drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Questions on Stereo Imaging Analyzers?
Go to the bottom of this page Questions on Stereo Imaging Analyzers?
Author
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

So I'm monitoring my stereo mapping through Ozone (the feature that allows you to use stereo imaging... it looks like a group of diamonds with scribbles in the center spreading outward) .... more or less my question is, how can I tell if I'm using this right, besides using my ear... I try to make sure everything spreads out evenly and not TOO far... I've heard some people say that they pan their hi ends "all over" the place, which makes me thin of layers and samples panned 100% Left or Right... in my head, I thin this would sound very bizarre, I don't want it to sound like one set of hi hats or whatever are coming out of one speaker and another set is coming out of another... so I've been reading and using my ear... just curious as to what this stereo imaging can tell me...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
17-10-2008 11:31 Homepage of J.Rabbit
CLARKFADER
unregistered
yeah , i dont know this , but good question !!!!!
17-10-2008 12:37
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

i would never use ozone to widen any parts of your mix, the width should be created during the production and mixing.
i.e panning samples, drum hits and use of wide synths etc.

What ozone should really be used for is controlling the width. by this i mean actually pulling it narrower if its really needed.

I especially narrow the low end (usually all the way making it monoi) if im going to get it cut to dub or play it out on any medium.

Same goes for any stereo width tool/plug-ing......good for narrowing width but can really fuck your sounds when you try to use them to make things wider

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

17-10-2008 13:18 Homepage of D2o
Astrocyte Astrocyte is a male
Chef 'n' Bass

images/avatars/avatar-2777.jpg

Registration Date: 24-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

yup, I made an arse of the last mix of me track by playing with Reasons stereo imager and forgetting to turn it off when I was finished. All me panning went to buggery.
You can really screw a mix with those things unless used (very) judiciously and with extreme caution.
Lesson learned!

__
Astrocyte - Kill em All, Track #10 from Team_174 "Off World" LP (FREE)
17-10-2008 13:21
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Just do it on ear Big Grin

If it sounds right it's right, no matter what some fancy analyzer tells you.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
17-10-2008 13:32 Homepage of thechronic
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic

great advice from the man himself!! lol thats what I always tell people tho - use ur ears! Big Grin

personally i don't pan very much in any of my tunes, if i do it i don't do it subtly where u can hardly hear it (whats the point?! Tongue ) i do it so it is actually used for effect (eg an fx of some sort before a drop maybe pan it noticeably there) plus wasn't it on here that someone said (or a link moneyshot put up i think) that says a lot of club sound systems can be mono anyways?

__

17-10-2008 14:05 Homepage of Ketz
Astrocyte Astrocyte is a male
Chef 'n' Bass

images/avatars/avatar-2777.jpg

Registration Date: 24-09-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
quote:

great advice from the man himself!! lol thats what I always tell people tho - use ur ears! Big Grin

personally i don't pan very much in any of my tunes, if i do it i don't do it subtly where u can hardly hear it (whats the point?! Tongue ) i do it so it is actually used for effect (eg an fx of some sort before a drop maybe pan it noticeably there) plus wasn't it on here that someone said (or a link moneyshot put up i think) that says a lot of club sound systems can be mono anyways?

Yeh they tend to be mono. I suppose it depends where your track is destined for, if it's destined for 'home' listening then I guess it's important but if you're just banging out tunes for clubs then... there you go!

__
Astrocyte - Kill em All, Track #10 from Team_174 "Off World" LP (FREE)
17-10-2008 15:17
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Hmm... I usually pan my hihats/rides/crashes. Ok, maybe the crash not so often, but still. I never pan my low end (although, sometimes it might sound good, as in Aphrodite - Dub Moods for example), and very VERY rarely the middle end (talking about ozone mastering here).
After I pan the high end with my sequencer, I add some stereo width with ozone during mastering. The original + ozone panning adds some incredible space to the high-end, something I cannot achieve normally (except if I use ozone for stereo width addition on the separate channels, of course).
It's something like phase distortions of panning - gives a nice, warm feeling (and a bit awkward, if you're not used to it).

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
18-10-2008 02:58 Homepage of Muad'Dib
void
Tourist

Registration Date: 11-10-2008

anybody have any idea as to what that correlation bar is showing in ozone?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by void: 19-10-2008 01:35.

19-10-2008 01:35
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by void
anybody have any idea as to what that correlation bar is showing in ozone?

It shows the phase correlation probably. You can use this to check if your mix is in phase.

For most applications this is very important. If your mix is out of phase it won't sound right in mono and it will be impossible to cut on vinyl. It will also sound very artificial for people who are sensitive to phase differences.

If on the other hand you make new age music consisting mainly of sound effects, pads, tinkling bells and singing dolphins you have to make sure it is as much out of phase as possible or you will alienate your audience.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
19-10-2008 15:37 Homepage of thechronic
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

the correlation is bassically a representation of phase.

+1 means perfectly in phase and as you can guess -1 means perfectly out of phase.

So basically when you play your mix through it you want the meter to be hanging around the +1 end.

One neat trick of ozone is a way to see what you are potentially cancelling out.

Tick the box marked "show channel ops"

then click "mono"

then click "invert L" or "Invert R"

what you should be hearing now is exactly what will be cancelled out if your mix is summed to mono.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 19-10-2008 15:40.

19-10-2008 15:39 Homepage of D2o
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:

When you have trained ears your suggestion works...
In the beginning people need guidelines, later on you don't need them anymore because you'll develop a feel for such things.
When you get your hands on a tool like Ozone for the first time you might feel like a kid in a candyshop when you haven't got the proper education. Big phat troll sound will come out.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
20-10-2008 00:01 Homepage of BattleDrone
J.Rabbit J.Rabbit is a male
Creativity through Mental Illness...

images/avatars/avatar-2547.gif

Registration Date: 12-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost
i would never use ozone to widen any parts of your mix, the width should be created during the production and mixing.
i.e panning samples, drum hits and use of wide synths etc.

What ozone should really be used for is controlling the width. by this i mean actually pulling it narrower if its really needed.

I especially narrow the low end (usually all the way making it monoi) if im going to get it cut to dub or play it out on any medium.

Same goes for any stereo width tool/plug-ing......good for narrowing width but can really fuck your sounds when you try to use them to make things wider

I'm really not using Ozone to do shit other than double check my stereo mapping... I mean, I might use some of the effects during production, but as far as the mixdown process and stereo mapping is concerened - I'm usually just panning my hi hats/rides and some break layers slightly and seperating them... I was just curious as to what the diamond graph is representing... I actually spoke to a good friend with more knowledge on the subject than myself and he said that it's not vital or as useful as the spectrum analyzer, it more or less represents like surround sound or something like that, he was telling me to pay attention to the correlation bar, and ghost answered that, so thank you....

thanks for the help everyone, I actually just went back and put everything that I've worked on into stereo and the difference is amazing...

__
www.myspace.com/jrabbit

"Clownstep is a derisory term, used by certain listeners to describe a certain style in a negative way, it's not a subgenre as such, but most producers would feel insulted by the labelling of their music as "clownstep"."
21-10-2008 12:43 Homepage of J.Rabbit
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Questions on Stereo Imaging Analyzers?