drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Is it legal?
Go to the bottom of this page Is it legal?
Author
Thisisausername Thisisausername is a male
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2604.jpg

Registration Date: 19-05-2008

Is it legal to use the Fl Studio 8 melody loops as a entire song?

Not planning on doing it, but they sound pretty good and I'm curious to know as to wether they are taken from songs or what...
02-12-2008 22:32
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I'm sure its ok to if you are a registered owner of FL

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

02-12-2008 23:08 Homepage of D2o
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

yeh they're royalty free...some of em sound ok but in general i think they're pretty crap.....there are extra packs aswell off fl studio site if your registered plus loads of pacthes for fruity synths.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
02-12-2008 23:34 Homepage of Sephiroth
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by Thisisausername

Not planning on doing it, but they sound pretty good and I'm curious to know as to wether they are taken from songs or what...

There was a very long thread on their forum recently about someone getting in trouble for using one of the loops in a song, IIRC it was called something like "I'm an unwilling pirate", so you might like to check that before you use them.
02-12-2008 23:35
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I strongly suggest staying away from ALL melody loops unless you severely edit them so they are unrecognisable.

Someone created a song with the loop 'Faxing Berlin' and got sued by Deadmau5. Just look up the track "faxing berlin" by deadmau5 and you'll notice there's not much more to the song than the loop... which is his.

Don't use any loop unedited, is basicly what the imageline team responded. Even a drumloop used 'as is' over an entire song could cause problems. Basicly common sense should guide you, after all it's a bit of 'who has money' if you look at people like - what's his name again - Timbaland, he just uses entire songs, pastes a beat and vocals over it and makes millions with it. He never lost a case or paid a penny to the original composers, why? He's got money.

The world isn't fair...

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
03-12-2008 17:01 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by Thisisausername

ya like Ghost said should be ok (but u don't wanna use the whole thing do you?) well ask Tomos - he used a vocal from one of the demo tracks on FL to greeeeeaat use right here:

Tomos - Falling Inside (dubstep-ish)

Now thats what i call making a sample ur own! Bigup

quote:
Originally posted by Rekka
I strongly suggest staying away from ALL melody loops unless you severely edit them so they are unrecognisable.

ya man i agree with u - up to a point as sampling is an artform in its own right and ofcourse its about making a sound ur own but a lot of producers use bits from film scores (J Majik & Wickaman - U Disgust Me - they took a bit off the score of Indiana Jones! Big Grin ) which i don't see a problem with

but cut n paste and ripping off from the original producer ain't cool if its that obvious and the person who is cut n pasting is taking all the glory...booooo lol

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 03-12-2008 17:40.

03-12-2008 17:37 Homepage of Ketz
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
ya like Ghost said should be ok (but u don't wanna use the whole thing do you?) well ask Tomos - he used a vocal from one of the demo tracks on FL to greeeeeaat use

Shhhhhh! Big Grin

Actually, I don't know much about the legal side of using FL samples even tho I use them quite often.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
03-12-2008 19:27 Homepage of Tomos
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Is it legal?