drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Soundcard output spec's
Go to the bottom of this page Soundcard output spec's
Author
Kletsenboem-style

images/avatars/avatar-291.gif

Registration Date: 06-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I'm considering to buy a decent soundcard but still have some doubts about the necessity of some spec's. When I look at the M-audio cards the cheaper ones have unbalanced outputs and their output power is switchable between -10dBV and something they call "consumer"(about 0dBV). The more expensive ones have balanced outputs and an output power of +4dBV. I know that most active monitors accept 2 sorts of signals, -10dBV and +4dBV.
Can anyone give me some advise (based on experience maybe) on the following: 1) has a +4dBV output signal much less trouble with noise than a -10dBV signal, or does it have other benefits? 2) If you separate your audio cables from other cables (certainly separate from the wires that deliver current) and your audio cable is not too long (so not too much antenna effect). Has the balanced version in that case much benefit compared to the unbalanced version?
02-03-2004 20:49
Akura Akura is a male
Kletsenboem-style

Helpfulness rating: 

I've just read an article where the use of shielded (unbalanced) cables is tested. article link
Anyone who knows how big the difference between shielded and balanced cables is?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Akura: 02-03-2004 21:05.

02-03-2004 21:04
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Signal cables are normally always shielded, as opposite to speaker cables. Balanced signal cables are always shielded too. Using unshielded cable for line level signals is a very bad idea.

You should ALWAYS go for balanced cables since unbalanced cables are very susceptible to noise. Balanced cables carry the signal on two wires (+ and -) and the two signals are subtracted from eachother, effectively cancelling out the noise. When you use balanced cables you generally don't have to worry about noise. You do need gear with balanced ins and outs ofcourse, or it doesn't work Big Grin
The difference is really immense, I never use unbalanced cables anymore and I don't even buy gear that has no balanced ins and outs!!

Stay away from anything with cinch (RCA) connectors!! Big Grin

The voltages are just different standards, -10dBV is the consumer ('hifi') standard, and +4dBu is the pro standard. Just some thing that dates back from ages ago. Not much difference in quality (at least not from the point of view of the cable Big Grin ) but you'll find that gear that uses +4dBu is generally better since it is designed for the pro market rather than for the average hifi Wink

If you want to go by the specs there is much more to it than just the operating voltage BTW.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
13-03-2004 01:08 Homepage of thechronic
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

BTW on the link you posted: I'd heartily recommend Belden cable too, be it for unbalanced or balanced cables. It is really good cable and you can get it in a lot of different varieties, but it's very expensive Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
13-03-2004 01:11 Homepage of thechronic
Akura Akura is a male
Kletsenboem-style

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks for the advise P. I bought the M-Audio delta 44 so I have balanced in's and out's. Big Grin
Won't be able to hear much difference for the moment thou because I still have to wait for my monitor boxes to arrive. BTW: Some advise for anyone wanting to buy something at Piens (audiogear-shop), don't buy it there. I ordered some monitors over there and when I arrived to pick them up they were already sold to another person. Then they tried to sell me some 2nd hand monitors for a price twice as high as the price they costed new!!! The same day they tried to sell me my M-audio card for a higher price then what's listed on their site... Really fucked up things over there if you ask me.

(Ah well sorry for the frustrated message but it makes me feel a bit happier if I can help someone not falling for those cheap tricks).
14-03-2004 02:39
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Yeah, that sucks man

Anyone intrested in some ¤3000 (price new: ¤6000) monitors? They kick major ass!!! Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-03-2004 20:03 Homepage of Surya
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

If I had that much money I would probably be interested, but me don't got that much cash Frown

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
20-03-2004 11:38 Homepage of djfreemc
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Same here unfortunatly Frown

__