drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » When & Why did you start Producing?
Go to the bottom of this page When & Why did you start Producing?
Author
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

ez peeps, just me being a curious bugger again wanted to when and why u started producing.... did you start off just doing DnB from day 1? what inspired you to start makin ur own tunes?

as for me: kinda ended up being a logical progression really, I heard my first jungle tune when I was 14 but didn't really get into DnB until '99 when I came to settle in the UK. Used to go out raving loads when I was at uni in my first year, really it was a life changing experience (cheeeeese!! lol but true) the whole culture the whole sound everything about dnb at that time really left an impression on me that no other type of music ever has (or ever will i reckon)

so yeah raver to bedroom dj, bedroom dj to fl demo mess arounder and eventually reasonhead / cubase wannabe. Really when I was growing up I tried to play the piano (failed couldn't read music), again in my teens tried playing the guitar (failed, ditto), when I started getting my head round some of the basics of producing i thought this was wicked how i could in effect be a 1 man band, little did i know then how hard it would be! so i started producing around 2002 gave up after 2 years of messing about, only been serious since late 2007 (since i joined dotbe! Big Grin )

but seein my own progression over the last year has given me the motivation to keep on a producin!

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 20-10-2008 13:30.

20-10-2008 13:26 Homepage of Ketz
Astrocyte Astrocyte is a male
Chef 'n' Bass

images/avatars/avatar-2777.jpg

Registration Date: 24-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Lemme see now, first got into early hardcore/rave/whatever-you-wanna-call-it-I'm-not-fussy when I was about 10-11 years old through my mates big brothers etc. Then jungle kinda grew out of it and Scotland and England split down the middle musically. I was one of not many in my area listening to it and even then we were more preoccupied with the Scottish bouncy techno/dutch hardcore that was creeping in.
I heard that Urban Shakedown used to produce using an Amiga and I happened to have an A1200 and a copy of OctaMED (tracker).
So I thought, well hey I can do it too (even though I'm only a young teenager)
So there I sat in me bedroom for hours on end with only a couple of samples learning how to use it. Then I bought an 8bit sampler(!) and started recording little tracks (only hardcore, my mates would've kicked my ass had I dared to give them some breakbeats lol) to tape for me mates.
Got my decks a wee bit later, that kinda took over a bit, and then PCs started getting big and strong.
Me and a few mates started using cubase, cakewalk whatever we could get our hands on but it still wasn't as great as the tracker as we had no gear!
I made it (somewhat quietly) my ambition to become a dance music producer, everyone thought I was nuts.
Then I left school with the intention (I threw away all my A-levels for this) of hitting music production courses at the local college.
Unfortunately things didn't go according to plan (family business) and we moved away etc. etc. blah blah blah.
So recently (past 6 or so months) I started using Reason to make backing tracks for the guitar but got a bit sidetracked and have gone back to what I loved in the first place.

I have a long way to go but I'm sticking with it Big Grin

__
Astrocyte - Kill em All, Track #10 from Team_174 "Off World" LP (FREE)
20-10-2008 17:17
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I started producing somewhere in 1995 I think, in just a wave editor. Switched to Fast Tracker in 1996, and kept using that for many years. Switched to Buzz in, dunno, 2002 or so, and Reason in late 2003. I still use Reason.

I started producing rave and trance, did some hardcore and experimental/industrial/techno kind of stuff too, until I came in to contact with DnB, in late 1999. Started doing that right away.

I still mostly produce DnB, but sometimes I make progressive trance with breakbeats, and I've also made some New Beat in 2005, with a release on Pias.
Oh yeah, I also had a Trance release in 1998 on Underground Files. Supposedly the B side was very popular in the Zillion at the time, but I've never been there, so I didn't witness it.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

20-10-2008 20:28 Homepage of Surya
Binary Havoc Binary Havoc is a male
Binary Havoc

images/avatars/avatar-2473.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

EZ

Well, I started producing electronic music around 92-93 when heavily into Goa trance, clubbing every weekend and getting extremely high. Used Amiga 500 and Octomed Rinse then moved onto a program called musicX also on the amiga. Started getting into Jungle around that kind of time "Feel the sunshine" by Alex Reese, Inner City life, Ni ten Itchi Ryu etc etc. I then pretty much gave up producing for about 10 years although did take an HND in Sound Engineering to play bass guitar in an alt. country-esque band. We had some reasonable success (Couple of singles, management deal with Sanctuary Music, 2 Peel sessions etc) but that kind of imploded around about the time we all started to have kids n wives etc. (The bands still going, check out www.friendsofthestars.co.uk for some old recordings from the time I was still playing with them!!!) Anyway, came full circle and got back into drum n bass seriously around 2004 when I picked up a copy of reason. Since moved into Nuendo via Cubase with a bit of Ableton live thrown in when I feel the need to DJ!!!

Good thread!

__
http://soundcloud.com/binaryhavoc/dropbox

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Binary Havoc: 20-10-2008 21:08.

20-10-2008 21:07 Homepage of Binary Havoc
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I went through a few periods where I would get the FL demo and produce for a few days, then forget about it for a year, etc...

I started producing seriously in September of last year. I was really disappointed with the art program at my university and it was killing the joy of art for me. Also, I didn't have access to any of the tools I needed to sculpt or access to studio space at school.

A friend sent me "Streamline" by Pendulum and told me to make something like it, so I just started figuring it out. I found the .be forum and started contacting some of the folks here, sending stuff that I would be embarrassed to call mine today! But I got a lot of help, and I really enjoyed production Smile

Also I smoked for the first time in December. A lot of people write stuff high that is complete shit the next morning but I found that my compositions would hold up sober! So that helped too...

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
20-10-2008 22:33 Homepage of Phalanx
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Into composing for 20 years now. I started on a Commodore 64 and then moved on to the Commodore Amiga. I made a game soundtrack and a couple of tunes for Computer demos. In the early 90's I worked together with a local DJ on some techno productions, 3 of those tunes made it to vinyl release. I moved deeper into techno and listened to repetitive stomping German and Swedish releases only for a couple of years, but over time I got sick and tired of Techno as I felt there was something missing. It doesn't have a "soul", it's just made to get the crowds wild and make them move. Most of those tunes are forgotten after 2 minutes.

My first experience with Jungle was as early as 1994 (M-Beat feat. General Levy - Incredible). Back then I thought it was really wicked, especially the drums which were so different form stomping techno. It wasn't until 2000 until I picked up some techsteppers and realised that this was a style with huge potential. I first used a tracker program on PC too, made some shit with rebirth, but that was too limited and only good for acid. Then I hopped onto FL Studio (right from the start), tried Reason (v1) and went back to FL where I still am today.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
20-10-2008 23:20 Homepage of BattleDrone
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Into composing for 20 years now. I started on a Commodore 64 and then moved on to the Commodore Amiga. I made a game soundtrack and a couple of tunes for Computer demos. In the early 90's I worked together with a local DJ on some techno productions, 3 of those tunes made it to vinyl release. I moved deeper into techno and listened to repetitive stomping German and Swedish releases only for a couple of years, but over time I got sick and tired of Techno as I felt there was something missing. It doesn't have a "soul", it's just made to get the crowds wild and make them move. Most of those tunes are forgotten after 2 minutes.

My first experience with Jungle was as early as 1994 (M-Beat feat. General Levy - Incredible). Back then I thought it was really wicked, especially the drums which were so different form stomping techno. It wasn't until 2000 until I picked up some techsteppers and realised that this was a style with huge potential. I first used a tracker program on PC too, made some shit with rebirth, but that was too limited and only good for acid. Then I hopped onto FL Studio (right from the start), tried Reason (v1) and went back to FL where I still am today.

Nice copy/paste from your Myspace Big Grin

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
21-10-2008 05:34 Homepage of Phalanx
Sundancer Sundancer is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2721.png

Registration Date: 27-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.50

I started composing trance music in 2003 (i think...) on Skale tracker, later Renoise. I don't know exactly why I started making music, I always loved good instrumental music, probably I felt as a way of expressing myself.

Then I took a longer break. Meanwhile I slowly moved away from commercial music and got involved more and more into the undeground scene. This is when I found techno, psytrance, breakbeat and drum'n'bass.

I was attracted of the high groovy tempo of the dnb, so eventually one year ago I found myself composing again, this time dnb.

My tracks still seem a bit trancy, probably inherited from my previous style.

Sundancer.

__
Add me up on MySpace (link changed): myspace.com/SundancerDnb
21-10-2008 09:27 Homepage of Sundancer
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

was listening and raving to hardcore/jungle early 90's used to dj a few sets (mostley in my bedroom lol) stoped listening to dnb about 98-99 ish and converted to acoustic rock and folky kinda music. thats when i got a guitar, and gently weeped away the next few years. so a few years ago i came across a a demo of sony acid pro and started recording myself thru a dodgy pc mic. that progressed into making drum patterns . and oneday eventualy i thought hhmmmm i wonder if i could make a drum n bass track.

i never eva new how people made music on computers and never realised how cheap it is to start. i had a c64 and an amiga while i was growing up and apparently you could make music on them. im so gutterd i never got into this ealyer..........looks like i have alot of catching up to do.
21-10-2008 10:15
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by MinasTirithGuard
quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone

Nice copy/paste from your Myspace Big Grin

Not quite, I added and removed some stuff Prrr

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
21-10-2008 10:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
Chef 'n' Bass

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by the moneyshot
was listening and raving to hardcore/jungle early 90's used to dj a few sets (mostley in my bedroom lol) stoped listening to dnb about 98-99 ish and converted to acoustic rock and folky kinda music. thats when i got a guitar, and gently weeped away the next few years. so a few years ago i came across a a demo of sony acid pro and started recording myself thru a dodgy pc mic. that progressed into making drum patterns . and oneday eventualy i thought hhmmmm i wonder if i could make a drum n bass track.

i never eva new how people made music on computers and never realised how cheap it is to start. i had a c64 and an amiga while i was growing up and apparently you could make music on them. im so gutterd i never got into this ealyer..........looks like i have alot of catching up to do.

Yes mate, my 8 bit sampler cost me £30 back in, plugged into me printer port I believe, took me months to convince me mum I wasn't sending off for some 'hacking device' lol.
It was me dad I first saw using a computer for music, he hadn't a clue but he had something (not sure what) on the Atari ST520 and a shitty home MIDI Casio and that got me wondering. Then he used MusicX (@BinaryHavoc, I haven't heard anyone mention that program in years mate!) for about a week and that was that.
My copy of OctaMED was free with AmigaFormat magazine lol, so my only expenditure was the tapes I was sampling from hehe
I was lucky to kinda fall into it

__
21-10-2008 11:14
str8 outa nocash

Helpfulness rating: 

have you or anyone else got anything i can listen to that you made on one of these hi-tec systems. just curiouse what kinda sounds i missed out on!!
21-10-2008 11:31
Chef 'n' Bass

Helpfulness rating: 

Unfortunately mate all my old tapes are either wrecked or taped over 1000 times since the 90's Crying

OctaMED is still going, its now MED Soundstudio, you can dl a version from there and as a pretty decent example you can get Urban Shakedown's (Mickey Finn/Aphrodite) Some Justice as a MED file for ya to have a look at/listen/play around with.

I did it a few months back and still cannot believe how proficient I was with this program at a young age, lol.

HTH

__
21-10-2008 12:26
Chef 'n' Bass

Helpfulness rating: 

Bear in mind though, that they did have some decent gear besides an Amiga, 8bit sampler and a tracker (unlike me!) Smile

And I believe it was pre-OctaMED (just MED) that they used tho I'm not 100%

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Astrocyte: 21-10-2008 12:30.

21-10-2008 12:28
str8 outa nocash

Helpfulness rating: 

cheers fella, thanks for the link.
21-10-2008 14:04
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Hmm, let me see...
well, I was on an excursion with my high-school class (first year, I was then 15 y. old, way back in 2001) and one friend of mine went to a music shop and bought Roni Size's Touching Down album. That was the revelation!
He threw a copy of cracked FL Studio 4 to me, and I started producing. I tried making some dnb but wasn't working, so I continued making electro/techno/trance. After a few years, decided to try dnb again, and it worked somehow, and I continued to make it.

In recent years, I diverged into many styles - techno, dnb, breakbeat, rock, metal, electronica with this rock/metal stuff... I plan to make some downtempo stuff once I get a hold of it.

Been djing for about a year now, and ppl say I'm good (because I've been a bedroom dj for about 5 years now Big Grin ).

That's my story.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-10-2008 01:35 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » When & Why did you start Producing?