drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Recording from mixer to laptop mic input
Go to the bottom of this page Recording from mixer to laptop mic input
Author
Mr. Tuff

images/avatars/avatar-2867.gif

Registration Date: 26-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hey guys, need a little help and figured this was the right place.
Just bought myself a new set of Technics SL-DZ1200 CD turntables and I'm trying to record from my mixer straight to sound forge on my laptop. Only problem is I'm running Vista (being the biggest problem!), and I only have a mic in and no line-in. My laptop isn't picking up anything at all when I plug my record out from my mixer into my mic in on my laptop. Any ideas how to change this mic in to line in , or why my laptop isn't picking up the signal?
Thanks for any advice in advance ppl, Tuff.

My laptop is HP Pavillion DV9500
Mixer is Numark DM3002X

__
Huh
17-10-2008 21:56 Homepage of TuffDread
TuffDread TuffDread is a male
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

Is anybody else having this problem? Still havn't had any luck, I've just formatted my hard drives and reinstalled vista, so maybe it was the drivers, I'll let you know soon as I've tried incase anybody else does have the same problem. Tuff.

__
Huh
18-10-2008 15:58 Homepage of TuffDread
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I do not have the problem you’re talking about as I resist using Vista…

Anyway, if I want to record stuff through my mixer I’m working with this little device:

http://www.behringer.com.au/UCA202/?lang=ENG

It is cheap, ok quality wise and very easy to use. So if you can’t fix it you could go for it.

Cheers!
18-10-2008 16:34 Homepage of Gregg
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

have you ever tried using a mic on the mic input yet? I think in vista the mic is standard muted, but I could be wrong.

As mic inputs are usually mono and mixer output is stereo, pretty much the only way to convert them properly, is buying an external audio card with line input.

Unlike in xp, you cannot acces the sound settings from right-clicking the speaker icon in the taskbar, but you need to go to control panel/sound to be able to set things right.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
19-10-2008 20:33 Homepage of djfreemc
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks for the help guys.
I've tried every setting in Vista control panel now and its just not working. i've right clicked and selected show disabled and every possible input is listed but none work. guess i'm gonna have to buy a sound card now. does anybody know of a decent external card i can buy? that isn't going to conflict with my current sound card? that's the problem. I'm recording using sound forge aswell so there is no problem with the program.
Thanks again for your help.
Tuff

__
Huh
20-10-2008 21:55 Homepage of TuffDread
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

All good sound cards are compatible with anything. In your recording software you can just select which device you want to record with.

I did give up on Vista for audio work. I used it for over a year but got fed up with it after a never ending amount of problems. Now I have XP Pro on my laptop again and everything works flawlessly.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
03-11-2008 13:21 Homepage of thechronic
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah Vista isnt the best OS I totally agree there but it came preloaded on the laptop and I can't find all hardware drivers needed for XP only Vista drivers. Thanks for the advice tho chronic, I'm currently looking at the NI AUDIO KONTROL 1 sound card. I can get this on ebay with novation nocturn for around £180.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Native-Instruments...p3286.m63.l1177
Does this seem a good choice to you?
Thanks in advance for the advice.

__
Huh
27-03-2009 12:52 Homepage of TuffDread
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Recording from mixer to laptop mic input