drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » problem with izotope ozone in FL Studio
Go to the bottom of this page problem with izotope ozone in FL Studio
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 11-10-2008

Everytime I turn on the harmonic exciter or multi band dynamics on a track in the mixer, it makes that track slightly delayed. Anybody have any idea as to what is causing it or what I can do to prevent it?

I tried playing with the delay compensation in the fruity loops mixer but I can't seem to get it right. It's hard to judge such a small difference. Is there a way to prevent the delay from happening in the first place or am I just stuck using the delay compensation until I get the value right ?
14-10-2008 03:49
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

I used to get a similar problem with Ozone. Ozone is a very powerful, but big user of resorces. You maybe better of bouncing the track.

Must admit, those Izotope fx are amazing. I wish it was possible to incorperate them in Reason.

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
14-10-2008 04:36
void
Tourist

quote:
Originally posted by brucifer
I used to get a similar problem with Ozone. Ozone is a very powerful, but big user of resorces. You maybe better of bouncing the track.

What do you mean bouncing? My rig is pretty beastly, I don't know about it using too many resources.

quote:

Must admit, those Izotope fx are amazing. I wish it was possible to incorperate them in Reason.

FL Studio + Rewire + Reason? Is it possible to route the output from a reason synth into an FL Studio mixer track ? There has got to be a way to do that .. I'm gonna re-install reason and mess around with it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by void: 14-10-2008 04:56.

14-10-2008 04:54
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I guess the plugin simply hasn’t been design to be used on single tracks (or to a real time audio plug) as if you use it for the whole mix you wouldn’t mind those latency issues it causes.

By bouncing Brucy probably meant exporting the single track that you’ve edited with Ozone and bounce it back into your sequencer.

oh yeah, to fix it read the Ozone manual. It says how the problem can be solved/reduced.

Or use the PDC in your FL Studio which should fix processing delays between in- and output (FL Studio  manual, search for “PDC”).

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Gregg: 14-10-2008 11:21.

14-10-2008 11:02 Homepage of Gregg
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by void
Everytime I turn on the harmonic exciter or multi band dynamics on a track in the mixer, it makes that track slightly delayed. Anybody have any idea as to what is causing it or what I can do to prevent it?

I tried playing with the delay compensation in the fruity loops mixer but I can't seem to get it right. It's hard to judge such a small difference. Is there a way to prevent the delay from happening in the first place or am I just stuck using the delay compensation until I get the value right ?

The delay will happen because the options you activated in Ozone need a certain amount of audio to calculate the result. There are some great tutorial videos about Ozone, in one of the videos you'll see how to compensate the latency delay. This doesn't work all the time though.

One of the big disadvantages of FL studio is the lack of auto delay compensation. This technique is available in more expensive pieces of software like Cubase and Pro Tools.

If you need to do it yourself: run a simple bass kick through 2 mixer channels. One leaves the sound untouched (zero delay) one has Ozone on it. Choose the options you want and let the kick play continuously. you'll hear 2 kicks with a little delay. Check the channel with no delay on it and try to compensate the delay on that one. When you do it right you should hear one stronger kick.
You need to delay every channel that doens't have ozone on it with the same amount. To avoid having to set the delay on each seperate channel, route all those channels into one other channel where you set the delay.
Don't use 2 instances of Ozone on different channels, the trick with latency delay will become too hard to handle.

Best thing to avoid all this clutter is to put Ozone on the master and bounce the sounds you want "ozoned" through it. Then reload this sound and remove Ozone.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
14-10-2008 11:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

There is automatic delay compensation in FL Studio (with the latency settings in the audio dialog window). But I agree it should have a more advanced latency compensation system.

BTW I never had any latency problems with Ozone! Don't know what's the exact problem, you might have to put more RAM on your pc... hmmm

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
14-10-2008 15:08 Homepage of Muad'Dib
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
There is automatic delay compensation in FL Studio (with the latency settings in the audio dialog window). But I agree it should have a more advanced latency compensation system.

BTW I never had any latency problems with Ozone! Don't know what's the exact problem, you might have to put more RAM on your pc... hmmm

I have 2GB ram, as much as Windows XP can handle.

The problem is not a real problem with hardware that can't deal with a lot of required power. It's the maths in Ozone that have to look ahead to calculate the resulted data for certain effects.

__
14-10-2008 15:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
void
Tourist

quote:

I couldn't find any automatic delay compensation in FL Studio. What do you mean the audio panel? Options->Audio Settings?

As far as putting more ram.. I have 4 gigs .. 3.25 of which is recognized by Windows XP. My ram usage in FL studio could be as low as 200 mb when I'm experiencing the delay. CPU Usage is barely at 10% .. This leads me to believe its not the hardware, its just the algorithm itself is slow like BattleDrone mentioned.

Gregg, I've been using the PDC in FL Studio, it's hard to sync it up as perfect as I would like it. I'll check the manual out though to look for what they have to say about it.

Battle Drone, thanks for the advice regarding using 2 seperate tracks. Hopefully that'll make it easier to adjust the PDC by ear. If not, i'll bounce it out and reload it as was mentioned earlier.

quote:

Don't use 2 instances of Ozone on different channels, the trick with latency delay will become too hard to handle.

Do you mean that if I stick Ozone on one track + adjust the PDC then stick it on another track, the PDC on the first track will need to be readjusted? I'll play with that as well. I'm hoping that's not the case since this doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. I guess I'll find out soon enough..
14-10-2008 17:19
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

If you hover your mouse cursor over the plug-in's fx slot, in the mixer, you can see how much it needs adjusting.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by selig: 14-10-2008 18:36.

14-10-2008 18:31
selig
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

For more info read this.

http://www.flstudio.com/help/html/effect..._trackprops.htm
14-10-2008 18:37
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Don't know what's the exact problem, as I don't experience it. Windows XP can handle up to 3 GB of RAM, BTW. I have 3 GB and Intel Core 2 Duo 1.44 GHz processor.

Maybe it's your audio buffer. Do you use ASIO drivers (asio4all)? You cannot increase the hardware in-built buffer, but you can emulate additional with Asio4All. If that's the problem.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
14-10-2008 20:07 Homepage of Muad'Dib
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

OK, if your computer is so super, download this file (which is a zipped loop file for FL Studio 7) and tell me if you hear (and see) 2 kicks being played all the time instead of one.
To compare it, switch to pattern 2 and listen for the clap to be played with latency delay compensation.

__
14-10-2008 21:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
OK, if your computer is so super, download this file (which is a zipped loop file for FL Studio 7) and tell me if you hear (and see) 2 kicks being played all the time instead of one.
To compare it, switch to pattern 2 and listen for the clap to be played with latency delay compensation.

I hear the two kick, but I don't hear the two claps (although, I get different tone when I turn off the delay compensation for the clap).
So my computer is quasi-super, then.

__

-Bene Gesserit
18-10-2008 02:53 Homepage of Muad'Dib
void
Tourist

quote:

If you hover your mouse cursor over the plug-in's fx slot, in the mixer, you can see how much it needs adjusting.

This doesn't work for all plugs. For ozone all it says is "FX Slot 1"

quote:

Maybe it's your audio buffer. Do you use ASIO drivers (asio4all)? You cannot increase the hardware in-built buffer, but you can emulate additional with Asio4All. If that's the problem.

I'm using MOTU's ASIO drivers that came with the 828mkII that I'm using.

quote:

I hear the two kicks. The izotope one is delayed. The claps are hitting at the same time because one has 16.98ms seconds delay compensation on the track. Did you set that automatically?

I did a bunch of reading and research on this in Izotope manual and it basically just says to play with the buffer sizes until it sounds right and the CPU usage is minimal. My CPU is at 4% usage and only using 99MB of RAM so it can't be a hardware issue. Playing with the buffers does nothing my CPU goes from 4% to a max of 8.

What I did notice that is handy is that in Ozone's options in the general tab it actually tells you the amount of delay in milliseconds however its built in delay compensation does nothing. If I set the PDC to that amount it sounds perfect. So I guess that's cool but yea.. its probably still better to bounce it out .. It can become a mess if I start sticking this on more then one track.

quote:

Windows XP can handle up to 3 GB of RAM, BTW.

Its 4 actually .. 32 bit Operating system = 2^32 addressable bytes = 4294967296 bytes of addressable memory

Some of that is reserved by the OS( usually half + video memory virtual memory and whatever else. Its going to vary from system to system.) On mine it recognizes 2.75 .. Used to be 3.25 last time I checked.. not sure what happened. I built a rig for my friend and on his it recognized 3.75 of it.
18-10-2008 07:31
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:

Windows XP can handle up to 3 GB of RAM, BTW.

Its 4 actually .. 32 bit Operating system = 2^32 addressable bytes = 4294967296 bytes of addressable memory

Some of that is reserved by the OS( usually half + video memory virtual memory and whatever else. Its going to vary from system to system.) On mine it recognizes 2.75 .. Used to be 3.25 last time I checked.. not sure what happened. I built a rig for my friend and on his it recognized 3.75 of it.

http://sandarenu.blogspot.com/2008/02/ma...windows-xp.html
quote:
Recently I assembled a new computer with 4GB RAM. My motherboard supports up to 8GB RAM and Widows XP supports 4GB RAM so no problem.....
But when I open the System Properties, it shows only 3.23GB of RAM. Where did the rest go?...
...Reason is XP uses its 32bit address space not only to address memory but also to address some other components like System ROM , APIC(s),Integrated PCI devices, such as network connectors and SCSI controllers, PCI cards , Graphics card, etc... Because of this some part of the ram may not be accessible by the operating system since it ran out of address space.

__

-Bene Gesserit
18-10-2008 11:38 Homepage of Muad'Dib
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

quote:

In that case the current setting of Ozone don't cause any delay.

quote:

quote:
I hear the two kicks. The izotope one is delayed. The claps are hitting at the same time because one has 16.98ms seconds delay compensation on the track. Did you set that automatically?

I saw the required amount mouse cursor over the plug-in's fx slot in the mixer. I took a setting that causes delay ofcourse, deffo not after anything sounding good here Big Grin

__
18-10-2008 20:06 Homepage of BattleDrone
void
Tourist

quote:
quote:

quote:

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case when I tried that. I'm not sure if maybe I have to tweak some setting on somewhere in order for it to do that but it is definitely causing a delay in that example you sent me and definitely not showing anything when I hover my mouse over it. Perhaps I'm doing something else wrong.

Anyway, thanks for your guys help. Smile .. I think I can work around it now by setting the PDC to the amount of time specified in ozone itself in the general tab of the options screen.
19-10-2008 01:30
selig
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case when I tried that. I'm not sure if maybe I have to tweak some setting on somewhere in order for it to do that but it is definitely causing a delay in that example you sent me and definitely not showing anything when I hover my mouse over it. Perhaps I'm doing something else wrong.

Anyway, thanks for your guys help. Smile .. I think I can work around it now by setting the PDC to the amount of time specified in ozone itself in the general tab of the options screen.

I've not got ozone so I couldn't check but, according to the developers at fl studio, if it doesn't work it's the plug-ins fault.

Still, if you can get the time off ozone it doesn't really make any difference.
19-10-2008 10:51
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » problem with izotope ozone in FL Studio