a good thing..

Don't be offended by my words its just your post was a little confusing/kryptic.

Welcome to the site mate!!! Smile

i agree, i fall asleep listening to it too.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-01-2009 08:42 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Niceneasyuk
I know what i meant.

Getting childish already? Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-01-2009 11:13 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Old tunes relied much more on standards breaks and used to edit them quite a lot.
New tunes layer drums and use less edits throughout the tune.
Old tunes had less "organic" sounding bases it was more like a (selfmade) synth preset or a sample being used. Nowadays there are much more filters, pitching weirdness and routing through mixer channels going on.
In those 90's tunes it was often very obvious where certain samples came from, especially vocals. Dnb didn't have an established ID yet like it has now.

I do like the old tunes though (Metalheadzfan 'till I die), they were more anthem like having a huge impact and it was more important to have a phat dancefloor rocker than to be technically perfect.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
23-01-2009 13:12 Homepage of BattleDrone
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

the older stuff relied on more musical formats

todays stuff ( not all ) is a lot less musically orientated, bad company changed this in a big way with 4 days etc, concentrating more on heavily fx'd synth's

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

23-01-2009 13:39 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Niceneasyuk
Tourist

lmfao maybe Smile .... I was pretty high when i wrote the original thing lol. i just meant with only realy the tempo/breaks defining dnb it allows for all sorts of tunes to be mixed and still be classified as dnb! Which in turn gives producers far more choice in the sense of where they take their tracks! And Wheres my money in my eyes is brave. It's a shit tune. How anyone would release it i do not know, but i'm putting it down to carelessness and balls of steel!... I would have been very aprehensive to do so...

No offence taken, i re-read my statement Tongue ! Good to be hear none the less.
23-01-2009 20:11
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Older Dnb was more creative and less trendy, in the sense that tunes sounded more original when compared to each other

New stuff has much more high end and sounds more crispy, probably due to the prominence of software over hardware and mixing boards...

older stuff uses plain break loops with less layering in there...

older is slower..

has more edits in the drum loops

less emphasis on quality of production

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
25-01-2009 21:01
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

it's interesting, when you listen to the old stuff, it's like old trance muisc, mixed with happy hardcore, and hip hop, at a fast speed. they used teh chipmunk vocals and shit.

now thoes elements you use to define as other generes are mostly gone, dnb has an identity, and people can hear a DnB tune and go "THATS NOT DRUM AND BASS, I DUNNO WHAT IT IS BUT IT'S NOT DRUM AND BASS".

i don't think it's that great of a thing, it's kinda pidgen holding the music, and just making it stale. it's typical, you hear it in tv commercials and that now. just an amen break with a big thick bassline of detuned sawwaves. that's drum and bass. and a lot fo people don't want anything else otehr then a deep sine wave with 2 saw waves, filtered, cranked, and a drum break rocking in the background.

old shit was weird.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 25-01-2009 21:13.

25-01-2009 21:11 Homepage of Halph-Price
Ketz Ketz is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

i have to say the one thing i don't like at all is when i watch a tv prog or an advert and theres some really cheap dnb beat put together used in a very clique way and it comes accross as very condesending from the producers of the show eg there was a chewing gum and about a while back and some annoying "chavs" with big jewellery and the track suite bottoms turn up blastin some dnb only to get blown away by the freshness of the chewing gum Huh - pure stereotypes

also pure misrepresentation imo Big Grin

__

26-01-2009 00:30 Homepage of Ketz
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
also pure misrepresentation imo Big Grin

he would be spitting out the chewing gum if faced with a real bass, no doubt

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
26-01-2009 07:23 Homepage of cynik
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Whats the difference between old and new dnb?