drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Playing with vocals
Go to the bottom of this page Playing with vocals
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 23-01-2008

Hey all.

So, I got this smooth pack of vocals. Hooks n phares...

The problem is that I have never worked with vocals before.
What do I need to play with them?

Atm vocals sounds so ...Outsider? Like it doesn't even fit. Its like really loud and I can't change that fact by volume (kheh, but I know that volume is not the key to success in this case. Smile

Dear drummers, what should I start to practice to conquer the next goal?

Peace out, dn_nb
12-11-2008 20:46
Krisch Krisch is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2727.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

Mate if something is too loud then volume is the key if you want to change that fact Smile Anyway You need to apply some effects to your vocals eg. reverb, distortion or whatever. Effects could help getting the vocals fit with the rest of the mix. Compression is also can be useful. You should experiment until you get something you happy with.
Ez
12-11-2008 21:29 Homepage of Krisch
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

try playing with a vocoder Happy

__

12-11-2008 21:40 Homepage of Ketz
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Ez mate, I think the key is to know what effects to put on and in what order in the channel. A good tip is to go onto an accapella site and listen to a few. Is anyone else surprised by how much of the effects are not 'evident' in the final mix and are used purely just to get the vocal to gel into the mix?! Try also setting up two sends, one with reverb and one with delay. This means that the delay won't be reverberated and the reverb wont be delayed.. keeps things un-muddy and can really help in finding that perfect mix placement for the vocals.

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
12-11-2008 23:58 Homepage of c_ctrl
DaMann DaMann is a male

Registration Date: 10-11-2008

Reverb and delay are most commonly used for vocals, and in dnb use distortion, just some fuzz or overdrive, or if your crazy granulize it. Make sure it is the right key also =D.

-DaMann
13-11-2008 02:37 Homepage of DaMann
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by DaMann
Reverb and delay are most commonly used for vocals, and in dnb use distortion, just some fuzz or overdrive, or if your crazy granulize it. Make sure it is the right key also =D.

-DaMann

Granulized accapellas Love I've just been getting to know Reaktor at a mates studio and the stuff you can do with vocals on some of the ensembles are awesome. Already got a tune in progress based around one.

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
13-11-2008 03:45 Homepage of c_ctrl
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Some atmospheric vocals can get a very nice effect by using reverb and playing the wet (reverbed) signal at 100% and the dry signal at 10% the vocal will be very dreamy and a tad less clear and pressent, more pad-like.
I also like to have a second version of the vocal which is played one octave higher (but at same speed --> timestretching) at low volume it adds a slight robotic alien touch to the vocal.
Chorus effect can be nice too.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
13-11-2008 13:30 Homepage of BattleDrone
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Playing with vocals