drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » 1977: the track that defined modern dance music
Go to the bottom of this page 1977: the track that defined modern dance music
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Donna Summer - I Feel Love, released in 1977 (check wikipedia article containing an audio clip here, full track with contemporary video clips edited on top here).

I heard this track on the radio today and looked it up because I was intrigued by it. I remember this from way back in my childhood, but it has a very modern sound to it.

Apparently this was the first fully electronically produced club track, inspired by pioneering work by Kraftwerk and an international #1 hit.

It has the works: 4/4 kick with alternating hihats, repeating bassline and lead, nice vocal hook, and some very cool LP filtering and ADSR tweaking on the lead melody. This was completely ground breaking at the time, and it defined dance music for decades to come. Amazing, this is over 30 years old!!

some quotes from the wikipedia article:
quote:
Before "I Feel Love", most disco recordings were backed by acoustic orchestras. Although such mid 1970s bands as Kraftwerk had pioneered all-electronic music, it has been said that this song is the first disco-style song recorded with an entirely synthesized backing track, and has been enormously influential in the development of disco, electronica, house and techno thanks to Giorgio Moroder's innovative production. In particular, the song popularised the insistent, robotic bass line, which has been frequently imitated ever since.

quote:
According to David Bowie, then in the middle of his own groundbreaking 'Berlin Trilogy', its impact on the genre's direction was recognized early on:
  • "One day in Berlin ... [Brain] Eno came running in and said, 'I have heard the sound of the future.' … he puts on 'I Feel Love', by Donna Summer … He said, 'This is it, look no further. This single is going to change the sound of club music for the next fifteen years.' Which was more or less right."

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-10-2008 16:07 Homepage of thechronic
Astrocyte Astrocyte is a male
Chef 'n' Bass

images/avatars/avatar-2777.jpg

Registration Date: 24-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Plus, its actually not a bad track (even though some may be rather embarrased to admit that)

__
Astrocyte - Kill em All, Track #10 from Team_174 "Off World" LP (FREE)
28-10-2008 16:49
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by Phyella
Plus, its actually not a bad track (even though some may be rather embarrased to admit that)

I'm not, I love this sound. Big Grin It definitely sounds way ahead of its time. I didn't realise it was produced in the 70s. I would have put money on this being produced in mid 80s. Blondie must have been heavily influenced by this.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
28-10-2008 19:16 Homepage of Tomos
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I still think it's a great track, Moroder has done some fantastic shit over the years.
That bassline is simple yet effective. Can be made as a ringtone on a very primitive phone and you'd still recognize it.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
28-10-2008 19:54 Homepage of BattleDrone
Chef 'n' Bass

Helpfulness rating: 

Yes, its only when you realise when it was made that you truly appreciate the influence it had.

@thechronic - good post sir, this should be a regular thing
Seminal tracks through the years or something!

__
28-10-2008 20:16
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

flippin hec i used to listen to what i now no is a remix of this a few years ago!!
cant belive this was released a year before i was born.

i wonder what the closest thing to this was at the time?
29-10-2008 10:26
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
It definitely sounds way ahead of its time. I didn't realise it was produced in the 70s. I would have put money on this being produced in mid 80s. Blondie must have been heavily influenced by this.

Hehe I had exactly the same feeling, I also placed it in the 80's.

The Blondie connection is well spotted, Deborah Harry worked with the same producer:

quote:
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blondie_(band)
Deborah Harry worked with the Italian songwriter and producer Giorgio Moroder, who had been responsible for Donna Summer's biggest hits, and they composed the song "Call Me" for the soundtrack of the film American Gigolo.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
29-10-2008 11:35 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

A lot of those big 80's anthems that got house-remixes in the new millennium were originally done by him as producer. He even made the soundtrack of the original Battlestar Galactica series.

Imagine, he even sings this song (the male part is his voice) Happy

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-10-2008 14:07 Homepage of BattleDrone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I still think it's a great track, Moroder has done some fantastic shit over the years.
That bassline is simple yet effective. Can be made as a ringtone on a very primitive phone and you'd still recognize it.

I concur. The Duel is also a high-quality electronic musica piece.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
29-10-2008 15:55 Homepage of Muad'Dib
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

This might sound very strange but I think this song, and the people behind it, probably influenced electronic music more than any anyone else. In the uk at least. Everyone here, all the original producers that made rave/hardcore and what later became dnb, would've grown up listening to the strange electronic sounds and songs created by the BBC's Radiophonic Workshop.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LF2x5IKxmAQ&feature=related

And when you consider how it was made, there were no synthesisers in those days, it's a real work of genius imo.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cKPGzX5kZd0
30-10-2008 12:25
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Wow very interesting documentary!!

Didn't know the Dr Who theme was made using tape editing Shocked Reminds me of my all night tape cutting sessions in audio engineering school Big Grin

__
30-10-2008 14:33 Homepage of thechronic
Chef 'n' Bass

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

Originally posted by thechronic
Didn't know the Dr Who theme was made using tape editing Reminds me of my all night tape cutting sessions in audio engineering school

Hm yes... just read that in this month's Computer Music, an article about setting limitations on yourself to increase creativity.
The original Doctor Who theme was composed by the late Delia Derbyshire, whose compositions were mostly "made using tone generators and mono tape machines rather than synthesisers as we now know them".
Which apparently made her "radically inventive" Used to spend weeks working on a bassline - "cutting and pasting small snippets of tape".

Theres some lessons in there I think Smile

(thanks to CM magazine for the info)

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Astrocyte: 30-10-2008 15:55.

30-10-2008 15:53
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » 1977: the track that defined modern dance music